none
cannot upgrade from windows vista 64-bit to windows 7 64-bit

Question

• well i'm confused. i'm running vista home premium 64-bit. and yet every time i run windows 7 set up i get the following compatibility report:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.
    • 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.
    yes i get both of those 'errors'.
    the windows 7 IS a 32/64-bit installation disc. it gives me the option to choose x32 or x64 at the start of installation. it just doesn't seem to be detecting my current 64-bit setup for some reason??? if i chose to install x32 version, it gives me the "You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows" error. and yet when i choose x64 installation it gives me BOTH errors mentioned above.

whats going on here???
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

• Your statement "the windows 7 IS a 32/64-bit installation disc" leads me to ask this question - where did you get it from? To the best of my knowledge Win7 DVD's are either 32 bit or 64 bit. There is no way they can both be on the same DVD due to their size. Judging from your error messages you have a 32 bit version only.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Hi

Where did you get this disk?

As far as I know there are no Windows 7 installation disks that contain both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit installations.

Combined, the size of both installations would be around 6GB.

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Microsoft has not released a version of Windows 7 that includes both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions.  It appears your disc is non-genuine and not obtained from an official Microsoft download web site such as MSDN ot TechNet.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:54 AM

All replies

• Your statement "the windows 7 IS a 32/64-bit installation disc" leads me to ask this question - where did you get it from? To the best of my knowledge Win7 DVD's are either 32 bit or 64 bit. There is no way they can both be on the same DVD due to their size. Judging from your error messages you have a 32 bit version only.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Hi

Where did you get this disk?

As far as I know there are no Windows 7 installation disks that contain both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit installations.

Combined, the size of both installations would be around 6GB.

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Microsoft has not released a version of Windows 7 that includes both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions.  It appears your disc is non-genuine and not obtained from an official Microsoft download web site such as MSDN ot TechNet.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:54 AM
  • I have the same exact problem, The disc is from Microsoft MSDN  Disc 4618, Dated November 2009, labeled Windows 7 Ultimate(x64 and x86)

I propose MSDN sent the correct disks for the 64 bit install, not everyone has the bandwidth available to download the ISO files which are over 3 gig. This is very disappointing in that the direction is to 64 bit processing and the disks provided by MSDN were not even tested for this.
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Krause Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Edited by Andy Krause Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I too have the same problem. Disc 4618 came in the mail today from Microsoft and it is labeled Windows 7 Ultimate(x64 and x86)
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Same here. Disc 4618 received from MSDN in the mail today. It's supposed to be "Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 and x86)." I'm trying to upgrade a Vista Ultimate 64-bit laptop. The DVD has 3.6 GB in use. Oh well.

-glenn-
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Those MSDN discs cannot be used for upgrades....clean installs only.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Well, how about telling us what can be used and how we can get them.  A little help would be really appreciated.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Those MSDN discs cannot be used for upgrades....clean installs only.

If that is correct then goodness knows why!  If you instead access the subscriber downloads section, download the appropriate ISO, and create an install disk from it then you can perform either an upgrade or a clean install from it.  There's no rational reason why the mailout package would need to have lesser capability.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Same problem here. Disc: Microsoft MSDN 4649 nov 2009 (win 7 ultimate x64 and x86 eng dan fin nor swe)
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:35 PM
  • I'll make a point here that is glossed over by the responses from many Microsoft MVPs, not everyone has the bandwidth or access to be able to download a 3 gig ISO file. So when we get a response that says just download the right ISO file it isn't very helpful at all.  The question is:

Is there any other option available besides downloading the correct ISO file? 
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:16 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Just received MSDN DVD's, Disc 4631, and I get the prompt to select between x86 and x64, but installation fails - error message is confusing in that it states you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit and then, states you cannot upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit.

Don't want to sound hostile, but, asking where 'we got the media' from is not really helpful, is is?  I subsribe to MSDN to avoid these types of problems. 

Looks like someone drop the ball.  It appears that these DVD are 'broken' - since I can't upgrade as the DVD suggests I can.

- Mark
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:52 PM
  • I'll make a point here that is glossed over by the responses from many Microsoft MVPs, not everyone has the bandwidth or access to be able to download a 3 gig ISO file. So when we get a response that says just download the right ISO file it isn't very helpful at all.  The question is:

Is there any other option available besides downloading the correct ISO file? 

Andy, with respect I have to say that you're being a bit unfair there.  This is an internet forum, not the Microsoft Customer Support department, and if people volunteering their time to assist others here give responses which aren't what you want to hear it's rather unfair to complain.

Carey, Ronnie and others aren't necessarily themselves MSDN or Technet 'mailout' subscribers.  In recent days it's been predominately Carey and myself who have come to the realisation that this problem consistently seems to appear for people who have the MSD mailout disks.  With no personal access to the disk to enable us to verify whether this is an actual disk related flaw or instead a user error which results from incorrect usage, the best advice available is to suggest that people download the actual ISOs and make install disks for themselves.

We know for CERTAINTY that the ISO downloads won't create an install disk which is subject to such an error.  The advice given is good advice.

If you wish to complain directly to the MSDN Subscriber customer support people, the contact details can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

(Follow the links for the relevent contact details for your location.)

