none
After installing KB2592687 on Windows 7 x64, RDP to Windows XP (on a different workgroup / domain) crashes

Question

• I install updates manually, but I usually end up accepting all updates. That was the case for KB2592687 (Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) today. However, after installing it, I wasn't able to RDP to a Windows XP SP3 computer - the connection would seem to proceed properly until it shows the desktop of the remote computer, then it would immediately lock up and show an error: "Remote Desktop client has stopped working - close or debug". I uninstalled the update and everything was back to normal. Then, I thought I'd try this with another XP computer I have. The result was the same - with KB2592687 it will not work, and it will work fine after removing the update.

All computers are on the same local network, they are all up-to-date, have Windows firewall disabled, have no antivirus or firewall software on them, I'm using the same administrative user, nothing unusual. It's just that with the update it doesn't work, but it works fine if I uninstalled it. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, native C++ (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

• Edited by Kamen Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:14 PM Updated title
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• After getting some feedback from other users, and finding similar threads elsewhere on the Internet, it seems quite certain that the problem, while not ubiquitous, is very real. Microsoft Connect is currently not accepting submissions on Windows or its components, so I cannot log this as a bug. This is rather telling and consistent with their approach on products for which they do accepts entries: most are being categorized "Closed as 'won't fix' " because they are not "important enough" to be worked on; older issues are completely wiped (I can't find my older entries) and, as I said, very few products now even accept feedback. Probably because Microsoft is aware of the tons of problems they have, but don't have enough resources to fix them all. Here's one way to resolve that: don't rush badly-written, untested software to the market!

In the absence of input from Microsoft, or a positive identification of the problem (I don't have time to do a through analysis, and Microsoft is probably already aware of it, anyway), this is the closest we'll have to an answer. If any new developments occur, I will revise this topic.

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, native C++ (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

• Marked as answer by Kamen Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Almost a year later, this problem, although in a different manifestation, cropped up again: still without ever allowing KB2592687 to install, I lost the ability to RDP to another XP computer: this time one on the same workgroup, one to which I never had any problem connecting before. Nothing seemed to help until I ran into this posting: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/rdp-crashes-after-installing-kb2592687/b9373445-5ed9-4cfb-93d2-7985e5514540. They give you a workaround there: turn off playing audio in your RDP settings. I hope this helps people who run into this problem, but it is a real shame that Microsoft is ignoring this problem and not even taking feedback on it.
    Kamen

P.S. This workaround continued to be effective even after installing the KB2592687 update.
    K.

• Edited by Kamen Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:50 AM Added information
    • Marked as answer by Kamen Friday, November 22, 2013 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:49 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the configuration of RDP? You should lower the security and make W 7 RDP compatible with W XP RDP.

Rgds

Milos

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Have you checked the configuration of RDP? You should lower the security and make W 7 RDP compatible with W XP RDP.

Rgds

Milos

Thanks, Miloš,

I have the server authentication set to "warn me", and I don't see any way to make other changes or clear the encryption certificate (i.e., if it needs to be regenerated). But before I mess with security settings on a deeper level, I need to know what changed in RDP 8.0 since it is working just fine with 7.0. It is a pain to experiment with this since the KB2592687 update requires a reboot to install or uninstall, and I need to make RDP connections to XP all the time. What I'd like to see is someone reproducing this problem (so I can report it on MS Connect), or confirm that they have no problem connecting to up-to-date XP machines with client 8.0 so I can legitimately suspect that the problem is on my side.

Kamen

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

“The RDP 8.0 Update will not be available for computers running Windows XP SP3. Customers can instead deploy Remote Desktop Connection 7.0 update for Windows XP (RDC 7.0 Update), and users on such clients will be able to connect to Windows Server 2012 session-based desktops and virtual machine-based desktops. The user experience will be at the same level as that of using a Windows XP SP3 with RDC 7.0 Update client to connect to an RD Session Host server running Windows Server 2008 R2 or a computer running Windows 7 SP1.”

