none
windows 7 black screen with only the mouse pointer showing

Question

• I currently have a toshiba laptop I am running windows 7 home  here is whats happening

I turn it on and right after i get the windiows logo the screen is black with the mouse pointer in the center of the screen i am able to move the mouse but nothing happens  ctrl alt del does nothing.

I started in safe mode with the exact same results.  
    I tried  "last known good configuration "  same results black screen with a mouse pointer

I tried the windows 7 recovery disks it asks me to boot from cd dvd i hit any key and the cd rom spins it then seems to start loading up but after the logo appears the same black screen comes up.

from what i can see i cant even reformat and install clean ( i have all my dtat backed up so i have nothing to lose )

Ps. i can hit f8 and get in safe mode i can also get into bios but as soon as windows seems to start loading i have the black screen and mouse pointer no matter which modes i am in.

Can anyone give me a few ideas on what to do next?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:15 PM

Answers

• In the end i fixed the problem 

I put the windows 7 repair disk in started the computer and again got the black screen with only a mouse pointer just happens i left the room came back apprximately 2 hrs later and the screen was displayed. i started the repair and it literallly took 4 hrs to run just clicking next took 10 min to respond.   in the end though system repair did the job.

seems to me that this all started after i did an update.   my system is still sluggish atm but im working on that now hope this helps you
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• I have exactly same problem....please somebody try to help us. Hey Ziggiy if you find a solution let me know please to corcel@usa.com
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:59 AM
  • In the end i fixed the problem 

I put the windows 7 repair disk in started the computer and again got the black screen with only a mouse pointer just happens i left the room came back apprximately 2 hrs later and the screen was displayed. i started the repair and it literallly took 4 hrs to run just clicking next took 10 min to respond.   in the end though system repair did the job.

seems to me that this all started after i did an update.   my system is still sluggish atm but im working on that now hope this helps you
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Do you have a HDMI interface?
    Do you have any HDMI device connected?

If yes, just unplug it. I expected that problem when connected to LCD-TV via HDMI.
    • Proposed as answer by G. Mann Monday, July 15, 2013 3:38 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:02 PM
  • I purchased a (new) Dell Inspiron desktop about 7 months ago. The original OS (Vista) was unsatisfactory in that it would not allow me to install my Quicken accounting software, but at least it worked Ok in other respects. After upgrading to Windows 7 I found I could install Quicken but now started getting a blank screen each time the computer went into sleep mode and (often) when I tried to open up of a morning. I dealt with the sleep mode problem by switching it off, but the morning blank screen problem continues.
    It works like this - about 40% of the time the computer boots up normally. At other times I may have to reboot two or three times before I can get past the "Starting Windows" logo without having the screen go black. Often in these cases the small whirling disc has appeared on the screen as usual, suggesting I'm about to get my display, but the disc then disappears and I'm left with a black screen (again). Sometimes, after several unsuccessful attempts at rebooting, I've had success after switching off at the power point and allowing the computer to rest for a short time; but, because this isn't always successful, I can't be sure that this action contributed to the successful reboot. Lights on the computer suggest to me that it (the computer) is operating properly even though the screen is black (confirmed perhaps by the fact that on rebooting I'm requested to select between starting normally and in Safe Mode. When contacted (by phone on a number of occasions) Dell technicians have been very cooperative and spent a considerable amount of time trying to fix the problem - unsuccessfully, as it turns out each time. On the most recent occassion, Dell recommended replacement of the BIOS and reinstallation of the Windows 7 OS (which was done) - all to no avail. 
    Is anyone else having this problem? And, more importantly, has anyone else had the problem and fixed it?  

• Proposed as answer by enkajet Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:46 AM

• I thought we had the same problem but after reading your problem again our problems not not exactly the same. I would suggest something that you probably have already done. Go to control panel\ power options. Left panel select "choose when to turn off the display". From there, you can select "1minute" to "never". Notice you can do the same with sleep button. Point is you can think you are in sleep when you are not. Your screen display is just turned off.

I read this answer on another thread and it worked for me today so I will paraphrase. I had a 64x Vista which I upgraded to a 64x Windows 7. I was trying to fix another problem and finally tried to do a restore point pre several operating feature un-installs. "First mistake." Anyway, ended up with the black screen on start up problem.     The fix (going on my memory so you will have to fill in the blanks): Used my Upgrade Windows7 Home Premium x64 DVD (had 64 Vista before upgrade) for boot. Start computer with DVD in place. First page that comes up shows Boot F12 in upperR corner. Select F12 and change boot order on left side to CD/DVD as 1st order. Probably had order as Floppy 1st\Hard Drive2nd\CD_DVD3rd. Be sure to save before exiting with ESC X 2. Continue start by selecting F1 for start. Wait for message to come up that "says  select any button to boot from CD. YOu have to be fast or it does not load Widows 7. Do that. Wait a couple of minutes for message to start load of Windows 7.  Window panel for selection of install comes up. Do not install but select the repair option in bottom left corner. Wait some more. Panel comes up with four options. I selected the "start with" option first time I tried it. That did not work for a final solution.  So, I did it all over and selected the the second button for "restore from" point. OS windows t cecked and next. Select top/ first restore point (reccommended). Finish. It all works now! Be sure to go back to F12 when finished and select  Bios "default selection" and save.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Hello Yiggiy,

I have the exact same problem as you had. Can you please tell me how u solved it? And by windows repair disk is it the same as the windows installation disk? and how can I get this disk?

