none
Windows 7 Professional system hang / freeze

Question

• Hello

I am using Windows 7 professional x86, with 4Gb of ram with all the latest windows updates.
    I am using KIS 2010 and my notebook is perhaps virus free

My notebook freezes quite randomly, it hangs even not many programs were running.

I checked up the evet log and the following message were shown after it freeze.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          10/6/2009 4:45:34 PM
    Event ID:      41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Steven-PC
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-10-06T23:45:34.125216900Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4468</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Steven-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
        <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
    Date:          10/6/2009 4:45:52 PM
    Event ID:      11
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Steven-PC
    Description:
    Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206F6DEA-D3C5-4D10-BC72-989F03C8B84B}" />
        <EventID>11</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-10-06T23:45:52.424049000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4474</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="508" ThreadID="544" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Steven-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="StringCount">2</Data>
        <Data Name="String">C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd3.dll</Data>
        <Data Name="String">C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\kloehk.dll</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Please help, Thank you!
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Stevenchenghk,

I'd suggest uninstalling the Kaspersky software, and seeing if things improve.  You may first wish to disconnect from any network (as you would be uninstalling your AV / security software)...
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, October 12, 2009 10:14 AM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Also, can you check for a C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Does that folder exist. and if so, are there any minidump files in that folder? 
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi Stevenchenghk,

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please see if it occurs in Clean Boot mode. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

In addition, when the issue occurs, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Esc combine key to launch Task Manager, on the Processes tab, find the process which is taking the most usage of the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Stevenchenghk,

I'd suggest uninstalling the Kaspersky software, and seeing if things improve.  You may first wish to disconnect from any network (as you would be uninstalling your AV / security software)...
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Also, can you check for a C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Does that folder exist. and if so, are there any minidump files in that folder? 
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:25 PM
  • this folder doesnt exist ...
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi Stevenchenghk,

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please see if it occurs in Clean Boot mode. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

In addition, when the issue occurs, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Esc combine key to launch Task Manager, on the Processes tab, find the process which is taking the most usage of the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:49 AM
  • I'll note that others have reported similar perf issues on 7, that went away after uninstalling Kaspersky (and potentially replacing it with some other security / AV software such as AVG).
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Same problem on windows 7, it doesn't have anything to do with any AV or other software, its purely a problem in windows.

How did I come to that conclusion? - Simple, the system froze firstly just minutes after installation. It freezes daily at the very least, I've decided to use linux instead, that doesn't look as nice as windows, but at least it doesn't keep freezing.

I asked windows technical support several times about the problem, they seemed more clueless than me about it.

---

Best answer I found so far: Disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, but I'm not sure how it'll make any difference. I'll try it and see, if it makes improvement, its good enough for me.

• Edited by Linux_User_1 Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:02 PM Possible solution found, not 100% sure yet.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Causes are varied; it follows that so are the potential solutions.

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

Also remove all unnecessary hardware from the system - try to get to a stable base and slowly add things back so you know what the most recent thing you changed was, that affected the problem.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS.

You could check the behavior in safe mode, or if you do a clean boot or device clean boot.

If the system is completely frozen, consider turning on driver verifier's deadlock detection, or configuring the system to respond to a manual crash, so the hang dump can be inspected.

Try driver verifier's deadlock detection, or generating a manual crash dump.

To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings->Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Try to reproduce the hang after enabling verifier as described, and then upload any dump created by enabling verifier to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I've tried all the above, none made any improvement.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Not all of the items are meant to improve anything - they're meant to try to isolate behaviors and provide additional details.

If the freezing persists in safe mode, with no AV / Security software installed or running, then the problem quite likely is hardware related and efforts should be focused on elimination of unnecessary hardware, and replacement of current hardware with known good hardware, where available.

Did you try the hang dump? How large was the kernel memory dump?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I tried the complete and kernel dump, windows kept turning the settings off after I saved them, I checked event viewer, most of the time the system freezes, its caused by something related to VSS service, thats as far as I've seen from event viewer.

There's no hardware problems, I checked everything thoroughly, the problem only appears while using windows. As I said before, other operating systems such as linux work perfectly fine, the problem only appears on windows. Faulty hardware would affect performance on all systems, I don't see how any faulty hardware can chose to function perfectly well on linux and other systems, but cause problems on when using windows.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Different drivers for the hardware can make use of different features, or make use of the features differently.

The only times that I've seen the settings for the crash dump get lost, some other software was interfering. 

Did you use deadlock detection in verifier?  What are the VSS events you refer to?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:31 PM
  • "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout." - VSS

Then a few minutes later: "The Application Experience service entered the stopped state." - Service Control Manager

Same order follows for all freezing events I checked so far, nothing else in common except that.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Those sound like normal events that happen when there is nothing for the services to do.  They shut down.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:58 PM
  • I understand your point, but the problem is that this happens when the computer's being used as well as when its not in use. Following those events is always a complete frozen-state of the computer. The only way to shut it down and restart is to use the power button. I'm reinstalling windows 7 after a 1-pass cleanup on the hard disk in a few hours time. I'll see if it makes any difference this time.

Previously, the technical team from windows told me to do the following:

- Disable non-Microsoft services etc (even though this was immediately after installing windows, no other software was installed at the time).

- Check chipset and graphics drivers.

- Reinstall Windows.

- Reinstall all drivers.

- Reinstall JRE and DX.

- Disable Kaspersky and use 'Windows Protection' <-- This option I would never use on a computer while it is connected to the Internet, windows firewall is hardly something I can trust to keep my computer protected. I noticed the technical team hasn't been very helpful in this, they always insist that someone else's software is causing the problems, so their advice is always the same, to 'disable non-microsoft services'.

