none
Win 7 student special -- retail or OEM?

Question

• I have a burned disk with Win 7 Pro through my school -- finally got the ISO set up, burned, and did a temporary dual-boot install on my desktop. I have not activated the OS yet because I don't know whether Win 7 would be more useful on my desktop or laptop.

I'm still not clear whether the student download and key I have are for a retail (usable on any computer) or OEM version. I don't want to activate until I either decide for good which computer to use it on or know that I can uninstall it and reinstall it on another computer if my first choice doesn't look so good down the road.

The license says I can use "one copy on one machine," but I'm not sure it that means I can wipe an installation on one machine and switch it to another. Thanks for any clarification.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:07 PM

Answers

• The student download is a retail version and you can switch computers but it can only be installed on one computer at a time.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello Hogyu,

Eligible students are allowed to purchase one copy of either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional from the online store. You can only take advantage of this special offer through the official promotion website. There is no difference between the Windows 7 software you will install from the online store versus in retail stores. However, if you need to perform a custom (clean) install on your PC, we recommend you purchase the back-up DVD.

For more details, you might refer to the following webpage.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows-7.aspx

Goodluck

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:07 AM

All replies

• The student download is a retail version and you can switch computers but it can only be installed on one computer at a time.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello Hogyu,

Eligible students are allowed to purchase one copy of either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional from the online store. You can only take advantage of this special offer through the official promotion website. There is no difference between the Windows 7 software you will install from the online store versus in retail stores. However, if you need to perform a custom (clean) install on your PC, we recommend you purchase the back-up DVD.

For more details, you might refer to the following webpage.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows-7.aspx

Goodluck

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:07 AM