none
BSOD - driver IRQL less than or not equal....

Question

• Hi, I'm really hoping someone here can help with this problem. I was getting the shut down and "driver IRQL less than or not equal to" occasionally on my Vista install. read several posts online that pointed to video drivers and such - tried to update them. No help. Well I figured I was wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 anyway so why not and see if it solves the problem.

Ugrade went swimmingly - I checked out all the known issues with upgrading - had my fixes in place before starting - absolutely no problems. Except - I now get the BSOD driver IRQL less than or not equal to error on almost every boot - just after the desktop is loaded and sometimes immediately after boot.

So now I'm working in safe mode with networking in order to fix the problem. I got bluescreenview and read the last minidump file which is as follows:

Dump File: 122809-52119-01.dmp
    Crash Time: 12/28/2009 1:21:01 PMp
    Bug Check String:
    Bug Check Code: 0x00000124
    Parameter 1: 0x00000000
    Parameter 2: 0x868b88fc
    Parameter 3: 0x00000000
    Parameter 4: 0x00000000
    Caused By Driver: ntoskrnl.exe
    Caused By Address: ntoskrnl.exe+322493
    File Description: NT Kernel & System
    Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Company: Microsoft Corporation
    File Version: 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Processor: 32-bit
    Computer Name
    Full Path: C:\Windows\minidump\122809-52119-01.dmp
    Processors Count: 4
    Major Version: 15

I also ran the verifier and found it said there were no unsigned drivers.

I work from home on my puter and am dead in the water right now. Can anyone point me to a fix for this issue.

Connie

Monday, December 28, 2009 10:24 PM

Answers

• Your Dell bios is now up to 1.0.8

Systems: Dell Inspiron 518
    Version: 1.0.8
    Build Date: 03/30/2009

I'd recommend updating the bios. Also no windows 7 drivers for this machine, so if you run into any driver issues that Windows 7 update itself can't fix, try running the Dell drivers under Vista compatibility mode. Good luck with the rest of it, keep us updated on progress.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by borzoid Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hey Connie

It might or might not be a driver issue, i'll suggest you to run memtest or memory diagnostic to single out the possibility of having bad ram
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:35 PM
    Answerer
  • I did run a memory test and no errors were noted.  I have read about removing ram chips one at a time and rebooting to see if one or both are bad or switching them. 
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:41 PM
  • The bugcheck relates to audio. A little digging and I came up with this info

Alienware recently published a workaround for this problem. It worked for me:

It has been determined that the blue screen of death code 0x00000124 is caused by audio devices in Windows Vista.

This particular issue is industry-wide and can happen on any computer with a sound card or integrated audio and Windows Vista.

We have found a workaround to this issue which should help stabilize the system without sacrifing something as important as your computer's audio devices.

Please perform the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Go to the BIOS by pressing [DEL] during POST.
    2. Go to Advanced Chipset Features.
    3. Go to CPU Configuration
    4. Select C1E Enhanced Halt State and set it to Disabled
    5. Press [F10] to save the changes and exit.

See if what worked for this guy works for you. Let us know.  Also you didn't say what system you have or any of your devices identified, but do make sure you have the latest bios for your system as there was possibly a fix for this by now.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Care to share which memory utility you are running at? And if you could give us the system specs of your rig, that would help. Lastly have you thought of doing a fresh install instead of upgrade? Just a thought you are having a onboard graphic or graphic card?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:53 PM
    Answerer
  • The bugcheck relates to audio. A little digging and I came up with this info

Alienware recently published a workaround for this problem. It worked for me:

It has been determined that the blue screen of death code 0x00000124 is caused by audio devices in Windows Vista.

This particular issue is industry-wide and can happen on any computer with a sound card or integrated audio and Windows Vista.

We have found a workaround to this issue which should help stabilize the system without sacrifing something as important as your computer's audio devices.

Please perform the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Go to the BIOS by pressing [DEL] during POST.
    2. Go to Advanced Chipset Features.
    3. Go to CPU Configuration
    4. Select C1E Enhanced Halt State and set it to Disabled
    5. Press [F10] to save the changes and exit.

See if what worked for this guy works for you. Let us know.  Also you didn't say what system you have or any of your devices identified, but do make sure you have the latest bios for your system as there was possibly a fix for this by now.

Hi cdobbs  Thank you for your response - I tried going through your steps and the only things in advanced chipset features are
    init Display First              [PCI SLOT]
    video Memory Size          [8MB]

So possibly I am missing something there. 

Daniel Ho,  I'm not really sure what graphic card this pc is using.  It's a Dell Inspiron.  Core 2 quad originally with a vista install on it.   Under the device manager it shows ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro.

On a related note - I did compltely uninstall my security software (CA Security Suite) and rebooted and haven't crashed yet.  But before I try reinstalling it I want to make sure I've "actually" found the problem and am not just being lucky at the moment.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Which Dell Inspirion is it and what version of the CA Security Suite? I know 2010 is Windows 7 ready but not sure about earlier versions as I read a few reports of odd behavior.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:42 AM
  • CA security suite was 2009 I had tried 2010 several months ago but really didn't like the interface so went back to 2009.  so far so good, no crashes yet. But guess I'll have to go with 2010 now

inspiron 518
    X86-based PC
    BIOS Version    Dell Inc.  1.0.3   8/14/2008

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Your Dell bios is now up to 1.0.8

Systems: Dell Inspiron 518
    Version: 1.0.8
    Build Date: 03/30/2009

I'd recommend updating the bios. Also no windows 7 drivers for this machine, so if you run into any driver issues that Windows 7 update itself can't fix, try running the Dell drivers under Vista compatibility mode. Good luck with the rest of it, keep us updated on progress.
    • Marked as answer by borzoid Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Thanks so much - Will go get the updated BIOS now and try CA 2010 - if it breaks after that I'll dig further.

Connie
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Hello Borzoid,

First of all, upgrade BIOS to the latest version and restore it to the factory default; remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:39 AM
  • I upgraded the Dell BIOS but that didn't help.  So I did a bit more investigating and one stray forum post I came across said that virus scanner software could be the problem.  So in safe mode I completely uninstalled the CA security suite 2009 package.    The system came up and stayed up even after updates and reboots.

So far not a single problem.  When looking for a newer version of CA security suite I contacted their support and they told me that the 2009 version of the suite did not play well with Windows 7 and a lot of people had problems like mine because of it.  Not a single crash or glitch since uninstalling it.  They do have a 2010 version out that is configured to work with Windows 7 and I have installed that too.  Still no problems at all. 

It is odd that the error message points to a graphic driver but maybe the issues with the security suite were causing the system to stop early or some such and that's just what came up.  Don't know for sure - just know it's fixed.

Thank you for your time.

Connie
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Most likely defective cable form your harddrive. IDE cables are very fragile vs SATA. Second reason, bad memory module.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:50 PM
  • crawler, it won't be a hardware problem in that scenario otherwise it wouldn't matter what he did in the way of drivers, he would always have a probem that would be consistent. I've mangled more IDE cables in my computer career than you could ever imagined and I rarely break one (maybe 2 out of thousands). Early in my career, I use to find some techs glueing them to the motherboard connecter and to the device connector so they wouldn't work themselves loose (really BAD idea).
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:41 PM