none
Bose Companion 5 Speakers and Windows 7 Pro fix

Question

• I bought a Dell Precision workstation some 18 months ago with Win XP Pro X64. About four months ago, we decided at the office to upgrade most of our machnies to X64 and get rid of 3 miserable pieces of crap running Win Vista Business Ultimate -- the remaining 6 running Win XP Pro were fine. As part of the this upgrade, my home computer which also doubles as a remote office computer was upgraded too. Win 7 took out my Bose Companion 5 speakers and I embarked on a frantic search for a driver. Neither Microsoft nor Bose would take responsibility and after 2 months of work, I found a driver. As fate would have it, running some MS web development software at the office and posting pages forced me to upgrade both my office machine and home machine to Internet Explorer 9.0.

This took out my Bose Companion 5 speakers again. I didn't save my link to the last driver so I was dumbfounded. But I tried everything MS suggested to no avail. Bose had nothing to offer. So, after uninstalling the "Unknown Device" with error code 43 multiple times, restarting, unpluggin USB devices and all possible combinations thereof, I finally said "To hell with it."

I uninstalled the USB Root Hub and restarted the machine because that took out my wireless mouse. Low and behold, when it rebooted, the computer was able to identify the Bose Companion 5 speakers. They also play flawlessly. So, next time my machine is upgraded and the Bose Companion 5's are taken out, guess what? I'm going to uninstall the USB Root Hub and restart. I'll bet that fixes it.

By the way, for what it's worth, Microsoft used to be a really cool company to work with back in the 80's. As a developer, I had developed relationships with people at MS and back in those days you could get a free answer that actually worked. Today, it's $249 and you wind up knowing more than they do. If I didn't have all of the capital including human capital tied up in MS (today my office affectionately refers to them as MicroSuck), I would gladly run anything but MS. 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:04 AM

Answers

• >I can understand the your frustration in not getting a resolution.
    > This issue does not seem to be a one liner answer that Microsoft or anyone could provide a ready answer to.
    > Error code 43 is well documented @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(WS.10).aspx. This is a hardware device failure or device driver failure.
    > The device failure can occur due to not able to obtain a Windows 7 compatible device driver for the BOSE speakers. This is something only BOSE can provide and not Microsoft.
    > Windows 7 upgrade advisor can be downloaded from "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor" and the PC can be scanned with all 3rd party devices attached to get a results report advising remediation actions for any incompatible devices and drivers.
    > Additionally, error code 43 is also associated with an IRQ conflict that can be checked from the device's properties window and Resources tab in device manager. It is indicative that more than one device tried to use the same IRQ.
    > An IRQ is solely the responsibility of the device driver and the device itself. This solidifies the following points:

a) The fact that the wireless USB mouse and the USB BOSE speakers had issues indicates that there could've been IRQ conflict that resulted in those devices failing.
    b) Reinstalling the USB root hub resolved the issue means that most likely there's not a Windows 7 code environment compatible driver installed for these 2 devices.

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:54 AM