none
Two Win XP entries on boot up

Question

• After several problematic attemts I have successfuly installed Win 7 dual booting with Win XP Home.

Now when I boot I get the option of Windows 7 or Older version - fine, but when I select Older version I get two entries in the menu both Windows XP, only one works , how do I get rid of the other ?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• The first boot menu you see, is the Windows 7 boot menu which comes from the BCD that you can edit with BCDEdit. The second boot menu with the two Windows XP options comes from boot.ini. Boot.ini can be found in the root of the Windows XP Boot partition. The file is a hidden system file that is by default protected from editing.

Here is an article that describe how to edit boot.ini http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

I suggest you edit boot.ini in Windows XP.
    Ray
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• These entries are in a file called boot.ini. You have to edit this file to remove the invalid entry for Windows XP. You can use Notepad to do this.
    Ray
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Many thanks for that, will try it later
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:18 PM
  • This is in the Win XP system ?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Search BCDEdit on these forums. Learn it's use and command syntax. You can run that from Win 7.

Did you reinstall XP Home previously? Is there a recovery partition?

Preserve your XP as I assume that it is your production (primary) computer. I suggest that you leave it alone and remember which one is the correct XP. Win 7 is an evaluation version that will have to be removed eventually.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:13 AM
  • The first boot menu you see, is the Windows 7 boot menu which comes from the BCD that you can edit with BCDEdit. The second boot menu with the two Windows XP options comes from boot.ini. Boot.ini can be found in the root of the Windows XP Boot partition. The file is a hidden system file that is by default protected from editing.

Here is an article that describe how to edit boot.ini http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

I suggest you edit boot.ini in Windows XP.
    Ray
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:25 AM