none
Downloads fail to complete on Windows 7

Question

• When I download files > 10 MB the success seems to be hit and miss.  Sometimes the download is able to complete, others it fails.  When it fails it does not explicitly say that the download has failed, the average download speed just continues to go down and no new data comes in.  I have tried both Internet Explorer as well as Chrome and Firefox and experienced similar results with each.  How do I prevent my downloads from stopping?

Thanks
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:37 PM

Answers

• Have you installed any network accelerators? If so please remove them.

If the issue still occurs, let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:47 AM

All replies

• Update:  I have also noticed that the downloads are stopping at exactly the same point when I try to download the file a second or third time

Monday, December 21, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Check you network card / router for windows 7 compatibility
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Have you installed any network accelerators? If so please remove them.

If the issue still occurs, let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Was there anything conclusive ever found for this?  I have almost the exact issue:

I have a new Dell Precision M6600 laptop Windows 7 x64.

I have tried 12 times to download a 35mb file with no success (8mb, 30mb, 15mb, etc).

I pulled out my old HP laptop with XP. It downloaded the file first try.

I then tried downloading on both laptops at the same time. XP downloaded. Windows 7 failed.

I tried both wifi and wired on both laptops. XP downloaded everytime, Windows 7 failed every time.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening... seems similar to the original post...

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Same problem here on multiple Window 7 x65 PCs ???
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:16 AM
  • same problem here. Is there fix for this yet.

Here is something funny. :) I installed an XP pro OS on a virtual machine that was hosted by windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Downloads work every time on the XP virtual machine. lol.

So what is going on with windows 7 microsoft?

EDIT: for the record i have turned off all services listed above for a clean boot. Still same issues.

We are sitting behind a SonicWALL ns240 box. don't know if that has anything to do with it, given that the downloads work fine on XP boxes in the same network.

• Edited by dogdaynoon Friday, August 31, 2012 6:12 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 5:58 PM
  • If it works in the XP mode, but not 7, the previous post pretty well establishes the Windows 7 OS as the culprit. It is obviously using all of the same hardware in each "mode." I have a Dual-Core HP laptop with 4GB of RAM, running 7 Pro that consistently dies at 90% of a download. (with various files) It doesn't generate any errors - it just stops incrementing. The same files downloads just fine on our XP PCs. I have tried all of the proposed solutions without any beneficial results. This seems to be a pretty common problem with Windows 7. The web has a lot of posts about this problem. (This happens with wired and wireless connections.)

WHEN is Microsoft going to fix this problem?

• Edited by MrBobber Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:11 PM
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Here is some more information on this. I was able to download the AVAST Anti-virus Free Version from C|NET at this link here:http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3001-2239_4-10019223.html?spi=768090084c031c721cbe67af304399a9

Seems like All downloads from C|Net are fine.

It is about 83MB and it never froze once, i downloaded it 7 times with IE 9 and 2 times with Google Chrome. When i play youTube video's they constantly freeze {every single time - no exceptions}

FTP comes through just fine. Flash video does not. Downloads of "Google Chrome" (the browser) freeze about 75% of the time. Downloads of "Google Earth" (the software), freeze about 75% of the time. Download of DotNetNuke Freezes Every time. Downloads of HP Drivers from HP website Freeze constantly.

Could someone perhaps try the download of Avast Free Antivrus or any downloads from C|Net and see if you get the same results... as in, never failing.

Thanks,

dogdaynoon

EDIT: Trying to download adobe reader X. Website downloads the installer but when installing adobe reader the download failed 6 times before i was able to get a good install.
    • Edited by dogdaynoon Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Okay here is the answer i have come up with: i have tried it now on 2 machines and going for the 3rd one soon.

open command prompt as administrator:

run these commands:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

and to be honest, i think you will only need to run the second one. I ran both on one computer and just the second on another. works either way.

Restarted and PRESTO! you tube with no pauses and downloads complete now.

This is working still.

• Edited by dogdaynoon Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Pyro01 Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:02 PM
  • To the last post, dogdaynoon, it works!  I did the second run command you listed, only, and my downloads are successful now!  Sweetness...

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Okay here is the answer i have come up with: i have tried it now on 2 machines and going for the 3rd one soon.

open command prompt as administrator:

run these commands:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

and to be honest, i think you will only need to run the second one. I ran both on one computer and just the second on another. works either way.

Restarted and PRESTO! you tube with no pauses and downloads complete now.

This is working still.

The heuristics disabled command did not work, but the autotuning command did work.  We were seeing this issue on a clients computers for Windows 7, and Windows Surface Pro tablets, but XP machines were fine.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:39 PM
  • I am using Windows 7 64bit and have been experiencing the same problem: Downloading of large files fail, regardless of which browser I had been using.

What I have tried:

- Resetting the ADSL router.

- Clear browsing data and Cache.

- Clean start-up.

- Removing Anti-Virus. A few months ago, it seemed that the problem was caused by Avast!. I have since loaded AVG Free Antivirus, without success.

- All important Windows updates are complete.

Any real help would be much appreciated.

Monday, May 20, 2013 12:25 PM
  • I had a similair problem once. Ended up being a corrupt block on the hard drive. Here's what happens, you dload a file, it never completes, you stop the dload, delete file. You try to deload it again, now this is were it gets funky. Because that block/sector is bad, but the OS doesn't know it, it tries to write to the same place again beacuse of the file pointer in that bad block/sector. Because when you delete a file, it doesn't automatically zero out that sector, it still has a file pointer for disaster recovery. I ran a chkdsk and had it check each sector, once it detected and marked the sector bad, I was able to dload and unzip my file.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 8:26 PM