none
Can Vista be fixed after cloning onto Advanced Format Drive?

Question

• I out grew the system drive and replaced it with a new 2 Tarabyte Advanced Format disk with its' 4 KB physical sector size.  Now several important programs do not function properly.  Problem is well described in KB Article ID: 2553708

Applications that are built on ESENT may not work correctly after the reported physical sector size of the storage device changes.

The following are examples of applications that are built on the Extensible Storage Engine API (ESENT) and do not work on my system now:

• Windows Update
    • Active Directory
    • Windows Desktop Search
    • Certification authority (CA)
    • Windows Internet Name Service (WINS)
    • Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    • Windows Live Mail

I receive the following error message in Windows Update when this issue occurs:
    FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000222.

Worst of all the Hotfix will not install to correct the problem.  It ends with the same error code: 0xC8000222

HotFix for Vista x64 Fix378534 requires the broken services to be working for it to install. Vicious loop.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• Thank you Jim for your thorough explaination and solution to this issue.  Struggled for several days with the data migration from my old Toshiba 250gb 512K sector drive to my new Seagate 750gb 4k sector drive and was at my wits end.  The 9.6 driver update did not apply to me as well as the KB2553708 hotfix.  As I am using Vista, I found the KB2470478 hotfix was the one to use.  What is important overall, is to apply the hotfix to the Source Drive Image PRIOR to cloning to the destination drive. My suggestion to Microsoft, is that they need to detail this procedure on the hotfix itself.  It will save everyone using it a lot of grief.  Learned so much here, and I thank you for that!!!

• Marked as answer by JimCape Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:16 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Jan 1, 2012

I gave up on fixing the VISTA image as it originally cloned onto the new AFD.  So the original question is still an open one.

The trick seems to be in adding Hotfixes and driver updates to the original Vista image PRIOR to CLONING. 

This is contrary to published instructions in that one needs to apply a Hotfix before the issues it corrects present themselves.  It is a preventative measure for a possible future hardware change.

My problem was solved by applying preventive measures to the original Vista image on the 512-byte physical sector size hard disk.  The OS was functioning perfectly and 100% fully updated according to the OEM and MS.  I discovered that it was not adequate for cloning onto an Advanced Format Disc through trial and failure.  The bad clone did boot and operate normally for most activities but ALL the symptoms described in KB2553708 were present.  Most easily noticeable were Windows Update failures.

Step 1.  Verify compatibility of drive controller driver with new Advanced Format disks.  I have an Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, so I verified the driver was version 9.6 or newer to support 4k sector disks.

Step 2.  I ran “System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011]” .  It took 82 minutes on my system but reported “No errors detected”. I believe this means that this Hotfix made ZERO changes to the OS, and so is not necessary in my case.

Step 3.  Install Hotfix KB2553708.  Reboot and verify Windows Update still works.

Step 4.  Remove old 512-byte physical sector size hard disk drive and install new 4k-byte physical sector size hard disk AFD in its place.  Reattach old drive by whatever means available and perform cloning operation from old drive to new drive.  For me this involved booting from a CD with Acronis True Image WD Edition with old drive attached by USB.

Step 5.  Remove old disk and boot into the new one.  Verify Windows Update works.  Peruse the Event Logs for any issues.

Thankfully, I had the ability to access the original image on the old disk.

Two recommendations for Microsoft:
    A. Develop Hotfix to repair an image where this has happened.

B. Push updates, such as KB2553708, to all users in preparation for Advanced Format Drive technology, 4k-byte physical sector hard disks that are now wide spread in the marketplace.

v/r    jc

James CApe
    • Marked as answer by JimCape Monday, January 02, 2012 4:33 AM
    Monday, January 02, 2012 4:33 AM

All replies

• How did you install the system on the new 2 Tarabyte Advanced Format disk?

If you are using the third party software to create the image to restore, it can be caused by the software did not automatically recognize the 4K physical and 512-byte logical sector size. And you need to reinstall the system on the new 2 Tarabyte Advanced Format disk and then install the hotfix KB 2553708.