I'll see about fixing this problem, if it still freezes, I'll stick to Ubuntu for that PC. So far, I only see windows as the problem. Faulty hardware would mean problems on any O/S, faulty Kaspersky would mean there shouldn't be problems on a freshly installed windows on a clean hard drive if there's no kaspersky installed on it to be 'faulty'.

Worst part is the windows team thinks anyone asking for assistance is a 'complete idiot'. I'm not a complete beginner, I don't need to be told what a computer is or isn't. I'm sure most people who ask for assistance are reasonably intelligent individuals who don't want to take their computers to the 'technical support' at PC World.

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:44 PM
  • The manual crash dump ("hang dump"), or verifier's deadlock detection, would be the next steps to take, if the behavior persists in clean boot or safe boot.

The reason for suggesting disabling non-Microsoft software is that sooooo frequently it is the cause of such problems where the suggestion is made.

We've already discussed the faulty hardware aspect, fine.  Kaspersky may have negative interactions with other software.  In fact, if you ran Sysinternals Procmon on XP with some versions of Kaspersky software, you would be greeted with a very nice hang, similar to what you seem to be experiencing.  If there's no other software installed, I would suggest double-checking that no third-party drivers are used.  Sorry, but that goes back to a "non-Microsoft" software component, for better or worse.

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:58 PM
  • The problem is I've checked all those already. Windows keeps turning off the crash dump option by itself, and there's nothing else on that PC except windows right now. I did a fresh reinstall last night after a quick format, normal 4kB cluster size partition. I got Windows 7 Professional x86. I've just got one more option to try which I've not tried yet, thats to do a 1-pass clean and reinstall. I'll see if it makes any difference.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Windows doesn't just undo settings.  It sucks, but that seems to be another problem to investigate.  Do you reboot gracefully immediately after changing the settings?

What specific settings are you referring to?  Sysinternals' Process Monitor can be of use to try to figure out what's changing settings and why (event call stacks).  

Have you tried verifier's deadlock detection? With what outcome?

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I tried rebooting immediately after changing settings and tried rebooting after waiting a few minutes and tried without rebooting altogether, but none made any difference.

I've tried many things so far, don't remember any details, but nothing showed much useful information, even when I forwarded full system information to technical team, they couldn't see what's wrong. 

When I tried verifier deadlock detection, it didn't do anything, no difference, no 'unverified' drivers detected either. I've even tried using various tools to check for problems, nothing detected any problems. chkdsk found no problems, iobit advanced system care free edition found nothing. I tried many other tools, no problems found. I defragmented the drive, it made no difference. I tried 'windows fix it' before anything else. I reinstalled all drivers, made no difference. Now I'm wiping hard disk to reinstall windows 7 again, to check if it makes any difference.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:15 PM
  • With verifier enabled, you need to use the system until it either bugchecks because verifier detected something, or until it hangs (because what's going on isn't a deadlock).  You can't just turn verifier on, reboot, and turn it off.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I know, but it found nothing. The system froze several times, still nothing found.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Life after XP got harder not easier so I switched to MAC. My HP/Windows 7 professional freezes running explorer 8. Performance issues presist.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:36 PM
  • All you need to go about troubleshooting the problems are detailed in previous posts.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:37 PM
  • I eventually just disabled some serial ports on the PC from device manager, then turned off windows defender and windows firewall and a few other windows services, basically anything I thought to be less useful for general use. It seems to be working fine now. It turned out not to be kaspersky causing any problems, it is one of the things I disabled which comes as part of windows, so now no more problems since I disabled it.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I tried the complete and kernel dump, windows kept turning the settings off after I saved them, I checked event viewer, most of the time the system freezes, its caused by something related to VSS service, thats as far as I've seen from event viewer.

There's no hardware problems, I checked everything thoroughly, the problem only appears while using windows. As I said before, other operating systems such as linux work perfectly fine, the problem only appears on windows. Faulty hardware would affect performance on all systems, I don't see how any faulty hardware can chose to function perfectly well on linux and other systems, but cause problems on when using windows.

I have the same boring freezing problem with Windows 7/32 (professional) which ended with BSOD. Mostly, not always, the problem arise after returning from sleep (use the MCE standby tool). I do already a lot of tests (f.i. memtest86 and HDD). All drivers and programs are up-to-date.

I have installed last week Ubuntu 10.04 too on my system (dual boot). Windows crashes regularly and Ubuntu don't (not even after resume from sleep ;-). So, there is IMHO indeed no hardware issue.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:55 PM
  • I run into the same problem; usually, my laptop freezes if there is no window showing (i.e., just the desktop), even if other windows are running but minimized.  I try to remember to keep at least one item showing (like Task Manager) but frequently forget; then, within about 1/2 hour, my computer will "freeze" (mouse may work but that's it).

Symptoms/steps:

1) I'll come back, and while my mouse is fine, the taskbar at the bottom will not show.

2) If I click any icon, it won't open, but my mouse pointer gets the "swirly" icon.

3) If I try to get to the "lock" menu by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Delete to boot up task manager, it usually doesn't work (until, and IF, the freeze ends).

4) At some times, the mouse will then freeze, and I can't do anything; my entire screen is frozen.

If this wears off after anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute, it will then go into the "lock" menu, but frequently, I have to power down to get my computer to work again.

The only frequent culprit (most of the time) that I can see in any of the event logs is "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout."  It's not always easy to pin down when the freeze "starts" because I may be away from my laptop for some time, and other applications continue to run in the background, so "The VSS service..." is not always the last item in the event log before I shut down.  VERY rarely, it's not there, so there may be other causes, but this is apparently the most frequent by far.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:29 PM