none
Start button disappearing problem

Question

• Will Microsoft be fixing the issue with start button, where if one is using a mouse and moves to the bottom left side of screen to make the Start button appear (why? One can't help but ask... the taskbar is there, so why not just have a permanent button on it like the last 20+yrs of GUI usability has proven works!!? BAD decision that one!!) ... why the start button disappears even though I haven't yet moved my mouse off of it. I'm still hovering my mouse pointer over it, but yet it still disappears and more often than not I end up clicking the program underneath it instead.

Would it be possible to make the Start button NOT disappear until the user makes the decision to move their mouse pointer from it completely. If my pointer is hovering over it, I don't understand why it is disappearing. This goes against ALL usability practices!!

This is a deal-breaker. If this isn't repaired within the next month I shall be uninstalling Windows 8 from my own machine and recommending that all of my clients DO NOT upgrade to it. I shall also be actively promoting alternatives to Windows 8.

This is such a shame! You had the chance to make something great, but instead you gave us Windows Hate. Umm catchy...!! (unlike Windows 8 uptake!)
    • Edited by Wez Hind Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:26 AM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:21 AM

Answers

• No one outside of Microsoft knows why it was changed the way it was, but watching the system go through the various stages with the preview releases, one couldn't help but get the distinct feeling they were making up the new interface as they went along.

You should check out the free tools for returning the Start button to the Taskbar.  The one I use and like very much is called ClassicShell.  It's well-implemented (better than Microsoft's Start menus in prior OSs) and free.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Wez Hind Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:17 AM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• No one outside of Microsoft knows why it was changed the way it was, but watching the system go through the various stages with the preview releases, one couldn't help but get the distinct feeling they were making up the new interface as they went along.

You should check out the free tools for returning the Start button to the Taskbar.  The one I use and like very much is called ClassicShell.  It's well-implemented (better than Microsoft's Start menus in prior OSs) and free.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Wez Hind Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:17 AM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Agreed, Noel.

I have finally come to terms with the graphical start menu (Metro?). But whilst testing, I tried out all the know third party menus. Classic came out way above the rest. With the latest addition, which includes the metro functions on the program list and, of course, the ability to bypass the Metro screen on boot up, it puts those having doubts, right back into the better known legacy desktop  interface.

Have you had a look at this one, by the way? Interesting and slightly different approach. It isn't very customisable but, to be fair, doesn't need a lot

https://www.pokki.com/

David Clarke

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Have you had a look at this one, by the way?

https://www.pokki.com/

I think I saw that mentioned in an article, and I glanced at the site but I didn't go further as it seemed oriented to the same kinds of fluff the Metro/Modern interface pushes (I usually stop when I see an Angry Birds icon).  I am primarily interested in serious/business use of the computer.  I played computer games quite a few years ago, but somehow the free time just isn't available now.

-Noel

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:01 AM
  • Why do you need a start button on the taskbar? Every keyboard has a Windows key and hitting that gets you to the start screen faster than moving your mouse to the bottom left of the screen (just like it launched the start bar in Windows 7, and perhaps even earlier versions of Windows......I don't remember)

I can understand that people will initially be a bit uncomfortable with the new start screen interface and bemoan the removal of the old bar interface, but that's really a separate issue to what you are describing.

• Edited by ozaz Monday, November 19, 2012 9:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wez Hind Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:22 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 9:21 PM
  • I think the main issue for me is just the fact that the start button (Modern - 'hot corner' - bottom left) was disappearing before the mouse pointer had left (or even progressed a half the way across the area defined by the Start 'pop-out' or 'hot corner' (not sure of the nomenclature at this stage). I probably would have gone a little further in my 'experience' with Win 8, if it hadn't been for that really annoying and easily fixable (with no reason I can think of not to) 'issue'. Why show a 'pop-out' to be clicked on, but only allow a small (undefined graphically) area of it to be clicked on?

Regards the need for a Start button - that I suppose is to be decided by the individuals whom use the OS - but if it's there (or a similar thing) then why not make it work properly?

Regards everybody having a Windows keyboard, I'm not sure if I can concur with that. (I do have a Windows key btw). I personally don't want to use the keyboard for anything but typing and that is why I learnt to use a mouse and context menus, so this new reliance (on the old technique) of keyboard-shortcuts-to-use-my-PC approach is a bit of an anathema to me.

Classicshell proved to be a surprisingly effective remedy for many of the issues I had - I was a little annoyed that I had to get a 3rd party piece of software to make my Win 8 'experience' not get in the way of my workflow - like going to a back-street mechanic to make that brand-new showroom-bought car steer properly. Anyway, I digress... I wished many good things the way of Noel once I had installed it.

Sorry ozaz for unmarking your reply as an answer. I didn't find anything offensive in your answer, but I completely didn't understand why a Microsoft Contingent Staff member had marked it as an answer to my query regards why the start pop-out was disappearing or if and when it would be fixed. That would have made the answer to my question a question :-)

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Using "SkipMetroSuite" to boot straight to the desktop, and Stardock's "ModernMix" to use Start Screen Tiles within a window on the Desktop, just about fixes everything for me.  I don't have an issue with the lack of a Start Button as I re-instated the "Quick Launch" taskbar and put all my in-use programs in that.  Sorted.
    • Edited by Tony Wise Monday, March 18, 2013 7:53 AM typo
    Monday, March 18, 2013 7:53 AM
  • You're welcome, Wez, but do make sure to also thank the author, Ivo Beltchev.  I personally find ClassicShell so useful that sent a few dollars his way via the Donate link on his page.

-Noel

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:13 PM