none
Issues with Media Sharing to XBOX360/PS3

Question

• I'm having a weird issue with media streaming to my XBOX 360 and PS3 in regards to what I can access.  I currently have my media sharing setup to share music and videos, including podcasts, regardless of the rating.  I usually prefer to stream these items through the XBOX 360 dashboard (not Windows Media Center) or PS3.  The problem I am having is that when new things are added to the library (mainly video podcasts in MP4 format in one of my shared folders downloaded via iTunes) I can see them without issue in WMP12 on my computer or Windows Media Center on both my desktop and XBOX 360.  However, when I try to access these new items through the XBOX 360 dashboard or PS3 these videos may or may not show up and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this would be.  Has anyone encountered this issue or know of a fix (or is there possibly a recent thread that has addressed this issue)?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. Does the issue occur on previous OS, such as Windows Vista Ultimate? Does file sharing work fine on the computer?

For Xbox360 media connection issue, you can also contact with Xbox360 support via the following link:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/default.aspx

(I assume that you have upgrade Xbox360 to the latest “nxe”.)

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:08 AM
  • I ran into a similar problem the other night. I added some files in one of the folders that was shared and they failed to show up on my PS3.
    My experience told me that I might have to wait a little while since I have to do that sometimes (perhaps it's the PS3.. perhaps it's on computer.. I really don't know) but nothing happened. So.. I thought I'd reshare those folders to hopefully force an update. Now, only 1 of 2 folders are shown in full on the
    PS3. I can see that WMP is updating the library but it never seem to finish.

I've tried to remove all libraries, reset libraries, remove share and add them all again.. but it just won't work.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:40 PM
  • I have a feeling that I am in the same boat as well. I used to be able to choose any folder, be it one filled with music or movies, and make that one a "watched" folder that would show up in the WMP12 library. Without any issues those folders would show up on the PS3. Now, for some reason, the only videos that show up are the ones that are actually physically located in the "My Videos" folder. 

All of the videos in the "My Videos" folder and that I add to the libary as watched folders show up in and are playable in WMP12 but ONLY the ones that are physically in the "My Videos" folder are playable from the PS3. Problem is that alot of them are incompatible with the 360 so I can't watch them there as an alternative. I really hope a solution for this is found because this only started happening a few days ago and I haven't installed any software that might cause problems with anything. Copying every folder (and there are TONS) with videos that I wan't to see on the PS3 to my PC's HDD in the "My Videos" folder is definitely not an option.

Weird thing is that the items that I share from my music folders on a different external drive, share fine over the network to the PS3. They are ALL shared using the "add to libary" function and I've never had any issues with them.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Sean,

I do not recall having this issue with my previous OS, which was Windows Vista Ultimate.  However, I was not using WMP to stream to my XBOX 360/PS3 as it did not support MP4 video files, where as WMP12 does support it in Windows7.  I would occasionally stream music from WMP to my XBOX via the Dashboard when using Vista and I did not encounter any issues with being unable to access new files that were added to shared directories.  I am using the current version of NXE on my XBOX. 

In regards to file sharing: for example, I currently have 11 different folders that are associated with my Video Library, which as result should make these folders available for file sharing, etc.  However, if I access my computer over the network with another computer I only see 2 of the folders in question, which makes me think this may be an issue with file sharing as when I added the other directories to my Video Library Windows7 didn't properly share them.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Hey guys,

I had a similar issue the other night - only one sub folder showing up. Digging around the security I made a couple of changes
    - made sure that I was the owner on the main shared folder.
    - ensured that the Win7netsvc (I can't remember the exact name - on the ones it is visible from PS3, this will be there) had read access

when I applied the security, ensured it was done to all subfolders and files.

Then, restarting PS3 (not sure why changes didn't come up immediately), all the folders were now visible.

Hope this helps others.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:05 AM
  • I took a glance at the permissions for my folders and the items you mentioned were applied for the root folders and subfolders, but it didn't make a difference for me.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:16 AM
  • MY COMMENT:
    My issue is similar so let me add it in this thread. I use a couple hundred different playlists to organize my music library. I have found after successfully creating and testing a playlist on my WMC pc that when opened through Media Connect the playlist is found to have a 'no songs found' message instead of the songs that are in there and as such I cannot play them. This happens quite often with .m3u playlists and not as often with .wpl playlists.

