none
Windows 7 compatibility with firefox

Question

• hey there,
    recently i have startd having this problem with my firefoxas in whenever i use firefox uddenly the screen flashes and the windows aero feature gets disabled...there is no fixed format of this occurence....then when firefox is closed aero gets enabled by itself...i tried updating the flash and java add ons but the same problewm persisits...it doesnt affecta any other function but it gets pretty irritatting sumtimes please help
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center, Mozilla Firefox 3.5 is compatible with Windows 7. You may check the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Mozilla%20Firefox&v=Mozilla&uid=3&pf=0&pi=0&s=Firefox%203.5&os=32-bit

This issue can be caused due to one of the following factors are correct:

Ø  The display card driver is not up to date.

Ø  The Firefox add-ons conflicts.

Ø  Other third party software conflicts.

However, I still would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    What are the models of the computer and the display card?

2.    Are there any symptoms or error codes?

Based on the current situation, I would like to provide the following troubleshooting suggestions:

Ø  Update the display card driver

Ø  Uninstall Firefox add-ons

Ø  Test the issue in Clean Boot

To troubleshoot the Aero Glass failing issue, please try the detailed steps below:

Update the display card driver

=====================

Please search and download the display card driver from the graphic card manufacturer’s official website. If you cannot find out the display card driver download link, I will search it for you after knowing the model.

Uninstall Firefox add-ons

=====================

The usual method for uninstalling extensions and themes is by using the Add-ons manager for your Mozilla application, as follows:

1.Click Tools, Add-ons (Add-on Manager in SeaMonkey 2).

2.Click on the Extensions or Themes button on the top.

3.Click on the extension or theme you want to uninstall.

4.Click Uninstall.

5.Restart your Mozilla application.

Note: Uninstalling an extension might not completely remove all of the extension's data. For example, if you reinstall the extension, then you might find that it still uses its previous settings. There is no general way to remove all of an extension's data.

For more information about uninstalling add-ons, please refer to the following link:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Uninstall_Extensions

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Test the issue in Clean Boot

=====================

1.    Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2.    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3.    On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4.    On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5.    Click OK, and then click Restart.

If it works fine in Clean Boot, I would like to suggest you follow Step 2 to Step 7 the following article mentioned and narrow down the possible cause:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If the issue persists, would you please send me the following information for analyzing:

l  Event Log

l  System Information

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft").

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8c9731ff-7e15-4554-ba42-65f6eae8df7c

Password: 0syX6uv+IogvK

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

System Information

=====================

1. Click Start, type in msinfo32 in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click Send To, and click Compressed (zipped) Folder.

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Event Log

=====================

1. Click Start, input eventvwr in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on Application on the left frame, choose Save Log file As; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input app in the File name blank, and then click Save.

3. Right click on System, with the same method, save it as sys.

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:32 AM

All replies

• Check whether the "Disable desktop composition" checkbox is checked by right clicking on your firefox shortcut then going to Properties > Compatibility. If it is not that try running Firefox without plugins.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

According to Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center, Mozilla Firefox 3.5 is compatible with Windows 7. You may check the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Mozilla%20Firefox&v=Mozilla&uid=3&pf=0&pi=0&s=Firefox%203.5&os=32-bit

This issue can be caused due to one of the following factors are correct:

Ø  The display card driver is not up to date.

Ø  The Firefox add-ons conflicts.

Ø  Other third party software conflicts.

However, I still would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    What are the models of the computer and the display card?

2.    Are there any symptoms or error codes?

Based on the current situation, I would like to provide the following troubleshooting suggestions:

Ø  Update the display card driver

Ø  Uninstall Firefox add-ons

Ø  Test the issue in Clean Boot

To troubleshoot the Aero Glass failing issue, please try the detailed steps below:

Update the display card driver

=====================

Please search and download the display card driver from the graphic card manufacturer’s official website. If you cannot find out the display card driver download link, I will search it for you after knowing the model.

Uninstall Firefox add-ons

=====================

The usual method for uninstalling extensions and themes is by using the Add-ons manager for your Mozilla application, as follows:

1.Click Tools, Add-ons (Add-on Manager in SeaMonkey 2).

2.Click on the Extensions or Themes button on the top.

3.Click on the extension or theme you want to uninstall.

4.Click Uninstall.

5.Restart your Mozilla application.

Note: Uninstalling an extension might not completely remove all of the extension's data. For example, if you reinstall the extension, then you might find that it still uses its previous settings. There is no general way to remove all of an extension's data.

For more information about uninstalling add-ons, please refer to the following link:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Uninstall_Extensions

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Test the issue in Clean Boot

=====================

1.    Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2.    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3.    On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4.    On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5.    Click OK, and then click Restart.

If it works fine in Clean Boot, I would like to suggest you follow Step 2 to Step 7 the following article mentioned and narrow down the possible cause:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If the issue persists, would you please send me the following information for analyzing:

l  Event Log

l  System Information

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft").

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8c9731ff-7e15-4554-ba42-65f6eae8df7c

Password: 0syX6uv+IogvK

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

System Information

=====================

1. Click Start, type in msinfo32 in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click Send To, and click Compressed (zipped) Folder.

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Event Log

=====================

1. Click Start, input eventvwr in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on Application on the left frame, choose Save Log file As; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input app in the File name blank, and then click Save.

3. Right click on System, with the same method, save it as sys.

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:32 AM
  • what email do i send it to....i tried a clean boot problem still persists...i use a lenovo desktop....2 gb ram and nvidia graphics card 512 mb
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:43 PM