I'm really waiting for your response.

Thank you.

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:34 PM
  • TRY These

Fix 1.

Black Screen Fix

Tools Needed:

MalwareBytes

Advanced System Care

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

1).  At startup, press F8 at beginning of boot and proceed to menu.  Choose “Safe Mode with Networking”  and log in as administrator.

2).  If MalwareBytes is installed, update and run a “FULL” scan.  After the scan is complete, you may see a screen similar to the one below. 

Remove “ALL” files and and reboot into “SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING” again.

3).  Install and run “ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE”  This will clean registry of possible remnants of Trojan.  Skip defrag portion of scan.

4).  After scan is complete, install “Windows 7 Service Pack 1” and reboot the machine.  After applying updates, the machine should boot up normally. 

Mo.

Fix 2.

Try System Repair disk.

The first was the Black Screen of Death issue Mike was referring to. The machine was a T510 and was unable to get past the black screen with the mouse in the middle.

I loaded up the repair disk, and specified the windows install (there should only be one). After that, it scanned the system for errors and tried to fix them. It should fail, and give you a few options. One says Advanced Options. In that menu there is a button to load up Command prompt. Once CMD was loaded the "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and "bootrec.exe /fixboot" commands were given. After both finished I restarted the machine, and it loaded up fine with no issue, no data loss or any other errors.

The second machine was a a T500 which was still on Vista. The same disk worked. His issue was a bit different, he was stuck on a black screen before windows loaded up with a blinking cursor on the top left. I did the same procedure as before, and he was able to login as well. For this one, it was the MBR (master boot record) which was corrupt and rebuilding it worked.

Hopefully this fix works on all of these issues. I had three or four of them this week. Much quicker and easier fix than re-imaging.
    Sat.

• Proposed as answer by noopyd Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:59 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:43 PM
  • I had the same problem in win7 ultimate 64. After several hours and unfruitful trials/recoveries/etc I realiced that after rebooting, the black screen eventually was gone (~10min) and the win7 GUI was finally loaded.

Your solution totally worked. A hard disk that used to be present in the network via LAN has been physically changed to a different location. I removed it from my computer and 'voila', the black screen after login was gone.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Thursday, November 03, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I am having the same issue with the black screen with only the pointer present. When attempting to boot I get the windows 7 welcome screen then rather than going to the login screen is simply goes black with pointer. I tried both the fixmbr and fixboot commands in command prompt from disk but problem remains.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:03 PM
  • I am facing same issue and following your steps Ziggiy. It's been 6 hours since I am waiting for advance repair options to appear on screen, still no luck. I created repair disk and boot from it. Please let me know if you have different solution. help is appreciated.
    Sunday, May 05, 2013 10:34 PM
  • What if you can' not get to advance repair screen with help of Repair Disk? I am having that issue. I tried booting from repair disk and waiting for Advance Repair window to pop up since 5-6 hours now, still no luck. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    Sunday, May 05, 2013 10:37 PM
  • i have a similar problem but mine is win7 profession 32bits for an organisation.

I installed window 7 to my organizations pc's whose domain controller is a windows 2003 server. It is my observation that whenever a user try to log in the machine ill stay for about one minute and then turn to a black screen with a cursor. If the user removes the network cable s/he will be able to login without any problem. I tried to rename the profile name and observed that s/he can login without any problem but now in a temporary profile. Another observation is that if any user login using an administrator password or profile name the problem does not appear. 
    Please assist me to know why this happen and how to solve the issue and also why is the problem selective to the user profiles without the administrators privilege.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:16 PM
  • i also have that problem on windows 7 ultimate x64. the pc is a toshiba satellite l635. the problem is when i boot up it continues to the account selection screen, then when i choose my account and type in my password, it shows the welcome screen as it normally would do, but when it loads the gui it only shows the black screen and the working mouse pointer and that's about it. i am still using the same laptop but running the guest account.
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:52 AM
  • I had the same issue (on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7)...tried all kinds of things (Reinstall, Repair Disc, Safe Mode, resetting the BIOS settings, moving memory around, and removing the CMOS battery, etc etc) and I would never get anywhere.  I would always get the black screen with mouse in the middle for hours with no resolution.  If I repeatedly hit "F8" on boot (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm) and then ran where I could see the messages come up (I think it was Command Line), it would always get stuck on "CLASSPNP.SYS".  There were some other people in other forums saying I could hit <shift> over and over to bring up the control panel when I saw the cursor but that didn't work for me either.

Finally, I pulled the hard drive out of my Toshiba Laptop and used an external USB hard drive enclosure (Bytecc Model ME-535) to view it from another computer.   After plugging the external hard drive enclosure into a USB on another computer I first copied my important files (music, pictures, etc) to the 2nd computer.  Next, I right clicked on "Computer" -> Manage -> then under "Storage" -> double click on "Disk Management")...next, I removed the partitions from the external hard drive (except for one small one that it wouldn't let me) and then created a new partition and formatted that new partition. 

Next, I then put the cleaned up hard drive back into the Toshiba laptop and hit F12 to bring up the boot menu, selected DVDRAM as my boot device, put the Windows 7 installation DVD in the laptop and booted off the DVD so that I could reinstall Windows 7 back on the laptop.  I copied the files to it after the install, and it is up and running successfully now.

Saturday, May 03, 2014 6:20 AM
  • I have tried but I can't get solution

Thanks & Regards, Amol . Amol Dhaygude

Monday, July 21, 2014 7:12 AM