If you reinstalled the system and it still encountered this issue, please check if you are running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2). The prerequisites for the hotfix KB 2553708 is Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Also, please check if you downloaded the correct package.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JimCape Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:20 AM
  • I installed the AFD using Acronis True Image WD Edition that came with the new disk, using its’ Clone Disk wizard.  I believe this is a block for block copy method that results in the problem discussed in the KB2553708 article where the reported physical sector size is changed from 512 bytes to 4 KB when the system starts.

I’m not clear if you are suggesting a retry of the original cloning operation or if you are suggesting the original drive image be abandoned and a fresh install of the Vista OS and complete rebuilding of all programs, user accounts, etc. etc. “and then install the hotfix KB 2553708”.

The cloned image was Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, SP-2.

I have tried to run the hotfixes from KB 2553708 and KB 2470478.  Neither will install on the new AFD with cloned image, and result in the same error.

FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000222.

Again, I believe the hotfixes are bombing out because all hotfix installations require ESENT to be working.  That means they (hotfixes) are incapable of fixing systems on which ESENT is not running.

I’m not sure if you’re asking for me to confirm the correct Service Pack, the Hotfix, a third party or some other package.  It appears that KB 2553708 and KB 2470478 are addressing the exact same problem.  Did KB 2553708 supersede KB 2470478?  I have tried them both.  Neither would install as mentioned above.

jc

James CApe
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Yes, KB 2553708 is the hotfix rollup which supersedes KB 2470478.

I think you may use another tool to recreate the image to test. If it still not works, you have to do a fresh install and then the hotfix KB 2553708.

Also, please check if you downloaded the correct version of the package for the hotfix KB 2553708.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JimCape Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JimCape Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for clearing up some of my questions.

Do you have a recommendation on what other tool I should use to transfer the original image onto the new AFD?

Can you help me understand how a hotfix can be installed on a system where ESENT is not working?

Without understanding that, I can't see how the test above has a prayer of working.

James CApe
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Jan 1, 2012

I gave up on fixing the VISTA image as it originally cloned onto the new AFD.  So the original question is still an open one.

The trick seems to be in adding Hotfixes and driver updates to the original Vista image PRIOR to CLONING. 

This is contrary to published instructions in that one needs to apply a Hotfix before the issues it corrects present themselves.  It is a preventative measure for a possible future hardware change.

My problem was solved by applying preventive measures to the original Vista image on the 512-byte physical sector size hard disk.  The OS was functioning perfectly and 100% fully updated according to the OEM and MS.  I discovered that it was not adequate for cloning onto an Advanced Format Disc through trial and failure.  The bad clone did boot and operate normally for most activities but ALL the symptoms described in KB2553708 were present.  Most easily noticeable were Windows Update failures.

Step 1.  Verify compatibility of drive controller driver with new Advanced Format disks.  I have an Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, so I verified the driver was version 9.6 or newer to support 4k sector disks.

Step 2.  I ran “System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011]” .  It took 82 minutes on my system but reported “No errors detected”. I believe this means that this Hotfix made ZERO changes to the OS, and so is not necessary in my case.

Step 3.  Install Hotfix KB2553708.  Reboot and verify Windows Update still works.

Step 4.  Remove old 512-byte physical sector size hard disk drive and install new 4k-byte physical sector size hard disk AFD in its place.  Reattach old drive by whatever means available and perform cloning operation from old drive to new drive.  For me this involved booting from a CD with Acronis True Image WD Edition with old drive attached by USB.

Step 5.  Remove old disk and boot into the new one.  Verify Windows Update works.  Peruse the Event Logs for any issues.

Thankfully, I had the ability to access the original image on the old disk.

Two recommendations for Microsoft:
    A. Develop Hotfix to repair an image where this has happened.

