none
Can't play MKV files in media center

Question

• I'm having some trouble getting MKV files to play in Media Center.  I have the codecs and splitters installed and the files play fine in WMP, but when I try to play the same files in Media Center, I get a message saying that the specified file cannot be found.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• Norm1320

I Know your problem and maybe this is the only solution for:
    We talking about Windows 7, because its more different that Vista, ok?, In Windows 7 M2TS and mp4 is handled by the OS using Windows Media Fondation (WMF) by the native players,
    WMF is the successor to Directshow.

1- If you are using any code pack you need to UNISTALL ALL. W 7 NOT need especial codes to play a lot files, and is very important do NOT modify the registry for. A lot of this codes make changes in registry to play files.
    2-Test this: for default W 7 (IN a clean instalation) can play MT2S files very fine, after install codes pack, this files play corrupts. I´m sorry, maybe UNISTALLING the code pack is not solution: SO is corrupt, becuase a lot codes pack in the net, DESTROY THE SO. You need to REINSTALL the SO. FFDSHOW is a DS filter and ITS NOT COMPATIBLE 100% WITH W7.
    3-If you have a CLEAN instalation of W7 the only code to see MKV (and other files) is Win7codecs for Shark007.net. The only pack of codes with  100% full working in W7. I test a lot of codes.
    4-The only problem, depending of your version of W7, you cannot use outside subtiltes, Microsoft is working about it, wait.
     If you have 64 bits version you need to install the 64bits  Add-on.

Im using WVista 64B and W764 (official beta built 7000) in a dual boot machine and play FINE MKV files in Media Center and WMP 32 & 64 bits.
    • Marked as answer by Norm1320 Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:03 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• Greetings Norm1320,

It's my understanding that Vista (and probably Windows 7) by default doesn't play that video format. I don't know which codecs are already installed in your computer, but you may want to try this "Codec Package" which doesn't need any additional setup or tweak to work under Windows Media Center.

Let us know the results please.

G'luck and regards.
    W7 Beta running on an AMD Semprom 3200+ (1800Mhz) with 2 Gbs of RAM and a built-in Nvidia 6100 VGA, and mate, it runs like a charm! And now on my VAIO FE31M Laptop.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately it didn't help.  Media Center still gives a "cannot find the selected file" message.  And it appears that the moderators have once again marked one of my questions as answered without waiting to see if it solved the problem.  *sigh*
    • Proposed as answer by RebelSage Monday, April 27, 2009 5:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Norm1320 Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:07 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:37 AM
  • I believe you need the Haali Media Splitter, MKVs should work then.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:04 PM
  • http://www.cccp-project.net/ this codec pack worked for me.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:57 AM
  • http://www.cccp-project.net/ this codec pack worked for me.

This is what I'm using now.  Unfortunately while it does get Media Player working, it didn't help the problem with Media Center.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:08 AM
  • I believe you need the Haali Media Splitter, MKVs should work then.

Included in the cccp codec pack that I'm already using.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Have you checked which codecs do you have installed?

W7 Beta running on an AMD Semprom 3200+ (1800Mhz) with 2 Gbs of RAM and a built-in Nvidia 6100 VGA, and mate, it runs like a charm! And now on my VAIO FE31M Laptop.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Norm1320

I Know your problem and maybe this is the only solution for:
    We talking about Windows 7, because its more different that Vista, ok?, In Windows 7 M2TS and mp4 is handled by the OS using Windows Media Fondation (WMF) by the native players,
    WMF is the successor to Directshow.

1- If you are using any code pack you need to UNISTALL ALL. W 7 NOT need especial codes to play a lot files, and is very important do NOT modify the registry for. A lot of this codes make changes in registry to play files.
    2-Test this: for default W 7 (IN a clean instalation) can play MT2S files very fine, after install codes pack, this files play corrupts. I´m sorry, maybe UNISTALLING the code pack is not solution: SO is corrupt, becuase a lot codes pack in the net, DESTROY THE SO. You need to REINSTALL the SO. FFDSHOW is a DS filter and ITS NOT COMPATIBLE 100% WITH W7.
    3-If you have a CLEAN instalation of W7 the only code to see MKV (and other files) is Win7codecs for Shark007.net. The only pack of codes with  100% full working in W7. I test a lot of codes.
    4-The only problem, depending of your version of W7, you cannot use outside subtiltes, Microsoft is working about it, wait.
     If you have 64 bits version you need to install the 64bits  Add-on.

Im using WVista 64B and W764 (official beta built 7000) in a dual boot machine and play FINE MKV files in Media Center and WMP 32 & 64 bits.
    • Marked as answer by Norm1320 Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:03 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Thanks very much for the info.  It works fine now.  I'd still love to know why the codecs I was using before worked for WMP but not MC, but that's not so important.  Thanks again.
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Norm, just a FYI  - you dont need nomore codecs and packs to get MKV working in 7.  All you need now is Divx MKV preview app..  Just install that and your done..
    Working great on RC and on my 360
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I have great experience with GOM Player. It has native codecs, so no need for any others.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:51 PM
  • i downloaded the codecs from http://shark007.net/ so as to get the whole experience, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about, and i havent found a problem yet
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:31 AM
  • k-lite code pack will fix it x86 and x64
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:59 PM
  • 2 questions I would like to ask: a) how come that in Windows 7 64bits WMP plays in 32bit mode and can I turn it to 64? and b) How can I play divx files in WMP with subtitles...? In vista 32 bits I used DirectVobSub to do that but I cannot find a 64 bits version of the program for win7..
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Who ever has Window 7 Media Center , and cant play all the video formats, don't bother messing around looking on the internet looking all day at forums. All of them just say the same thing somthing about messing around with  registry hack DONT BOTHER!!!!!!!

Simply just download CCCP AMAZING worked stringth away!!!
    Friday, January 08, 2010 10:16 PM
  • I just downloaded CCCP and .mkv now plays fine on WMP 12. BUT, on Windows Media Center, there is NO SOUND. I checked my volume mixer and everything looks fine. I also maxed out the volume on Windows Media Center to 50, still no sound. Again, there is sound on Windows Media Player 12 but not on Windows Media Center.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:51 AM
  • Problem with CCCP is that it does not utilize hardware acceleration and uses too much CPU
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Solution: http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack

This is a free download from divx and it solved my problems playing .mkv files with Windows 7 Media Center x64.

The shark codecs pack and ffdshow did not work.

• Proposed as answer by Funksta Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:07 AM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:07 AM