I would ALSO like TO ASK:
    Using Windows Media Connect and trying to play an AVI file freshly exported from my digital camera I am greeted with a 'unsupported codecs' message and there is no AVI playback.  However if I then use Windows Media Center (instead of Windows Media Connect) I can play any and all AVI files with no error messages or performance issues at all. How has Microsofrt got things configured that allows WM Center to play AVI's but prevents the very same hardware configuration to play the very sane AVI files through Winodows media Connect.

LASTLY a question ABOUT COLORS:
    How can I change the hard-to-read white text on light green buttons in Windows media Connect to anything else more readable. Once again, why does Microsoft
    do this? I am NOT 13 yrs old with perfect vision..but more like 58 with tri-vocals.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:22 PM
  • I noticed this thread has not been updated in a bot and as I just dropped Win7 on my media PC at home after using it for a few months on another laptop like what i saw from release to release.  After upgrading my PC (2.3ghz, 4gb RAM, couple terrabytes in drive space...) I had a problem first just streaming media to both my PS3 and my xboxes (x2). After Binging theweb a bit I found relief fro that by deleting and reseting my Homegroup.  

Now that I can finally see content on consoles, I was pretty excited until Inoticed I had only half of my folders available for accessing.  It seems out of the 10-12 folders I only have 5-6 of them that will actually show up.  Again I tried to find some info out there on the intertubes, but no one seems to have any info specifically to this issue. 

What I have tried so far:
    1) Took a look security settings and verified what was mentioned above regarding the folder security and I was good there.
    2) wiped and recreated the WMP12 media library.  after this I noticed that not all the media in the My Videos folder are showing in WMP 12, but I defintely have more stuff showing on the Xbox then in WMP12.  figurd that was a file compat issue.
    3) tried to copy one of the folders that was not visible into one that was.  Aside from somehow cause two seasons of episodes to somehow disappear int eh cut-n-paste then cut-n-return to original folder, nothing happened there either.

so far nothing seems to work.  thoughts anyone?

Oh yeah...  upgraded from Vista64 ultimate to Win 7 ultimate 64 and this worked flawlessly in Vista.

• Proposed as answer by eleetk Monday, March 29, 2010 12:58 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I have a temp fix, but is must be done MOST of time you update your playlist. Open up WMP12 and then go to File>Tools>Options (press alt to show the menu for those users with the menu hidden). Now select the "Privacy" tab and select "Clear History" and "Clear Caches". Press "OK" and/or Close the window. Now select "Organize" and select "Apply media information changes". This is the only solution I could come up with and as of this post I have not seen an official solution posted by Microsoft.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I hate to beat a dead horse hear... but i've been having these same issues here. I thought my addition may help keep this post active.

I previously streamed media from my xp pc to my xbox without issue for years, however when i upgraded to windows 7 this only worked for a few months before WMP and my xbox stopped seeing new files added to my library. I've tried refreshing my library in WMP and this doesn't seem to help. As some of the previous posters stated that if i put these files directly in my "My Videos" folders and refresh, they can sometimes be seen, but not always.

I prefer the days of using windows media connect to do these functions as I tend not to use WMP, and I would like to keep it that way. Please get this fixed MS, this is going to force me to reinstall XP for media sharing.

Monday, September 06, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I hate to beat a dead horse hear... but i've been having these same issues here. I thought my addition may help keep this post active.

I previously streamed media from my xp pc to my xbox without issue for years, however when i upgraded to windows 7 this only worked for a few months before WMP and my xbox stopped seeing new files added to my library. I've tried refreshing my library in WMP and this doesn't seem to help. As some of the previous posters stated that if i put these files directly in my "My Videos" folders and refresh, they can sometimes be seen, but not always.

I prefer the days of using windows media connect to do these functions as I tend not to use WMP, and I would like to keep it that way. Please get this fixed MS, this is going to force me to reinstall XP for media sharing.

We can rule out that it's a specific XBox or PS3 problem since both the consoles share the same issue.

