none
Windows Media Player Has Stopped Working

Question

• I'm running Vista x86 RC2 Build 5744 on a high-powered HP Pavilion DV6000z. Whenever I try to open the media player I get "Windows Media Player Has Stopped Working" and " A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." The same also occurs when double-clicking any media file. When I try to stream to the player in IE7 - the browser just goes white and crashes otherwise the browser works as advertised.

I've seen some mention of users running Vista able to uninstall and reinstall but I just can't seem to find a way to do that. Does anyone have any ideas for a next step?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:34 PM

All replies

• I've also been getting this as well.  I've gotten 4 maybe 5 of these this morning while watching a video I downloaded from the internet.  I thought maybe it might have been a corrupted .avi file, but it turns out, after I restart the video and go back just a few seconds before it crashed, the video plays fine.  Apparently, it crashes randomly. It happens with other videos as well.  I decided to actually search the internet for some answer and I found you posting this with the same problem.

File is encoded with xvid.  I just decided to try running GSpot v2.60RC01.  It says DirectShow crashes while trying to obtain information about a codec.  "Unknown video codec #9" Weird. I'll work that out later.  No idea if it is related to the WMP crashing while watching a video.  It crashes randomly somewhere while watching the video. It could be 2 mins into it, or 50 mins, or close to the end of the file.  It can happen with other files as well.  Not exactly sure if its just .avi/xvid files.

I save these files over the network to another computer that basically runs as a gateway/router/firewall/storage. (linux box)  The system in which I play these videos is below.

My system setup:

P4 1.6A CPU
    Asrock P4VM800 MB (Using built in NIC (VIA RHINE 10/100Mb)
    1G RAM
    Radeon 7500 AGP 64Meg DDR Video card running dual head (1152x864/1024x768)  (Default detected video drivers)
    WDC WD800JD-08LSA0 ATA Device  (80G SATA Drive)

I don't recall any crashes while being in IE7 as I mostly download any videos before watching them.  Watching them in a browser just isn't my taste.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 5:11 PM
  • Windows media player is probably corrupt, i had the same problem on the computer, i directly installed media player again it worked a treat i even installed vista codecs v435 as to get functionality from divx codecs, hey what can i say it works albeit from fast fwd and reverse of divx movies. should point out that i had to disable vistas security system and then run in safe mode to remove the above programs then restart the system normally, vista is well robust as it tends to look for updates to make the system stable again. Also you can always use system restore from a time before the problem occured i couldnt use this because i had turned off system restore. Anyway hope it helps.

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:27 PM
  • why dont you just play the file with the divx player? worked for me
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:31 PM
  • I am running XP and I recently installed a new G-Force graphics card. Before I installed it, instructions told me to unistall my current Dell video drivers. I uninstalled the current drivers for my dell then installed the G-Force card and installed the new G-Froce drivers. After a rebooted I kept receiving a start up error about my old drivers for the dell were missing so re-installed them from dell.com. The start-up error message went away but I recently tried using Windows Media player and it tries to open the file but slows my computer down to almost freezing it. I was wondering would installing a graphics card and reinstalling old drivers result in this problem I am having. Please let me know.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:26 PM
  • I am getting crashes in both Windows Media Player and the DivX Player when I try to play an Xvid encoded avi file.  This problem only occurred recently after updates to both of those players.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:21 PM
  • I'm having this problem right now with Vista x64 and SP1.  This problem began about three weeks ago.  I've tried unintalling media player as well as stopping media player from running using msconfig.  Nothing seems to work.  At various times I'll receive the Windows box that states,

"Windows Media Player has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

My system is current with all patches and drivers (such as video, etc.).

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?  I tried looking for media player to re-install but it obviously never really uninstalled.
    Thanks,

Nick.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:44 AM
  • I think I mat have the solution to this - well it worked for me today when I put it into action.  I found a vista codec package:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Vista_Codec_Package.htm

I used version 5.1.4 - 32bit version.  There is also a 64bit version available.  Hope it fixes your problem - I had lost hope and uninstalled & re-installed loads of programs without any joy.

All the best,
    • Proposed as answer by mipomaker Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:58 PM
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:58 PM
  • This worked for me, thank you for the fix!
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I have this problem as well. Will someone at Microsoft please fix this????
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:09 PM