none
Pre install a printer without being phisically connected

Question

• Vista Business 32 bit SP1

A client of ours has an USB printer at his home. He hasn't administrative rights to install software, so I would like to install his printer drivers here in office and LATER, when he will go back home he will only have to plug in it and be able to use it.

How can I do ? DO I have to place *.inf files in system32 folders or whatelse ?

Thank you very much for support.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

As I know, if the installation will not detect the printer and check if it is working properly, we may install the driver without the printer connected; however, if the drive installation package will check the printer when installing, the driver will still not be installed without the printer connected. This depends on how the driver installation was designed.

At this time, you can just try to install the printer driver without the printer connected and see if it will installed properly. Then, check if it will work after in your client’s home. (If you want, please let us know the exact brand and model of the printer, and we may help you perform some further researches.)

You may also try the following to configure the Group Policy and let the client user install the driver by himself:

Allow Standard Users to Install Drivers For Devices from Specified Setup Classes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770453(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:46 AM