none
How to get the Windows 8 dual boot screen?

Question

• Hi!

I have a PC with Win 7 and Win 8 in dual boot.

At a time my computer crashed (maybe something light because now it's ok again) and I was only able to boot at Win 7 after the crash.

During the Win 7 boot I was given an  option to fix the start-up problems that were avoiding me to boot Win 7 correctly.

After I fixed the start-up problems I got the dual boot option again, and I can choose between Win 8 and Win 7, but the screen now is diferente from what it was before, what I have now is a black background that allows me to choose between the recovered instalations, and not the blue dual boot screen I got after I installed Win 8 first time.

I need help in setting up the standard Win 8 blue dual boot screen.

btw: How to manage the dual boot options (other way than MSCONFIG).

Thanks in advance, all answers are very welcome.

Regards,

Renatoabc

Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi guys!

I solved my problem and I'm posting the solution I found here just in case somebody else faces the same issue.

What happened was that when I fixed the Win 7 start-up problem the Win 8 boot loader was replaced by the Win 7 boot loader.

This way I was still able to dual boot, but using Win 7 boot loader.

So, I booted into Win 8 and from Win 8 I inserted the installation DVD and reinstalled Win 8 ( using the option that keeps the files and settings).

With this the Win 7 boot loader ( black background without pictures) was replaced by the Win 8 boot loader ( Blue background with pictures).

Done!

Hope it helps.

Renatoabc

Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi guys!

I solved my problem and I'm posting the solution I found here just in case somebody else faces the same issue.

What happened was that when I fixed the Win 7 start-up problem the Win 8 boot loader was replaced by the Win 7 boot loader.

This way I was still able to dual boot, but using Win 7 boot loader.

So, I booted into Win 8 and from Win 8 I inserted the installation DVD and reinstalled Win 8 ( using the option that keeps the files and settings).

With this the Win 7 boot loader ( black background without pictures) was replaced by the Win 8 boot loader ( Blue background with pictures).

Done!

Hope it helps.

Renatoabc

Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:52 AM
  • HI,

Same problem came back.

I installed Acatch to download You tube videos, but it came with an undesired Ask Toolbar, that was almost impossible to remove.

To remove it I boot into safe mode (but in the wrong way using msconfig, later I found how to boot in safe mode using Win 8 settings).

The problem now is that I was able to remove the Ask toolbar, but I lost the Windows 8 original dual boot screen, and I don't want to reinstall Win 8 just because of that.

The dual boot screen I have after using msconfig shows "(recovered)" after the Win 7 and Win 8 options.

I'm wondering, would it be possible to get the original win 8 dual boot screen ( colored with icons and without the "(recovered)") in another way other than reinstalling Win 8?

Hope to get help,

Renatoabc

Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Rena,

Understand that it's been a while since your post, have you solve your problem yet? I hit the same problem, lost the new boot menu after a win 7 crash. Mine is a bit complex that my win 8 is a vhd. But I guess if you solved yours, same solution can help me.

Regards,

senderj

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:45 AM
  • Hi Senderj,

If the problem you have is just about the boot screen, the easyest way is to boot in Win 8 and withing Win 8 do a upgrade using the Win8 DVD (I think it is no problem if you use a vhd). Choose the kind of instalation as upgrade to keep your files and settings and choose the same partition Win 8 is installed now.

It worked for me, I hope it work for you as well.

Regards,

Renato

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:45 AM