none
nvidia nforce system management controller for windows 7

Question

• Hi all:

This question is still lingering, and my search of this forum produced no answer that I recognized.

I have an HP laptop (dv2416us) running 32 bit Vista.  Vista is running fine and I have all of the upgrades from MS installed.

When I run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, I still get a message which tell me that I mut upgrade tghe "Nvidia nForce System Management Controller".

I've gone to the nvidia website and obtained the latest drivers (5.1.0.26000.01310) that I can find but I still get the error message in the W7UA.  I went to the HP website, and all it tells me is that HP does not intend to support Win7 on the dv2*** framework, contact Microsoft.

I saved my PC pennies till I had enough to buy a copy of Win 7 as soon as it came out.  I now have Win7 sitting here but hesitate to install it given the error message.

I went through this in the beginning with VISTA and I truly hoped that Win 7 would be a clean experience.  Now the frustrations begin I guess.  Please tell me that Win 7 is not going to be Vista deja' vu all over again.

Can anyone help me, or am I just stuck with Vista forever?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Joel:

Thanks for responding.

I had to go back to Vista to get things running so I could go back to work.

I tried to load Win 7 but ran into an issue -- not sure if it was directly related.  The installation stopped and everything more or less came to all stop.

I messed around a bit and put everything back to the Vista configuration (I made a complete backup before I started).

I tried windows update first (I keep everythiung up to date all the time, but I tried looking for the drivers a bit of everywhre -- I even tried CNET and a couple of those places that say they have the latest drivers for sale. 

I found others having the same problem on the nividia website, but when I went to the thread, I found it had been locked and there were no answers -- strange.  I called the friendly (not) HP folks to see if they had any advice, but they just want me to buy an extended wwarranty ahnd send the unit to them so they can install it for me (for $99).

I'm a pretty knowledgable user, but not much of a techie.  I didn't even know I had an nvidia system management controller till this came up.  Funny thing is that this is a very common little HP laptop (HP dv2000) that was sold by the thousands at Circuit city and Best buy.  You'd think that the fix would be a no-brainer.  But I've had a little internal card reader drive on my desktop machine that has needed a driver for Vista 64 for the past two years -- never did find one.  Win 7 loaded on that machine without a hitch.  I wanted a Win 7 network, that's why I bought four copies of the software as soon as it came out (I ordered from MSStore).  I have three running, but the fourth is gonna stay Vista for awhile I guess.

I got pretty frustrated with not being able to find the driver that Win 7 advisor tells me I must have.  The advisor says get it from nvidia, nvidia says I have the latest driver, win7 says it won't run with what I have.  I went through this in the early stages with Vista -- same thing, no drivers.

Perhaps the new era of cooperation between Msoft and nvidia hasn't blossomed into full love yet -- who knows.

I bought a new small hard drive for my laptop today, and my intent is to do a full install of Win7 over the weekend.  I spent most of Thursday playing with the installation and got nowhere -- I had  to go back to making a living so experiements had to wait a bit.

Hopefully, a clean install may provide the drivers from somewhere -- we'll see.  I had just hoped that I could avoid reloading all of the software (I have about 3000 words in my custom dictionary in MS Word -- its a mess to reload).

Thanks again for your advice and assistance.  I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually, I just ran out of time and patience.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:08 PM

All replies

• Try dual-booting Vista and win7 (if you got the upgrade version then try the win7 trial) and see if win7 works fine with your laptop. It may just be the upgrade advisor is saying once you are in win7 upgrade the controller drivers, but can you post the exact message it is telling you?
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Joel:

Thanks so much for responding:

The exact language is as follows:

"An update is required to make this device compatible with Windows 7.  Go online to get the latest driver from the manufacturer's website"

When I go to HP, there is nothing except a note to tell me to get detailed information from Microsoft -- there are no drivers listed for the system management controller.  When I go to the Nvidia website, the drivers that I can find are the ones that are already installed on my system.  I tried deleteing the drivers and then re-loading them -- nothing, the exception message recurrs when I run the advisor.  If I "click" on the blue italicized message in the advisor comment -- to go to the manufacurer's link presumedly, I get a complex list of what looks like various directories or perhaps registry entries that contain nothing intelligible to me as a run-of-the-mill everyday user (and by the way, I've been at this awhile -- I still have MS-DOS on 5.25 inch floppies in my desk).