B. Push updates, such as KB2553708, to all users in preparation for Advanced Format Drive technology, 4k-byte physical sector hard disks that are now wide spread in the marketplace.

v/r    jc

James CApe
    • Marked as answer by JimCape Monday, January 02, 2012 4:33 AM
    Monday, January 02, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Thank you Jim for your thorough explaination and solution to this issue.  Struggled for several days with the data migration from my old Toshiba 250gb 512K sector drive to my new Seagate 750gb 4k sector drive and was at my wits end.  The 9.6 driver update did not apply to me as well as the KB2553708 hotfix.  As I am using Vista, I found the KB2470478 hotfix was the one to use.  What is important overall, is to apply the hotfix to the Source Drive Image PRIOR to cloning to the destination drive. My suggestion to Microsoft, is that they need to detail this procedure on the hotfix itself.  It will save everyone using it a lot of grief.  Learned so much here, and I thank you for that!!!

• Marked as answer by JimCape Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:16 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:47 PM
  • For future reference:

1. Download the hotfix mentioned here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553708

2. Install this hotfix on a 2nd Vista machine.

3. Copy the new esent.dll ver 6.0.6002.22531 from the updated machine to a memory stick.

4. On the affected machine, start an elevated command prompt and change to the system32 directory.

5. Now type the following commands where UserName is the name of an Administrator account on the system:

takeown /f esent.dll

icacls esent.dll /grant UserName:F

ren esent.dll esent.old

6. Copy the esent.dll from the memory stick to the system32 directory.

7. Reboot

8. Install the hotfix. Instead of failing with the 0xC8000222 error it should process normally now.

fin

• Proposed as answer by Heems Friday, May 17, 2013 5:46 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:51 PM
  • I know this thread is a bit old, but I struggled for days (off and on) with the same problem, and I thought I'd contribute what worked for me in case it would help someone else. My method is largely what others have written here, but there were just enough twists to throw me off and require me to do a bunch of web research, and follow some blind alleys.

I have inserted URLs to useful pages, but I have had to leave off the leading "http://" for each one because otherwise I get an error message saying "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account".  Sorry.

Hardware/software situation:
    o Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit
    o Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 laptop with 4GB memory and Core 2 Duo P7370 processor
    o Original HDD - Hitachi 250GB SATA - not Advanced Format
    o Desired new HDD - Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB SATA - Advanced Format

What I did...

1. In the 250 GB HDD, I installed the hotfix rollup KB2553708. Website is: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistahardware/thread/32fe71df-35a6-4294-a1d6-ba2a59228348. It is supposed to enable Vista to use Advanced Format drives, and contains a newer version of ESENT.dll which is what seems to cause all the trouble. It needs to be installed while on the non-AFD drive, before cloning to the AFD drive.

2. I cloned the 250GB drive to the 1TB drive. I used Acronis True Image WD Edition, available free from the Western Digital website for use with WD drives. This version of Acronis is documented as being able to automatically align partitions to 4KB boundaries, as required by AFD drives. Other HDD manufacturers may provide similar utilities. I did the cloning in a Windows 7 desktop, by connecting each drive to spare SATA ports and spare SATA power connectors. (Actually, since this desktop has a front-mounted 2.5 inch hot-swap bay, I used that for one of the drives.) After this step, the 1TB AFD drive should have the new ESENT.dll, and it did, as verified by version numbers - but the problem was still there.

3. I checked to see what version of the SATA driver I had. Device Manager | IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers | Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller | Driver Details. I had Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) version 8.3 (if I remember correctly).

4. In the 1TB Vista clone, I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) Driver 8.8 from the Lenovo Support site (the most recent SATA driver Lenovo lists for the SL500) and rebooted - but the problem was still there.

5. In the 1TB Vista clone, I installed the Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) Driver 8.9 from the Intel drivers site (the most recent MSM driver Intel lists) and rebooted - but the problem was still there. (I did the in-Windows installation, not the floppy installation.)

6. I updated the SL500's BIOS from the Lenovo Support site from v1.19 to v1.30 - but the problem was still there. (I don't really have any evidence that the BIOS update was needed, but I was running out of ideas.)

