none
Cannot connect to windows Shares on NAS drive

Question

• Hi, I cannot connect to my NAS drive. I tripled checked the access control list on the NAS server -- I don't think the problem is on that end. I have 3 shares that are "Shared" to me. I can connect to one, but not to either of the other two. Yes, I checked the User Access Control list. One other thing that's strange: When I try to go to one of the shares, I get SHELIA\Shelia pre-filled out in the Windows Network Login Box. I am username chrisd and my computer is named Chrisd too. The previous owner of this computer was named Shelia and I cannot figure out how to get rid of her name. I try to login to the NAS Share as another user (Chrisd\chrisd), but I get the lengthy error: "An error occurred while connecting to Microsoft Windows Network: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one username, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again." PLEASE HELP! I have spent hours troubleshooting to no avail.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This error message means that the Central server already has a connection to that UNC path, whether it's defined in Central or not.  Windows only allows you toconnect to a particular UNC path with one username, regardless of the number of connections to that UNC. If you use the same username for all connections to a UNCfrom Central then you shouldn't run into this error.

You may use "net use" to manually release the old connection to check the issue:

From a command prompt, run "net use". 

Delete any existing connections to the backup location. ("net use \\pathto\backups /delete").

re-run net use and verify the connection is gone.

The next attempt by the agent may then be successful. 

If you have to use a different username to connect, then one workaround is to connect to the UNC using an IP address or other alias so that it looks like it's a different path.  This is also the workaround recommended by Microsoft:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:26 PM