none
How to edit registry using recovery console or dos

Question

• Hello everybody!
    Due to some reason (virus) the value of  - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon - Shell " was changed so I repaired it with Explorer.exe. But  due to some spelling mistake now I can log in in Win Xp. When the user log in screen appears and I choose the account its automatically logOff and return to the User Log in screen.
    Now I have to repair the spelling mistake in registry key.
    Please inform How can I do this. I can't log in so I can't use "Regedit". Can it is possible to edit the registry using recovery console?

Thanks & regards
    nitin
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I had a similar problem where experimenting with changing they keyboard scancodes disabled the ctrl and alt keys leaving me unable to log in. I was able to edit the registry using the Vista install disk recovery console as follows:

Boot from Vista install disk, choose recovery, and command prompt.
    Open the registry editor: regedit
    This loads the registry editor with a temporary registry, not the windows registry from the hard disk.
    Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry tree, and go to the File menu and choose "Load Hive".
    Open the registry hive file SOFTWARE from the location: C:\Windows\System32\Config
    Give it a random name different to any of the existing names (the name doesn't matter).

Make the necessary changes to the registry hive.

Select the registry hive you edited, go to File, and choose "Unload Hive".

Then exit the recovery console and restart. The registry should have been changed.

Cheers,
    • Proposed as answer by Justin K.1 Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Step 1
    Type "cd %systemroot%/system32/" into the command prompt to go to the folder that contains the Registry Editor.

Step 2
    Type "reg" into the command prompt to display a list of parameters and instructions on how to edit the system registry.

Step 3
    Type "reg [parameter] /?", replacing "[parameter]" with one of the listed parameters, into the command prompt to list all available functions that can be used with that parameter.

Step 4
    Type "reg [parameter] [function]" into the command line, but replace "[parameter]" with one of the listed parameters (query, add, delete, copy, etc.) and "[function]" with a function listed above, along with any additional options for each function. For example, to delete a registry key, type "reg delete [rootkey]\[keyname]", replacing the "[rootkey]\[keyname]" text with the location of the registry key.

Step 5
    Save a registry key by typing "reg save [rootkey]\[keyname] [filename].hiv", where the "[rootkey]" and "[keyname]" text are the location and name of the registry file and "[filename]" is the name of the file to which you are saving the key.

Step 6
    Restore a registry key by typing "reg restore [rootkey]\[keyname] [filename].hiv", where the "[rootkey]" and "[keyname]" text are the location and key name that you want to restore and "[filename]" is the name of the file containing the saved key.

Step 7
    Import a "REG" file by typing "reg import [filename].reg". To export a registry key to a "REG" file, type "reg export [rootkey]\[keyname] [filename].hiv", where the "[rootkey]" and "[keyname]" text are the location and key name that you want to export and "[filename]" is the name of the "REG" file you are exporting.

• Proposed as answer by Swapnil99pro Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:35 AM
  • WHEN I TYEP REG AT THE COMMAND LINE IN THE SYSTEM32 DIRECTOR, I GET THE COMMAND IS NOT RECOGNIZED. TYPE HELP FOR A LIST OF SUPPORTED COMMANDS!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Same here; does anyone know how to edit the registry from the recovery console?

Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

Monday, February 04, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

I had a similar problem where experimenting with changing they keyboard scancodes disabled the ctrl and alt keys leaving me unable to log in. I was able to edit the registry using the Vista install disk recovery console as follows:

Boot from Vista install disk, choose recovery, and command prompt.
    Open the registry editor: regedit
    This loads the registry editor with a temporary registry, not the windows registry from the hard disk.
    Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry tree, and go to the File menu and choose "Load Hive".
    Open the registry hive file SOFTWARE from the location: C:\Windows\System32\Config
    Give it a random name different to any of the existing names (the name doesn't matter).

Make the necessary changes to the registry hive.

Select the registry hive you edited, go to File, and choose "Unload Hive".

Then exit the recovery console and restart. The registry should have been changed.

Cheers,
    This worked for me on a windows 2008R2 server, when the admin had changed a few keys incorrectly.

Ron

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:32 AM