7. In the 1TB Vista clone, I did the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Driver 11.2.0.1006 from the Intel site - problem solved!!! (I did the in-Windows installation, not the floppy installation.) The Intel search page for this is:

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=software+products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

The list of RST and MSM drivers for Vista was here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=software+products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

The RST 11.2 page was here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=21730&ProductFamily=software+products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&lang=eng

The specific file I downloaded was RST version 11.2.0.1006 dated 06/07/2012, named iata_enu.exe.

---------------
    The reason I left this RST driver update to the end: My SL500 contained an Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver, whereas sites like this talked about updating their Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. I assumed they were two different things, intended for different hardware and/or software configurations. I figured that if there was an RST driver version that had been updated for AFD's, there might also be an MSM driver version similarly updated. Therefore I spent too much time trying to find an MSM driver that would work.

Eventually, I read on the Intel site that the highest version of MSM was 9.5, and for 9.6 they renamed the product to RST.

Many sources on the internet, including the Intel site, referenced the Intel RST 9.6 driver as being needed. I had a hard time finding this version of the driver, and when I finally found it, it was documented as being for Intel desktop boards.

The only version of the RST driver that Intel showed for Vista is 11.2. However, RST Version 11.2 is documented in the Readme as requiring one of the following processors: Intel(R) vPro, Intel(R) Celeron, Intel(R) Pentium. My Lenovo SL500 doesn't have any of these (as far as I understand) - it has an Intel Core 2 Duo P7370 processor. However, my ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller was specifically listed as being supported.

So, I decided to try the RST 11.2. I figured that if it didn't work, I could always clone the 1TB drive again from the 250GB drive, and try something else.

------------------------
    References that helped the most were:

forum.acronis.com/forum/25558

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistahardware/thread/32fe71df-35a6-4294-a1d6-ba2a59228348 (this article)

forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/Vista-problems-after-cloning-a-ST9320421AS-to-ST9750420AS/td-p/142967

support.microsoft.com/kb/2470478

support.microsoft.com/kb/2553708/en-us

--------------------

To summarize, if I had to do it again, I would try this sequence:
    1. In the 250GB drive, install hotfix KB2553708.
    2. Clone the 250GB drive to the 1TB drive.
    3. In the 1TB drive, install Intel RST 11.2 SATA driver.
    4. Only if things still don't work, update the BIOS.

• Edited by Pampered Electron Monday, January 07, 2013 2:34 PM typos
    • Proposed as answer by Ronehu Friday, August 02, 2013 5:08 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 2:30 PM
  • @SkayBees

This worked for me as I could not install the hotfix on the cloned drive, but I took a slightly different route:

1. Installed the hotfix on the original drive and rebooted.
    2. Copied the esent.dll to a usb stick.
    3. Swapped drives to the previously cloned/bigger drive.
    4. Booted into Windows PE (using Harlin's CD).
    5. Copied/overwrote esent.dll from usb stick to drive system32 folder.
    6. Booted off the cloned drive and proceeded to install the hotfix without any errors and rebooted.

Verified Windows update is working and ESENT events in event log stopped.  For good measure ran Intel's chipset update utility which also updated 3 chipset drivers related to the SATA IO controller to latest version.

• Edited by Heems Friday, May 17, 2013 5:47 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Pampered Electron, your solution saved my week, I had the same issue with Windows 2008 Server (Vista based, not R2) on Intel DZ77GA-70K board.

For those with the same problem, links for the drivers that worked for me:

- Too solve RST starting trouble, install this Marvell driver first:

downloadmirror.intel.com/21026/eng/SATA_allOS_1.2.0.1019_PV_Marvell.exe

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) RAID Driver Version: 11.7.0.1013

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldID=22194

Friday, August 02, 2013 4:54 PM
  • The hotfix can be installed on the system where the problem is occurring using pkgmgr.exe.  See the following link for how to extract an .msu and install it using pkgmgr.  I had this problem after cloning Vista to a new 750 GB drive, and after installing the hotfix using pkgmgr and rebooting, Windows Update is functioning correctly. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/03/11/8163455.aspx

Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:43 PM