More information, please see:

Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 Update for Windows 7 SP1: Enabling a great WAN user experience for Windows 7 SP1 virtual desktops

Description of the Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:01 AM
  • “The RDP 8.0 Update will not be available for computers running Windows XP SP3. Customers can instead deploy Remote Desktop Connection 7.0 update for Windows XP (RDC 7.0 Update), and users on such clients will be able to connect to Windows Server 2012 session-based desktops and virtual machine-based desktops. The user experience will be at the same level as that of using a Windows XP SP3 with RDC 7.0 Update client to connect to an RD Session Host server running Windows Server 2008 R2 or a computer running Windows 7 SP1.”

More information, please see:

Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 Update for Windows 7 SP1: Enabling a great WAN user experience for Windows 7 SP1 virtual desktops

Description of the Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Hi, Tracy. Thanks for the information but I had seen the pages at both links and I don't see how that helps me: I am not trying to connect from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Server 2012; not even from Windows XP to Windows 7 (which I can do just fine). I am trying to connect from Windows 7 with the KB2592687 update to an up-to-date Windows XP SP 3 machine, which works fine without the KB2592687 update and does not work without it.

Has anyone been able to reproduce the problem or has anyone been able to successfully RDP from a Windows 7 machine with the KB2592687 update to an up-to-date Windows XP SP 3 machine?

Kamen

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Kamen, if this helps.

I have a similar problem:

I connect to our host computer using F5 Secure Connect. Have had no problems connecting either from a win 2000, win XP, or win7 computer. I try to keep them up do date regarding all patches.  I have problems connecting to our host now due to the updates. Long story short I just purchased a win7 hp computer and methodically did the updates and tried connecting, from out of the box to update by update - painful but worth it. If I load the KB2592687 i cannot connect I get "unable to connect to server". When I uninstall it my computer connects fine. I have no idea what this update does but it does screw up the connection. I know that this may not be the exact scenario you have but for what its worth I do believe we have a similar issue with that KB update.

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:51 PM
  • [...] If I load the KB2592687 i cannot connect I get "unable to connect to server". When I uninstall it my computer connects fine. I have no idea what this update does but it does screw up the connection. I know that this may not be the exact scenario you have but for what its worth I do believe we have a similar issue with that KB update.

Thank you, very much. It is a confirmation that the KB2592687 update is causing connectivity problems, even though it is not with Remote Desktop (I am not familiar with F5 Secure Connect, maybe it is built on top of RDP?) It could be something as mundane as KB2592687 changing some security settings that cause the connectivity issues, although I haven't been able to identify anything like that. But it seems like it's not just happening to me, so there might be something in this. One more incentive to insist on other people trying this out and posting their results here.

Kamen

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

I understand the Windows XP is up-to-date, but I still advise you upgrade the RDC edition to the latest version such as RDC 7.0.

Besides, please try this method mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608 the XP client.

Reards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Thanks, Xiao. Things got really complicated (for my case), but I'll address all issues one at a time.

First, your recommendations refer to the Windows XP RDP client and related security support providers. That is all on the XP side while the problem is on the Windows 7 side. Just to avert criticism that I'm not willing to try it, I installed the RDP 7.0 hotfix (it is not a regular Windows update) and added the CredSSP option - to no avail, still crashing. Let me remind you that the problem (at least in my case) is not about getting the connection refused or dropped, or having to reconnect, or anything within the normal range of operation. In my case the RDP client (the mstsc.exe process) crashes! Here's the message box:

This in no way is normal, regardless of the availability of specific clients, protocols, service providers, etc., or settings and preferences on my computer.

Having said that, the problem seems to be limited to my particular PC (the work computer) because it behaves that way when initiating an RDP connection to multiple XP machines. However, I tried connecting to one of those machines with another Windows 7 x64 PC (a laptop) and that worked fine, even with the KB2592687 update on it. This complicates the issue significantly as it seems to suggest that there is something on my computer that is causing this problem. But, as I said, the RDP client should not be crashing - no application, especially one released as part of the operating system, by an organization with such great workforce reserve as Microsoft, should ever allow that to happen. And it is not likely that my PC has a stochastic problem (like data corruption or gross misconfiguration) since it works just fine without the KB2592687 update but crashes with it. So at the least it's a matter of an incompatibility between the update and whatever else is going on on my PC.

