none
Virtual PC for Windows 2000 on Windows 7 computer

Question

• I'm having difficulty with a virtual PC setup on my Windows 7 Professional box.  I want to create a Virtual PC with Windows 2000 to run some legacy software.  I have the Windows 2000 Professional install disk, and was able to successfully create the Virtual PC with that disk by following the instructions here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449426(WS.10).aspx

The virtual PC boots up successfully.  However, I'm unable to install integration components.  I read the post below, but am still struggling with this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/2e78d4ba-872a-4ae5-b1be-c27dcaafa951

From the VPC console, when I select Tools > Install Integration Components, a prompt appears "Install or update Windows Virtual PC Integration Components" with a Continue button.  Upon selecting Continue, the following Desktop alert appears:

"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

I have the IntegrationComponents files in a directory on the virtual PC.  That consists of a Windows directory, an autorun.inf, and a 35KB setup.exe file.  When I double click on the setup.exe file, the following message appears:

C:\IntegrationComponents\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

One suggestion that I read from a link below was to install the old virtual PC additions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/2e78d4ba-872a-4ae5-b1be-c27dcaafa951

So I downloaded the Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Updated Additions from this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a963433c-193b-41ac-af6e-ab7ab2db8541

But I can't figure out how to get this to run in the Virtual machine.  All that I want to do at this point is to be able to resize the Virtual PC window, because 646x542 pixels is too small to work with, and either get Integration Components working or the Virtual PC Additions working on it.

Are there some step-by-step instructions posted somewhere to get a Windows 2000 virtual PC installed on a Windows 7 machine?  Thanks for your help.

• Edited by Stormjack Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:34 AM Grammer
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:33 AM

Answers

• What do you want to know? If it works?  I can confirm that it does.

You can run Windows 2000 in Windows VPC.  It's not a supported configuration by Microsoft, but you can.  You won't get the full integration as you would with XP Mode.

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/wwadw.htm 

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Thank you smjain, that worked like a champ!  Here are the steps that I took.

How to install the VPC 2007 Additions.

1. Launch the Virtual PC.

2. Select Tools > Settings.

3. Select the DVD Drive

4. Select the "Open an ISO Image" radio button.

5. Browse to the ISO to mount the VMAdditions.iso file.

6. Click into the Virtual PC desktop.  The ISO should be mounted, and the autorun feature will launch the Virtual Machine Additions install dialog.  You should see a message, "Welcome to Setup for Virtual Machine Additions."

7. Click Next and Finish. You will be prompted to restart the Virtual PC for the changes to take effect.

After the Virtual PC reboots, you will be able to resize the window.  YAY!!!

I made backup copies of the "pristine" install.

Pagigostra, everything that you will need is mentioned in this post.  Check out the links from my original post first, then follow the rest.  You will need to have Windows 7 Professional or higher to use the Virtual PC feature.  I've got an HP that shipped with this OS, but the ability to create a Virtual PC was disabled.  There was a setting that I needed to adjust when the PC booted up by pressing the F8 key.  I don't remember what that was, but am sure that smjain or Bob Comer know what I'm referring to.  These guys are virtual PC gurus.  At any rate, I had to tweak that setting to get the Virtual PC working.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• The Windows Virtual PC Integration components are only supported (and will only install) on Win XP SP3 and up.

The best you could do is install the VPC2007 Additions to get some of the functionality.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:31 AM
  • You want the VPC 2007 Additions, not Virtual Servers. You can download the ISO here:

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/vmadditions2007.zip

After that you just need to mount the ISO, like you did with the Windows 2000 CD, and run the setup.exe (inside Windows 2000) to install the VPC 2007 Additions.  Reboot and you're done.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Thanks for the ISO link, and for the clarification on Integration Component support. I'll try the VPC 2007 additions tonight.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Hi Stormjack,

I was wondering if that worked for you.  I also have Windows 7 machines coming in for the company I started working at, they are currently running Windows 2000 for Legacy software as well, when stumbled across your post, I became eager to hear the results of your attempts.