Most likely, I can just do a clean install of Win 7, but that will mean reloading everything (MS Office with publisher and front page as well as a pretty complex set of graphics editors.  That will take many hours, and I had hoeped to avoid that if I could.

I have to admit, it is kinda frustratiing to get what appears to be the old Vista two-step again, Microsoft tells me to go to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer tells me to go to Microsoft, etc.

I'm really tempted to just put Vista back and go get my money back on the Windows 7 package ($119 I need not have spent in this economy).  I'm probably a typical user.  I wanted something better, but I'm a bit disappointed after all of the hype about ease of installation.  My laptop is less than two years old, so its not an antique.  Its probably typical of what thousands are using.  Many will probably not run the advisor to find this error.  Perhaps they will be more successful than I, but right now, after spending a good part of the day on this, I need to get back to being productive, and that probably means going back to Vista.  Its hard to believe that Vista will be a better alternative to anything, but it worked.  It appears that Windows 7, in this instance, does not. Darn.

Thanks again, you've helped ease the frustration immensely.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Have you tried win7 on the laptop yet? Not sure if you said that in your reply or not...
    (you can download the 90 day trial of win7 here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/57cf2120-1c15-4267-9499-e50a3a82633d#4ffa836f-0d14-4059-8e3b-e905fc497be4 )

If so, have you checked windows update for a driver? Have you tried just running the Vista drivers?
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Hi Joel:

Thanks for responding.

I had to go back to Vista to get things running so I could go back to work.

I tried to load Win 7 but ran into an issue -- not sure if it was directly related.  The installation stopped and everything more or less came to all stop.

I messed around a bit and put everything back to the Vista configuration (I made a complete backup before I started).

I tried windows update first (I keep everythiung up to date all the time, but I tried looking for the drivers a bit of everywhre -- I even tried CNET and a couple of those places that say they have the latest drivers for sale. 

I found others having the same problem on the nividia website, but when I went to the thread, I found it had been locked and there were no answers -- strange.  I called the friendly (not) HP folks to see if they had any advice, but they just want me to buy an extended wwarranty ahnd send the unit to them so they can install it for me (for $99).

I'm a pretty knowledgable user, but not much of a techie.  I didn't even know I had an nvidia system management controller till this came up.  Funny thing is that this is a very common little HP laptop (HP dv2000) that was sold by the thousands at Circuit city and Best buy.  You'd think that the fix would be a no-brainer.  But I've had a little internal card reader drive on my desktop machine that has needed a driver for Vista 64 for the past two years -- never did find one.  Win 7 loaded on that machine without a hitch.  I wanted a Win 7 network, that's why I bought four copies of the software as soon as it came out (I ordered from MSStore).  I have three running, but the fourth is gonna stay Vista for awhile I guess.

I got pretty frustrated with not being able to find the driver that Win 7 advisor tells me I must have.  The advisor says get it from nvidia, nvidia says I have the latest driver, win7 says it won't run with what I have.  I went through this in the early stages with Vista -- same thing, no drivers.

Perhaps the new era of cooperation between Msoft and nvidia hasn't blossomed into full love yet -- who knows.

I bought a new small hard drive for my laptop today, and my intent is to do a full install of Win7 over the weekend.  I spent most of Thursday playing with the installation and got nowhere -- I had  to go back to making a living so experiements had to wait a bit.

Hopefully, a clean install may provide the drivers from somewhere -- we'll see.  I had just hoped that I could avoid reloading all of the software (I have about 3000 words in my custom dictionary in MS Word -- its a mess to reload).

Thanks again for your advice and assistance.  I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually, I just ran out of time and patience.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:08 PM
  •             Hi JWH226 ^^ I just read all you and your friend were talking about, I dont know if this is a late answer but, I instaled Windows 7 without the requiered driver for the Nvidia nforce system management controller, and so far works great, in fact works better than vista by a lot.

Did you try to research what this little device does for you? Nobody so far can install that driver, why? well this is a little teory I have, MS and all the people were very exited about Windows 7, and MS rushed Windows 7 out to the market, yes it had a lot of drivers for old hardwares but not for all the hardwares (including our little friend here the Nvidia Nforce System Management Controller), so its is just a matter of time until that driver comes out.

=S our only hope is to wait...

I hope this info will be of use to you or to anyone who reads this ^^

Friday, November 20, 2009 8:00 PM
  •  

AdolfX, Thanks for posting... I'm about to install Windows 7 and glad to know the driver's been updated.

Monday, September 06, 2010 10:24 PM