none
Windows 8 (Pro) :: Moving system and applications to (new) SSD

Question

• I have purchased a new desktop PC with Windows 8 and other applications installed in the system. I have also purchased an upgrade for Windows 8 Pro, but haven't installed it yet. I would like to buy and install SSD to the system and move operating system and applications to SSD, to improve desktop performance. How can I move system and applications to new SSD? Can I do that as a part of Windows 8 Pro upgrade or should I do it before/after upgrade?

Please advise with details. Thank you.
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:00 PM

Answers

• You would need to clone (image) your current hard drive using a third-party application such as Acronis True Image 2013 and then apply the cloned image to the new SSD.  Afterward, you perform the upgrade to Windows 8.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by JayAge Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:29 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:12 PM

All replies

• You would need to clone (image) your current hard drive using a third-party application such as Acronis True Image 2013 and then apply the cloned image to the new SSD.  Afterward, you perform the upgrade to Windows 8.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by JayAge Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:29 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:12 PM

Carey Frisch

Will I be able to clone it even when sizes are different? HDD is 2TB, SSD is 128GB.

• Edited by JayAge Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:19 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:17 PM
  • That would be a good question to ask the experts in the Acronis Forums.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:05 PM
  • That would be a good question to ask the experts in the Acronis Forums.

Carey Frisch

It seems to be possible: Upgrading 500gb HDD to 240gb SSD

Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:28 PM