I have since this moved on to only use PS3 Media server which works flawlessly.

Monday, September 06, 2010 7:24 AM
  • I have tried the clear cache and history and it did not solve my problem.

I have mp4 files in a folder and my PS3 does not see them, but if I change the extension to .avi and then back to .mp4, then my PS3 sees the file. I hope this will trigger an idea about the source of the problem to someone!

I guess I will write a little script to do this to all the files! ;-)

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:39 PM

We can rule out that it's a specific XBox or PS3 problem since both the consoles share the same issue.

I have since this moved on to only use PS3 Media server which works flawlessly.

Azynkron is correct and to this day I can't find a solution myself.  It's not only Xbox and PS3 either.  My BDDVD Player doesn't see all of the files and while my laptop can see everything on the network and play everything with Media Player Classic, the Cyberlink program I like to use to watch some HD/BD rips can't see any of my new folders.  What I think it boils down to is an issue with MS "Homegroup" bullcrap.
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:34 AM
  • So far I have stopped and disabled the Homegroups services, restarted the computer and network, stopped and reshared the folder but unfortunately it has no effect.  A couple of videos have suddenly showed up that weren't their before.  At first I was thinking that none of my new files show up, but a couple of videos I just downloaded show up right off the bat (all of these are MP4 format).  So I can conclude that it's not how soon the file is added to my network.

What I have found out so far is that under WMP, it has several of my movie files under "Other Media" in the "Libraries" section.  All the files located there are all the files I am unable to see.  I'll keep trying to come up with a solution for Windows 7 users and hopefully this find will help someone to further their own results.  Maybe I can come up with something tonight and if not then it'll be around 45 days before I get back on here. 

Monday, January 09, 2012 11:40 PM
  • I have two of the same file "The Smurfs (2011)" one it can see and the other it can not.  One is located in the "Other Media" like stated above, and the other is in "Videos".  The main difference I have found in all the files inside "Other Media" is that they are all "Missing Media Usage Rights" under the file properties.  The Smurfs copy it can see, however, lists "This file is not protected" under it's Media Usage Properties.  That version was converted to an AVI file and burned to a DVD.  My guess (since I haven't noticed or went to check) is that it removes the copyright information or simply un-protects protected files.

I am guessing at the moment that if any copyright information is missing for the file whether it is protected or not, the system will not see it IF you are using Windows 7.  I've heard from some XP users that they are not having any issues.  I will have to test that out now.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:17 AM
  • Mobilista: what's the file type (or types) of the movie files listed in Other media (WMV, MPG...)?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

I've got the same problem (sorry to sound like a broken record)... I've tried everything described below but I still get inconsistant results when new media is added to WMP.. sometimes it shows up on the xbox and sometimes it doesnt. If I used media center on the xbox the new files are always available but the playback performance and controls are not as good as using the streaming so I prefer not to use it this way... Also media center on the xbox is very very slow navigation around... it's a very poor excuse for a media center.

I'm thinking about going back to XBMC... it's never failed me in the past and it has support for subtitles with avi files. Just have to find my old xbox and a duster...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:29 PM
  • @ Tim De Beats - Most of the files are MP4 and M4V, and your typical AVI, DIVX, etc.  The issue isn't with the file format.  I think most people are aware of the supported formats, but from what I've found under WMP is the "Media Usage Rights" is saying that it is missing those rights on all of those files.  That's the only thing they have in common as their formats are a mixture of just about all types.  Everything else that shows up either says that it is protected or the file is not protected.  I'm trying to find a work around that but I have to put a halt on it for now because I'll be on Satan's floating prison for 45 days.  But when I come back I promise I'll be back on this if no one has found a solution to this aggravation. 

@ Steve9779 - All I can say for now is deal with WMC until the non-MS people find a way around the navigation ui on these console systems.  Or either try out XP or buy a MAC, I heard MAC users aren't having any problems but I own one so I can't tell you first hand and my XP system isn't on my network.