Thanks, look forward to hearing back.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:39 PM
  • What do you want to know? If it works?  I can confirm that it does.

You can run Windows 2000 in Windows VPC.  It's not a supported configuration by Microsoft, but you can.  You won't get the full integration as you would with XP Mode.

http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/wwadw.htm 

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Thank you smjain, that worked like a champ!  Here are the steps that I took.

How to install the VPC 2007 Additions.

1. Launch the Virtual PC.

2. Select Tools > Settings.

3. Select the DVD Drive

4. Select the "Open an ISO Image" radio button.

5. Browse to the ISO to mount the VMAdditions.iso file.

6. Click into the Virtual PC desktop.  The ISO should be mounted, and the autorun feature will launch the Virtual Machine Additions install dialog.  You should see a message, "Welcome to Setup for Virtual Machine Additions."

7. Click Next and Finish. You will be prompted to restart the Virtual PC for the changes to take effect.

After the Virtual PC reboots, you will be able to resize the window.  YAY!!!

I made backup copies of the "pristine" install.

Pagigostra, everything that you will need is mentioned in this post.  Check out the links from my original post first, then follow the rest.  You will need to have Windows 7 Professional or higher to use the Virtual PC feature.  I've got an HP that shipped with this OS, but the ability to create a Virtual PC was disabled.  There was a setting that I needed to adjust when the PC booted up by pressing the F8 key.  I don't remember what that was, but am sure that smjain or Bob Comer know what I'm referring to.  These guys are virtual PC gurus.  At any rate, I had to tweak that setting to get the Virtual PC working.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I have followed the steps shown above and have some of the Itegration Features working (mouse will move between VM and other windows).

But, I cannot connect to any of the host machines drives.

The Settings for the VM show:

AutoEnable,
    'Enable at startup' is checked,
    'Share devices and resources' all entries are checked
    'Drives' all entries are checked

But the VM only shows it's own drive and the dvd.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks, Jerry
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:17 PM
  • If you're using Windows 2000 as the guest as the thread title
    suggests, Windows Virtual PC Integration components aren't supported
    on Windows 2000, and if you're using VPC2007, that's not fully
    supported on a Windows 7 host, and probably wont work for shared
    folders via VPC2007 additions.

You'll have to use normal Windows networking shares to have common
    access.

Example: (assuming the user id and password are the same on the host
    and guest)

On the host in a command line ran as administrator:

NET SHARE sharedfolder=c:\

On the guest in a command line:

NET USE * \\HostComputerName\sharedfolder

(with HostComputerName replace by the appropriate name)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Are you trying to use Windows 2000?  If not, please start a new thread. 

As I mentioned, with Windows 2000 you will NOT get the full set of IC features, including the ones you listed above. Windows 2000 is not a supported OS.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:33 PM
  • I realize this is not a fully supported combination, but was hoping I could get some basic file sharing between the two systems.

I will try Bob's idea.

Many thanks!

Thanks, Jerry
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:38 PM
  • In order to use Windows Folder and File Sharing (i.e. Bob's option) you'll need to change the Network Adapter to use the host NIC instead of the default Shared Networking (NAT).

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Hi All,

I have a user who has got a Windows 2000 VM runnning in Virtual PC on Windows 7 64-bit. We have got the sharing with the host PC running via \\[host pc name]\[shared folder]

Unfortunately this only works as long as she is on the business network. Do any of you guys know how she can access files on the host machine without being connected to the company network. This is the case when she is working at home.

I hope you can help.

Regards,

Philip

Philip Wrede IT Project Manager Systematic Denmark
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:38 PM
  • @Philip,

Your business network probably has Domain networking and without the domain controller you will not connect.

However, if you add the Microsoft Loopback Adaptor using Add new hardware in Manage Devices.

Give this new adaptor a local IP address, like 192.168.123,1.

In the VPC select this network adaptor and set its IP to 192.168.123.2 with it's DNS as 192.168.123.1.

The guest will now always be able to connect to the host, even if the host has no external networking enabled.

Roy

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:49 AM