none
Printing Directory function error message

Question

• Good day.  I just installed the "Print Directory Listing" function availabel from Microsoft.  The install went fine.  When I right-click on a folder, I get an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Set Associations control panel".  I tried doing that, but apparently something is missing.  I tried rebooting since the installation made some registry changes.  Yes, I did make a restore point prior to installing the function.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Dan...
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, January 16, 2012 4:56 AM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Application Compatibility Toolkit)
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• One way to print is select the files (Ctrl +A for all files) then hold down shift and right click a selected file and choose Copy As Path. Then paste into notepad or word.

Print a Directory Listing

This registry file will add an item to the context menu for file directories to print or list all files or directories in a directory.

To add a command to the context menu to print a directory listing. Copy below lines into notepad. Save it as "PrintDir.reg" with the quotes. Double click it.

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Print\Command]
    @="cmd.exe /c dir \"%1\"> Prn

Type Dir /? in a Command Prompt window to see the options.
    --
    --

> Good day.  I just installed the "Print Directory Listing" function availabel from Microsoft.  The install went fine.  When I right-click on a folder, I get an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Set Associations control panel".  I tried doing that, but apparently something is missing.  I tried rebooting since the installation made some registry changes.  Yes, I did make a restore point prior to installing the function.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Dan...
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:00 AM