Going MIA for a little while, but I'll be back before February 20th.  Take care.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:32 AM
  • The issue isn't with the file format.  I think most people are aware of the supported formats, but from what I've found under WMP is the "Media Usage Rights" is saying that it is missing those rights on all of those files.  That's the only thing they have in common as their formats are a mixture of just about all types.

Now I'm confused, as you earlier said that all the files in Other media are all of the files you're unable to see. Since WMP classifies all file types that it doesn't recognize in Other media, I suspected that your video files had such an unrecognized file type.

Tim De Baets
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:32 PM
  • microsoft? what's the update?

Flood
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Then the big question becomes: Why can Media Player play the file if it doesn't recognize it?  I have 3 .mp4 files that it classified as 'Other' and it plays all 3 of 'em just fine.  So why didn't they get shoved into 'Videos'?
    Friday, February 03, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Bruce: because in WMP's case, there's a big difference between playback support and library support. Playback support can be added for almost any format by installing the right DirectShow filter. Library support is far less extensible: for the file types that WMP supports by default, the recognized formats are usually hardcoded into WMP.

If you open these .mp4 files in GSpot, which audio and video codec does it report as used in the files?

Tim De Baets
    Friday, February 03, 2012 7:29 PM
  • im slightly confused because the files have all look as if there gonna work just fine, i get a bout 3 seconds of footage and then it goes blank ?

Monday, February 06, 2012 4:14 PM
  • I too like other people previously on this thread would love an answer. I can see the computer from the Ps3 but cannot see anything but the videos in the shared folder.

I've reset the media libary. tried turning homegroup on and off. Tried different combinations of options in WMP12.

None of these work. The PS3 obviously sees the PC as I can select it but cannot then see files which are in the WMP library. Before I upgraded from XP to 7 the only issue I might have is that there might be a delay in new files showing on the PS3 in the WMP monitored folders.

GRRRRRRR....This is frustrating...My kingdom for a definitive answer microsoft!

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:23 AM
  • im slightly confused because the files have all look as if there gonna work just fine, i get a bout 3 seconds of footage and then it goes blank ?

Gavinelli: as your issue doesn't seem to belong in this thread, I suggest that you create a new question in this forum. Please include as much relevant details as possible.

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I just performed a google search and found this threat.

One issue i was having was once I'd download a new movie it wouldn't show up on my Ps3 library list.

I would fix this issue by rebooting my PC and PS3 previously (Takes too damn long even with Win7).

SO i was like okay what's a quicker way to do the same thing?

I went into my services and stopped the Windows Media Player Network Share Service and then fired it right back up and now my newly downloaded movies display on my ps3!

I didn't get a chance to read everybody's reply so assume you guys are having the same issue as me :)

I had one hell of a issue setting up the same thing for my friend's Xbox. Appears the xbox doesn't like too large of a shared selection and no incomplete/currupt movies/music otherwise it would suck up the CPU processor on the PC.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:48 AM
  • I'm back as I said I would be.  I haven't had a chance to work on this issue more.  Stopping and restarting the service didn't work for me back when I was troubleshooting it. 
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:58 AM
  • I found this thread when searching for a problem I was having seeing all the folders in my Music Library on Win7 from my PS3.  I was only seeing the default files in the default folders.  What I did that fixed it was turn OFF HomeGroups (leave homegroup), then re-enable Media Streaming.  When I checked again on my PS3, everything showed up.  Hope that helps someone.
    • Proposed as answer by CHowerton Friday, October 26, 2012 10:50 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Brilliant, Homegroups enable and disable media sharing to suit themselves, you have to reset media sharing in wmp after joining or leaving a homegroup for non-homegroup devices like consoles and tablets to be able to correctly share media. I have spent hours trying to fix this and now all is well! Do check that your media files are not system, hidden or some other oddity as well... and remember to clear out the media libraries completely sometimes as well. Please Microsoft fix this so it all just works or you will have no customers left, everyone will go to Apple (ug).
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Hey, this solution worked for my brother's PC running Windows 7. After a bit of tinkering I found that if I opened up Windows Media Player and clicked [Organize > Apply media information changes] the videos that were missing successfully got updated on my PS3. Hope it helps.
    • Proposed as answer by quimchi Monday, June 24, 2013 1:03 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:02 PM