none
AC97 Realtek no sound WINDOWS XP SP2

General discussion

• Occasionally this device which is built into my ABIT mobo doesn't load properly. Then when I go to play an audio file I get no sound no matter which device I try to play the file back on. I go into the device manager and see it there with the yellow ! indicating there is a problem with the device. I check the device properties and find the driver as installed. I then run the driver update options, I get a message stating I have the best available driver already loaded (don't make sense to me). I have the driver downloaded in a file on my HD, yet when I search a specific location for the driver it isn't not found.

There's an easy workaround for this problem and it has always worked for me. Go into the device manager and disable the device, then usually Windows will find it on its own and will then install it and everything is fine. I don't like workarounds; there is still a reason why this device is not loading properly on the bootup process.

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE?

I THINK I HAVE THE MOST RECENT UPDATED DRIVER AVAILABLE IT WAS FROM 2006.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:12 PM

All replies

• This is an extemely common problem with Realtek and XP - possibly even Windows full stop - even though they are 'officially' compatible.

Many outline this problem of audio loss which takes a variety of forms. So far, short term solutions include restarting, going into stand by mode, and your one above, which is to uninstall the Realtek driver and restart. Any of these may work for you but a long term solution we have yet to find.

Saturday, June 09, 2007 1:04 AM