Given that development, it is not required any longer to have someone try this experiment and succeed. But, if more people end up having this problem, then it would mean that it is not limited to me and probably needs to be addressed. I will leave this thread open a little longer to see if someone might have some useful input but will close it after some time if there is not activity.

Kamen

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Hi Kamen,

Thanks for your clarification.

As you said that it only occurs on the specific Windows 7 client with the KB2592687 hotfix installed, so it seems some other applications or drivers cause such an issue. The excellent way to find the root cause is capturing a dump file and analyze it, but it is not suitable for forum support.

I think there is anyother way you can try on the problematic Windows 7 client with KB2592687 hotfix installed, that is clean boot, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Xiao, I appreciate your effort, but I think I'll hold off on further experiments at this time and give it some time to see if other people (as more and more users install the update) are able to reproduce the problem. As I said, installing and uninstalling the update is a lengthy process (involving a reboot either way and a lengthy "wait while updates are being (un)installed" step), plus last time the process got stuck on me and I had to power off the computer, after which it restarted itself three more times before it could complete the uninstall. Not to mention that the "clean boot" troubleshooting process would take forever as doing a binary search on 50+ services to identify the problem is just too much and it in no way is guaranteed to identify the problem (which is still most-likely in the KB2592687 update itself). I could load the crashed RDP client in my debugger (VS2010) and inspect the stack, but I'm sure most references will be into system DLL, for which I have no symbols, and either way, I won't be able to find out much on my own.

The fact that it works on another computer is not that meaningful as they are different editions of Windows 7 (Professional vs Ultimate), different hardware (desktop vs laptop), different network connection (wired Gigabit vs Wi-Fi), and so on. Whatever it is, Microsoft should look into it, but I know it is unlikely to happen unless most people run into this problem.

Kamen

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:06 PM
  • You are right on with the problems with this update.

Microsoft has suggested adjusting the registry by adding a DWORd entry but this fails as well.

My win 7 machine is having serious problems with RDC. See my posting KB2592687 causes problems on older networks.

For now this KB just got the kabosh!

Gerald Fay

• Proposed as answer by JerryF1 Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kamen Friday, November 22, 2013 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Xiao, this reminds me of another difference between the Win7 machine that works and the one that doesn't: the former is on the same workgroup with the XP machine, while the latter is not! I don't quite feel like doing Microsoft's job with isolating the issue, especially when other users are reporting that there is a problem with KB2592687 and that MS is aware of it. I'll just wait to see how this is resolved.

Kamen

• Proposed as answer by CaveC Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your respsonse, and then let's hold this post here and check whether someone else has the same issue.

Regards,

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Kamen, I have the same issue after installing KB2592687 on my Win7 laptop. I use RDP to connect to my laptop at work that runs Win XP. After I installed KB2592687 two days ago I was no longer able to connect to my work laptop. I thought it was something with Remote Access Services Portal that my company uses but turned out to be the update. After I uninstalled it I was able to connect again as I was before. Don't know if this is something with my home laptop or incompatibility issue between RDP 8.0 and WinXP SP3.

CaveC

Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Just thought I'd quickly report that I've used roughly the same scenario and it works for me.  RDP logging into an XP SP3 machine (running on a separate VMware ESXi server) is working fine for me from a Win 7 x64 SP1 system with KB2592687 installed (I installed it on purpose for RDP 8 to Server 2012).  I'm logged in as admin on both systems, and not using RD gateway.  I do get a warning about not being able to verify the identity of pre-Vista computers, but if I tell it to go on all works fine.  Both the XP and Win 7 machines are really basic installs and are all members of the same Windows domain (2008 R2 schema).  The systems lack some of the other updates so maybe it's an interaction with another update.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

p.s., I installed the update explicitly from a file downloaded from MS' website, not through Windows Update.

• Edited by Love4Brandy Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:37 PM added info
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:28 PM
  • I have added the kb2592687 and kb2574819 to my MDT 2012 process for windows 7 x64 sp1. Testing on lenovo T500 and T61p and both machines can remote my xp xp3 systems with no problems. Tested to 4 xp sp3 machines, 2 with remote desktop connection 7 on them and 2 with 6 on them and all 4 worked ok. 

Thanks.

