none
server properties ?

Question

• Hello , In WIn7 , the server properties disappears in option "printer and device" when we click right button ? In vista , we can find it like this ?Dose someone know how to find it please ?

Thanks a alot .
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 AM

Answers

• Hi There. I had the same issue with finding the server properties. But I found it eventually.
    Open mmc console, Click File , Add/Remove Snap-ins, select Print Management, and specify the Server ,(in your case Add Local server) .
    Hope it helps....
    :-)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:29 PM
  • This behavior should be the same as it in Windows Vista. In your case, on the Windows Vista computer the printer may be already installed. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:21 AM

All replies

• Your print server and the Win 7 machine are probably not in the same "Work Network". If you chose a "Homegroup" for the Win 7 machine, you will have to change to Work network.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Your print server and the Win 7 machine are probably not in the same "Work Network". If you chose a "Homegroup" for the Win 7 machine, you will have to change to Work network.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

No , it is in workgroup . But I found it after I have add a printer , and then right presse the printer , I can see server properties . That's the change for Win7 ?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:32 PM
  • This behavior should be the same as it in Windows Vista. In your case, on the Windows Vista computer the printer may be already installed. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:21 AM
  • I found that for installing a WSD printer , I should "add a devce" Web Service first ? Because without adding the Web Service device , I nerver installed my printer correctly .
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:38 AM
  • No. Assuming that you mean you had added the printer before, and must add it each time to see the properties, you probably need a beter print driver for use in Win 7.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:11 AM
  • You all seem to be missing his question.  Where are the "server properties" in the windows 7 devices and printers control panel?  I'm looking for the same thing.  It was where you could view all the installed ports and drivers and manually install them as needed, etc... Did Microsoft do away with this?
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi There. I had the same issue with finding the server properties. But I found it eventually.
    Open mmc console, Click File , Add/Remove Snap-ins, select Print Management, and specify the Server ,(in your case Add Local server) .
    Hope it helps....
    :-)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:29 PM
  • Thank you!

(BTW I found it in Administrative Tools as well)
    Monday, August 24, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Arthur Xie's post IS NOT the right answer.
    Please see the posts by VladoP and Indivara.
    Moderators, please mark one of them as the answer as this is misleading.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Windows 7:
    Go to Control Panel

1. System and Security
    2. Administrative Tools 
    3. Print Management 
    4. Printer Servers
    5. %Computer Name%

I think this can satify your request.

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Windows 7:
    Go to Control Panel

1. System and Security
    2. Administrative Tools 
    3. Print Management 
    4. Printer Servers
    5. %Computer Name%

I think this can satify your request.

The above is one method.  I found that on certain client systems it is not listed in administrative tools.  I'm not sure if this has something to do with user limitations or OS version.

In the case that it is not listed in Admin Tools you can go to Start-->Search-->Type in printmanagement.msc

It will show up in the search list and you can find ghosted drivers and the other functionality that used to be listed in server properties using this tool.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:04 AM
  • From Devices and Printers, Select any installed printer you will then see 2 new options appear: Print Server Properties and Remove Device.

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:40 PM
  • this answer is completely irrelevant to the question. It is wrongly marked as a correct answer.

The question simply asks how to access "server properties" using Windows 7 GUI, as the Print server properties button doesn't appear in the Devices and Printers window anymore. This behavior has changed from Windows Vista.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Start > Run > PrintManagement.msc

Print Servers > Localhost

Matt Shadbolt

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:35 AM
    Arthur Xie - MSFT

I've often seen people post about being MSFT MVP's in their forum signature lines.  I came here looking for the same answer, and this Arthur fellow is a prime example of two things:

a) just because you're a moderator or MVP doesn't mean you actually know anything, nor should anything they state be mandated as truth.

b) moderators should not be allowed to contribute in such a way to mislead the public, because it only detracts from the usability of a forum.

So, for the record, Arthur's answer is wrong as noted.  Vlado and WHTank had the right answers.  I'm glad I scrolled down.  By the way I know this is an old thread.  I found it in Google.  I trust after this that Arthur is no longer a moderator.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:42 PM
  • here's another method, directly to the "printer server properties"

from an admin command prompt:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:59 PM
  • some editions of windows 7 might (e.g. professional) and some might not (e.g. Home, Home Premium) have Print Management under Administrative Tools.

The easiest way to access section is to select a printer you want to under Devices and Printers dialog, then right below the "address bard" you will see 3 new buttons popping up: "see what's printing", "remove device" and "print server properties". its the last one that you need in order to remove a printer driver, install additional ones, create forms etc.

• Proposed as answer by Danilo S Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:55 AM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Can i vote as Un-Helpful? i would love to see how many of your 15,700 posts actually helped anyone! Even my junior administrator would be able to answer this question!
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:30 AM
  • here's another method, directly to the "printer server properties"

from an admin command prompt:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s

This worked great on Win7 Home Premium, Thanks koa.
    • Edited by PCMentor29 Monday, September 12, 2011 8:52 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Right under the menu bar on Home Premium. Thanks Arman, I just didn't see it
    • Edited by PCMentor29 Monday, September 12, 2011 8:52 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:50 PM