none
Hibernation turns in to restart

Question

• I have windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM from technet plus.
    Hardware
    Motherboard: evga 780i
    Video card: 2X evga gtx280
    Sound Card: Creative x-fi xtremer gamer
    PSU: Corsair HX1000

The problem is when I hit the hibernate button and the computers starts to save all the contents from ram to HD it all goes fine till it sents the termination signal and the computer then shuts down and reboot if you where to reboot the computer. Then the computer POST and then it starts to resume from hibernation. Then I get to the login screen and then click on hibernation again then this time it works.
    I also have hybrid sleep off since I don't worry about power outage.
    Is this a know issue in windows 7 regarding hibernation. I have the latest whql drivers for my chipset and video card. This also happen in build 7100 aka windows 7 RC
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Digitalmind

There were several well documented bugs in the Windows 7 RC build.  The bug appears when a hardware/software component fails to re-initialize when the system resumes from Sleep or Hibernation or will not enter the suspend state. This is a small list of other issues that have been seen.

These bugs have only been seen on specific systems that have combinations of certain hardware/software installed.

The only way we have to deal with these issues in the RC build is to try and avoid using the Sleep/Hibernate functions as much as possible. If you experience this bug and still need to use the Sleep or Hibernate functions be aware that you could possibly lose any unsaved information in applications.

We are currently evaluating the RTM build to see if these particular problems been resolved.

See the following link for a list of other threads here on this topic and some fixes that have been posted.

Sleep/Hibernate Issues - Microsoft TechNet Forums Search

Updated: Some users have reported that this bug still exists in the RTM build. Work on this continues and hopefully will be resolved soon. Be sure to check Windows Update often and look for compatibility updates.

This particular bug has been tough to squash because it was also associated with several different Bios versions as well as several different hardware driver conflicts.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:08 PM