none
Error when adding a boot.wim to WDS-Server 2003R2

Question

• Hallo,

I want to add some network drivers to the boot.wim from the windows 7 DVD with WAIK and then I want to add the boot.wim to the WDS-Server (Windows Server 2003R2).

Here are my steps:
    1. Copy the boot.wim from The Win7-DVD to the local drive on an Windows 7 Workstation with installed WAIK.

2. Mount the Image with:
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\images\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount

3. Add the driver:
    dism /image:c:\images\boot.wim /add-driver:c:\driver\nic /recurse

4. Unmount the image:
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount /commit

All steps run without an error.

5. On the WDS-Server
    In the left pane of the WDS MMC snap-in, I have added the new boot.wim in the Boot Images Node. The Wizard ends with no error.

But the Boot Image isn't availabe in the WDS Console! I'll get an error in the event viewer: "The Windows Imaging (WIM) file d:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\Images\boot.wim does not contain any bootable images. Images in this file will be ignored."

How can I solve the problem?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:02 AM

Answers

• Try adding the default boot image that is included in the \Sources directory of the Windows 7 DVD for a test and see if you can boot the computer into the boot image.

Dale

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:52 AM

All replies

• Try adding the default boot image that is included in the \Sources directory of the Windows 7 DVD for a test and see if you can boot the computer into the boot image.

Dale

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:52 AM
  • Hallo,

I want to add some network drivers to the boot.wim from the windows 7 DVD with WAIK and then I want to add the boot.wim to the WDS-Server (Windows Server 2003R2).

Here are my steps:
    1. Copy the boot.wim from The Win7-DVD to the local drive on an Windows 7 Workstation with installed WAIK.

2. Mount the Image with:

3. Add the driver:
    dism /image:c:\images\boot.wim /add-driver:c:\driver\nic /recurse

4. Unmount the image:
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount /commit

All steps run without an error.

5. On the WDS-Server
    In the left pane of the WDS MMC snap-in, I have added the new boot.wim in the Boot Images Node. The Wizard ends with no error.

But the Boot Image isn't availabe in the WDS Console! I'll get an error in the event viewer: "The Windows Imaging (WIM) file d:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\Images\boot.wim does not contain any bootable images. Images in this file will be ignored."

How can I solve the problem?

I am having the same problem.  The default boot.wim off the win7 disk works fine, but doesn't contain the NIC drivers.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have also faced the same problem as you have mentioned. I have done one experiment which seems to be solution of this problem. Edit one image with the above procedure and also add one default image, It starts working.

Please make sure the following things

1. Both image have same names i.e boot.wim

Now I am enjoying with this experiment hope you also.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Friends use Index 2 in the follwoing line. It will start working.

. Mount the Image with:

Reason being it has two images in boot.wim. We have to edit Index-2 image of boot.wim.

This surely works. 

Please note this setup fails on IDE HDD.

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Watch your dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\temp\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:c:\temp\mount command. If you leave /index:2 you edit the wrong boot image inside of boot.wim. Someone can confirm if you leave the /index out totally it probably edits index:1 which will cause these problems.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

Friends use Index 2 in the follwoing line. It will start working.

. Mount the Image with:

Reason being it has two images in boot.wim. We have to edit Index-2 image of boot.wim.

This surely works. 

Please note this setup fails on IDE HDD.

Wow. I have been banging my head off the wall all day trying to fix this and changing it to index:2 was exactly right.

Looking at /get-wiminfo I should have realised that I was needing to edit the Windows 7 drivers NOT the PE drivers, but hindsight is a great thing.

Many thanks!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:03 PM