Monday, November 05, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I have added the kb2592687 and kb2574819 to my MDT 2012 process for windows 7 x64 sp1. Testing on lenovo T500 and T61p and both machines can remote my xp xp3 systems with no problems. Tested to 4 xp sp3 machines, 2 with remote desktop connection 7 on them and 2 with 6 on them and all 4 worked ok. 

Thanks.

Thank you for your report. Just a quick question: were all those machines on the same workgroup/domain?

Kamen

Monday, November 05, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Yes indeed, they are all in the same domain!
    Monday, November 05, 2012 4:39 PM
  • So far, from the small sample size of other people and my own experience, it appears that the problem only occurs when the Win7 client and XP server are on different workgroup/domain. It could just be a coincidence, but it might be an indication, too.

Kamen

Monday, November 05, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I can confirm the problem happening when connection to XP SP3 clients both within same domain and in a separate workgroup....

Connecting from Win 7 x64 fully updated.

Uninstalled the KB and everything is working again.

Havent had time yet to test out with the RDP 7 client update applied to the XP end but have a hard time believing that´ll make a difference.

/Peter

• Edited by Repete101 Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:03 AM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:40 AM
  • After getting some feedback from other users, and finding similar threads elsewhere on the Internet, it seems quite certain that the problem, while not ubiquitous, is very real. Microsoft Connect is currently not accepting submissions on Windows or its components, so I cannot log this as a bug. This is rather telling and consistent with their approach on products for which they do accepts entries: most are being categorized "Closed as 'won't fix' " because they are not "important enough" to be worked on; older issues are completely wiped (I can't find my older entries) and, as I said, very few products now even accept feedback. Probably because Microsoft is aware of the tons of problems they have, but don't have enough resources to fix them all. Here's one way to resolve that: don't rush badly-written, untested software to the market!

In the absence of input from Microsoft, or a positive identification of the problem (I don't have time to do a through analysis, and Microsoft is probably already aware of it, anyway), this is the closest we'll have to an answer. If any new developments occur, I will revise this topic.

Kamen

• Marked as answer by Kamen Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:53 PM
  • KB2592687 seems to only be affecting Win7-64bit computers connecting in to XP (32-bit) computers...  I have not tested this extensively, but two different 64bit desktops had the problem (until KB2592687 was uninstalled) while my Win7-32bit laptop did not, even though KB2592687 is still installed.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:26 AM
  • I have had the same issue 3 different times this year with Windows Updates.  The first time was in April, then August and now with the November updates.  Back in May, I spoke with MS and they stated that it was an issue with the update and we narrowed it down.  They were able to fix it.  However, since the November string of updates, I have not seen a fix.  I am not the only one experiencing the problem.  I am a professor for 3 colleges and most of my students are having similar issues. My brother-in-law has similar issues with his computers as well.  However, my new windows 8 computer I just received at Christmas is not having the internet connection problem.  So as far as I am concerned, it is not due to one computer or using a newtwork/domain.  It is is with the update and certain operating systems.  I am not a techy, but this is infuriating! I would love to know what the fix is....  
    • Edited by beendall Friday, January 04, 2013 2:58 AM
    Friday, January 04, 2013 2:57 AM
  • I am having the same issue. After installing KB2592687 on win 7 32bit i am not able to conect to Win 2003 32bit serevr through F5 RDP.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 3:36 AM
  • Almost a year later, this problem, although in a different manifestation, cropped up again: still without ever allowing KB2592687 to install, I lost the ability to RDP to another XP computer: this time one on the same workgroup, one to which I never had any problem connecting before. Nothing seemed to help until I ran into this posting: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/rdp-crashes-after-installing-kb2592687/b9373445-5ed9-4cfb-93d2-7985e5514540. They give you a workaround there: turn off playing audio in your RDP settings. I hope this helps people who run into this problem, but it is a real shame that Microsoft is ignoring this problem and not even taking feedback on it.
    Kamen

P.S. This workaround continued to be effective even after installing the KB2592687 update.
    K.

• Edited by Kamen Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:50 AM Added information
    • Marked as answer by Kamen Friday, November 22, 2013 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:49 PM
  • In my case, audio is actually needed...

So, Microsoft, is this problem going to be fixed already?!

• Edited by thany1 Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:55 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:54 AM