none
Computer Name changed to MINWINPC

Question

• We have about 200 computers that show their computer name as "MINWINPC". Doing an "ipconfig /all" shows the original computer name but doing a "net user" shows the computer name as "MINWINPC". In the control panel applet - the original computer shows but the registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName shows as "MINWINPC". Users can still access the network but administrators are unable to remotely access those machines. The fix appears to be as simple as changing the registry key back to the original computer name(and rebooting) but I would like to figure out what is causing the issue. Some of the machines seem to have the name change occur after they have received the latest round of patches from Microsoft after the reboot. It is not happening to all our Vista machines. I have changed the computer name back the original, uninstalled all updates from the day of the name change and resintalled the patches but have been unsuccessful in recreating the problem. Any thoughts?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:54 PM

All replies

• I just started an install on a bare drive, using Vista DVD ... it to has the name minwinpc.

Not sure this answers why the name change is happening, but thought it may help in the search.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:03 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but a new patch is causing the same issue MS13-098. The only Microsoft submission I have found is in Japanese and is translated as follows:

Phenomenon

In Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista, you might not be able to log an error appears to apply the new update the following programs, if you try to log on after the restart. •  MS12-024 (KB2653956)
    •  MS13-098 (KB2893294)

Error message displayed is as follows.

Incorrect password or user name

Back to the top | feedback

Collapse image  Cause

This behavior occurs when you apply the update KB2653956 in the state of some data is damaged following registry key, or does not exist.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SCHEMA \ wcm :/ / Microsoft-Windows-CoreOS? ...

Any string will contain the part of the ... Note:.  Also, make sure to load the SystemRoot% \ system32 \ SMI \ Store \ Machine \ SCHEMA.DAT file% if the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SCHEMA does not exist.

When you apply the update of KB2653956 in the state where the registry key is not present, the value of the following registry is changed to MINWINPC, logon will not be able to.
    •  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ ComputerName \ ActiveComputerName
    •  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ ComputerName \ ComputerName

Collapse image  Solution

If this occurs, change to the correct computer name the value of the ComputerName registry and ActiveComputerName start in safe mode, has been mentioned above, and then restart.

Collapse image  Workaround

To prevent this phenomenon occurs, you download and run the System Update Readiness Tool from the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

By performing the system update Preparation tool registry that is described in Section Symptoms are repaired.
     If the repair is made, starting with log Recreated missing key as the following WinDir% \ Logs \ CBS \ CheckSUR.log file% is recorded.

Recreated missing key:? Wcm :/ / Microsoft-Windows-CoreOS ... \ metadata \ elements \ ComputerName

In addition, regardless of the presence or absence of entry damaged Microsoft-Windows-CoreOS, you can set the value of the ComputerName key in this tool.  For this reason, the following log is recorded in the CheckSUR.log.

Recreated value: @ _type.
     Recreated value: @ dataOnly.
     Recreated value: @ default.
     Recreated value: @ description.
     Recreated value: @ displayName.
     Recreated value: @ handler.
     Recreated value: @ legacyName.
     Recreated value: @ legacyType.
     Recreated value: @ migrate.
     Recreated value: @ scope.
     Recreated value: @ xsd: type.

Note: This is a "FAST PUBLISH" article created directly from within the Microsoft support organization.  It contains information in response to emerging issues are listed.  As a result of the speed of information provided may be typographical errors are included in the article, you might be revised at any time without prior notice.  For other considerations, and use conditions

Please refer to.

Collapse image  Property

December 11, 2013 - Revision: - Last Review: 2901584: 4.0 Document Number

This document that was written about products for.
    •  Windows Vista Business
    •  Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
    •  Windows Vista Enterprise
    •  Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
    •  Windows Vista Home Basic
    •  Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
    •  Windows Vista Home Premium
    •  Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
    •  Windows Vista Starter
    •  Windows Vista Ultimate
    •  Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
    •  Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
    •  Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V
    •  Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
    •  Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V
    •  Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
    •  Windows Server 2008 Foundation
    •  Windows Server 2008 Standard
    •  Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V
    •  Windows Web Server 2008
    •  Windows HPC Server 2008
    •  Windows Essential Business Server 2008

Hopefully Microsoft will get this on the MS13-098 Bulletin immediately which they are always slow doing.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:50 PM
  • The solutions presented in my last comment work. We were able to change the name back in the registry and then reboot. Maybe 1 out of 10 required rejoining to the domain, a few had been renamed but the issue did not affect the users (which seems counterintuitive).   The tool discussed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821actually does not look like it has anything to do with a solution of even a preventative step (it is not listed as a prerequisite and should if it is).   Only Vista systems were affected and not all of ours---just 8%. 

Microsoft has not listed this as a known issue; except for the Japanese site I would not have a solution.   Michael

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:49 PM
  • We almost lost a Windows 2008 R1 domain controller to this bug.  We couldn't log in to it at all.  It also held all our FSMO roles.  After trying everything I could think of to get to the registry from another domain controller, I finally just connected to the IP address instead of the server name or MINWINPC.   I was able to save the correct server name to those two registry entries and she came back up great.  Replication eventually worked with all other domain controllers.  - Pete Connell

Saturday, March 01, 2014 2:39 PM
  • If you are having problems getting it to take a domain login on a DC, unplug it from the wall (just the network cable) or boot into safe mode w/o network. It should take your cached domain creds without complaining. Then regedit away!

These should be changed to your actual computer name. 

•  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName 
    •  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName

Thanks Monkey Man for giving me hope. I couldn't figure out what you were talking about "connecting to the IP", but it gave me hope that there was a solution. I lucked into it via Safe Mode w/o Networking, which took my domain admin login like a boss, since it didn't even try to find its former name to validate the login.  

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:08 PM