none
Connected to wireless network but no access to the internet - running Windows 7

Question

• I have and excellent connection to my wireless network but no access to the internet. I have installed another laptop on the network and have access to the net. I have turned off Norton, still nothing. Network settings say that I am connected to the net but when I run IE 8 page says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"..........any suggestions?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• After performing analysis on the Hijackthis log you provided, I suggest we fix the following malicious entries using the Hijackthis tool:

-------------------------------------

O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = cg.shawcable.net
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = ,,cg.shawcable.net
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = cg.shawcable.net

To do this, please refer to the following steps:

1. Run HiJackThis. (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.)

2. In the HiJackThis Window, click "Do a system scan only". (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.)

3. Check the checkboxes beside the malicious entries listed above and click the "Fix Checked" button.

4. Click Yes to begin fixing the infected files.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you right lick on HiJackThis.exe and click “Run as administrator”, then perform the above steps again to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Thanks for all your responses.....I ended up having to restore the computer to factory settings to resolve the issue :(....all seems to be working fine now, hope it doesn't happen again.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Do you have you wireless router set up with a password and if so, when you connected to your wireless, did it prompt you for that password?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:04 AM
  • It initially requested for my password when I set the network up, but when I connect to it now it does not request. I havent changed that aspect of the settings since I was able to connect to the net.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:59 AM
  • OK, well, what this is telling me is that your computer can see the wireless router - that is why it says connected. However, this does not mean that the router is granting you access to the internet which is why you can't see any webpages. My bet is that there is something funky going on in the wireless settings.

Go here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center and under "View your active networks" - on the right hand side, click the Wireless Network Connection and that will bring up a dialog box. In that box, click the "wireless properties box" -NOT the properties box at the bottom. In there, check your settings - specifically the security tab. Make sure that the type of security matches your router and I would retype your password just in case it was accidentally typed wrong to begin with.

Remember, right now, all "connected" means is that your computer acknowledges that a router is out there and it knows about it. What it doesn't know is how to authenticate and start using the router to get to the web, so this , in my opinion, is where we have to troubleshoot.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:03 AM
  • I checked that and all seems ok, settings are as follows; Security type: WPA2-Personal.......Encryption type: AES..........security key is correct.
    I tried to ping www.yahoo.com with positive results, 4 responses.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Do you know how to check your DNS settings?

The latest fad this week is to use googles DNS settings. I am going to share them here so I don't have to type all the instructions out, but you probably just want yours to be: Use DHCP for DNS so it gets it from your router. Else, you could try googles:

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows Vista

1. Go the Control Panel .
    2. Click Network and Internet , then Network and Sharing Center , then Manage network connections .
    3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
      • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection , and click Properties .
      • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection , and click Properties .
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items , click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) , and then click Properties .
    5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
    6. Click OK .
    7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses . If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server , write them down for future reference.
    8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    9. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
    10. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
    11. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm the accurate issue is the Internet Explorer cannot access the Internet or all the Internet programs cannot connect to the Internet?

If only Internet Explorer cannot work normally, I would like to suggest you reset Internet Explorer settings.

If other programs also cannot work with the Internet, I also would like to suggest you perform the following steps.

Reset TCP/IP, proxy and DNS

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following commands, and press enter after each

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

4. Restart the computer to check the issue.

If the issue persists, you may run HiJackThis and paste the results in your next post for our further analyzing.

1. Please download HijackThis from the following link:

http://www.techspot.com/download317.html

HijackThis is a tool to collect some system settings information which is useful for further troubleshooting.

Note: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

2. Right click the downloaded “HJTInstall.exe” file and choose "Run as administrator".

Provide administrator password or click “Allow” if you are prompted to do so.

3. Click the "Do a system scan and save a logfile" Button.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:13 AM
  • I've tried everything everyone has provided to no avail...........when I tried resetting the proxy it said: Direct access only <no proxy server>....not sure if that's right.
    I ran HiJackThis and here are the results;

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:16:46 PM, on 17/12/2009
    Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IELowutil.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_CA&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_CA&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_CA&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_CA&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\IPSBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\YTSingleInstance.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\coIEPlg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0560.0\msneshellx.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NortonOnlineBackupReminder] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\Activation\NobuActivation.exe" UNATTENDED
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePRCShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerRecover"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [shawnotify] c:\progra~1\shaw\update\siuloader.exe /notify
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Shaw Support.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\shaw\bin\shawsupport.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: PokerStars - {3AD14F0C-ED16-4e43-B6D8-661B03F6A1EF} - C:\Program Files (x86)\PokerStars\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = ,,cg.shawcable.net
    O18 - Protocol: symres - {AA1061FE-6C41-421F-9344-69640C9732AB} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\coIEPlg.dll
    O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_ccf0dd3cb081af84\AESTSr64.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.7.2.11\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_ccf0dd3cb081af84\STacSV64.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 12906 bytes

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:43 PM
  • After performing analysis on the Hijackthis log you provided, I suggest we fix the following malicious entries using the Hijackthis tool:

To do this, please refer to the following steps:

1. Run HiJackThis. (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.)

2. In the HiJackThis Window, click "Do a system scan only". (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.)

3. Check the checkboxes beside the malicious entries listed above and click the "Fix Checked" button.

4. Click Yes to begin fixing the infected files.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:04 AM
  • I ran HiJackThis and a message popped up saying; "For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file....." not sure if this is a problem. HiJackThis window goes blank after I checked and fixed the 3 files you mentioned. Restarted my computer and ran HiJackThis again and those files are still present........FYI - shaw cable is my internet provider.

Still no internet access

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you right lick on HiJackThis.exe and click “Run as administrator”, then perform the above steps again to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:18 AM
  • I checked that and all seems ok, settings are as follows; Security type: WPA2-Personal.......Encryption type: AES..........security key is correct.
    I tried to ping www.yahoo.com with positive results, 4 responses.
    Hmmm, since you can ping successfully, you have a working net connection....

Can Firefox view webpages? Spread Firefox Affiliate Button

Have you reset IE settings? (tools->Internet options->advanced tab->reset button)

- JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:10 PM edit sig
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Thanks for all your responses.....I ended up having to restore the computer to factory settings to resolve the issue :(....all seems to be working fine now, hope it doesn't happen again.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:14 PM