Cheers
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Hello,
    So if the media contains both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same DVD (there are a few programs like MSDN that may ship media like this), what happens is that you are running a 32-bit setup.exe.
    32-bit setup.exe can install either 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows but 32-bit setup.exe cannot do an upgrade of a 64-bit OS.

The only way this media can be generated with both platforms is to use 32-bit setup.exe ( you cannot run a 64-bit setup.exe on 32-bit copy of Windows).
    Since you are running inside 64-bit Windows you are getting the message about the upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit is not supported.
    MSDN should have the ISO available for download that is 64-bit only, which will support the upgrade.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:26 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Thank you sincerely for the fuller explanation, Darrell.  That explanation vindicates the advice given regarding downloading the appropriate ISO image.

Could the thread perhaps be 'corrected', with the inappropriate answers being 'unmarked' and the correction solution instead marked as 'answer' to the topic?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Well, I apologize if offended anyone on the forum. I had no idea that MSDN Windows 7 problems where different than TechNet Windows 7 problems. Since I'm asking questions in the wrong place feel free to "correct" away. It might create the wrong impression. This has been been enlightening. I'm in the same position as when I came in here. Oh and you can have my disc so you can test it! I'll mail it to you. 
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Andy, from the explanation given by Darrell Technet subscribers who have paid the higher fee for a 'Plus' subscription, and who rely upon the mailouts from there, would be confronted with the exact same situation.  Their 'both installson the one disk' DVD would be able to perform all valid types of installation other than an upgrade install from 64-bit to 64-bit.  That particular scenario requires the use of the actual 'dedicated' 64-bit RTM disk, with its 64-bit installer.

Yes, you are still in the same situation, and there's no option but to obtain and use a 64-bit install disk.  With MSDN membership you have the right to download and use the relevent ISO image.  If download allocations are a prohibitive problem for you then perhaps you can find a friend, colleague or aquaintance who already has the 64-bit Windows install disk?  If you made a copy and used that it'd work just fine.  It's a simple job to create a Home Premium install disk from any Windows 7 install disk, after all.

Cheers, and good luck

Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Gee, having the same problem and Googling my way here I am wondering if virtual PC could be a solution. I have just removed it as VPC2007SP1 was advised to need uninstalling, as well as the 64bit won't upgrade to 64bit problem.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:43 AM
  • I am having this issue as well.  Major offender seems to be the setup running as "setup.exe*32", which obviously is not going to get me into a 64-bit upgrade........looks like MS really dropped the ball on that in that the disks won't call a 64-bit installer and child process.

And I have to agree, saying "Well you don't have the right disks" is entirely wrong......we've got the right disks, MS just hasn't provided the adequate way of accessing the data on them.  And with the way this is built, it seems you can't do ANYTHING with this if you're attempting to do anything on an existing 64-bit install.  If that's the case, why bother putting both of them on the same disk?  I'm sure I could burn a DVD and do a clean reinstall, but I'm not willing to lose my programs for days/weeks until I get my system rebuilt.

A botched release yet again.  I'll wait till SP1 comes out and see if they figure it out by then.

-Chad
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Well I have to thank all you for publishing the dialog on this subject. I just cracked the seal on my latest MSDN shipment and thought I would take a test drive on my TouchSmart 64bit install of Vista and upgrade this to Windows 7. So I basically ran into the same issue with the Nov2009 ultimate disc saying I can't do the upgrade for 1 of the following reasons. 32-64bit not supported or 64-32 bit not supported. What a brain teaser, I thought I was going mad, for I was positive I had a 64 bit install.

Anyway after reading all this which took me about 20 minutes of researching via Google etc... I am happy to say you guys ROCK, you really saved me time for I was thinking of going with a clean install which would have added who knows how much time to completly get everything going again on this system.

Drinks on me - Doug
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Just wanted to note to anybody who comes across this thread: Nope, the Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit / 64 bit combo DVD with SP1 still has the same problem. Looks like they did not figure it out by now.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:21 PM
  • png674 wrote:

Just wanted to note to anybody who comes across this thread: Nope, the Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit / 64 bit combo DVD with SP1 still has the same problem. Looks like they did not figure it out by now.

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem!  Or, did you even bother to read?

Darrell Gorter provided the answer in his post:

"So if the media contains both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same DVD (there are a few programs like MSDN that may ship media like this), what happens is that you are running a 32-bit setup.exe.
    32-bit setup.exe can install either 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows but 32-bit setup.exe cannot do an upgrade of a 64-bit OS.

The only way this media can be generated with both platforms is to use 32-bit setup.exe ( you cannot run a 64-bit setup.exe on 32-bit copy of Windows).
    Since you are running inside 64-bit Windows you are getting the message about the upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit is not supported.
    MSDN should have the ISO available for download that is 64-bit only, which will support the upgrade.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights"

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Rick Dee wrote:

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem!  Or, did you even bother to read?

Darrell Gorter provided the answer in his post: ...

Yeah, I had found that answer, and am doing it now (and it's working). I just wanted to say that Microsoft sent a Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (x64 and x86), Disc 4631.01, August 2011 DVD to me as an MSDN customer, and that this DVD still has the same problem of only have a 32 bit setup.exe. So now I've gone and burned a DVD from the 64-bit only ISO they offer for download.

chad_wansing had said

A botched release yet again. I'll wait till SP1 comes out and see if they figure it out by then.

And I was replying to that. I guess I should have quoted him.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:26 PM