none
"Print Spooler Service is not Working"

Question

• I have Windows XP Pro. My printer simply stopped working 4 days ago. I did some online research.
    I have gone through Run -> services.msc to the list of services.

Print Spooler had been set to "MAnual" in this list when I checked it. I changed it to Automatic and set it to "started". The line for status will not remain set at "Started". Every time I turn off the machine, that line goes blank. So I accordingly reset the Remote Procedure Call and the Remote Procedure Call Locator, which also had mysteriously changed to "Manual". The "Log On As" setting I wasn't so sure about - this computer used to be networked at my former office, now it's a stand alone machine, so I changed those settings both ways, and neither setting seemed to make any difference - computer will not print or acknowledge a printer or add a printer. After each of these changes, I rebooted the computer, the changes stay as I put them, except for the Print Spooler Status will not remain "Started" with each reboot - I have to manually change it to "Start" on the services list page. In any of these configurations, when I try to print, absolutely nothing happens.

I go to Printers and Faxes, hit "Install a printer" and get the dratted Warning message: "Print Spooler is not working"

I did have a minor virus attack this machine early in the morning when this happened, a defender.exe. I hit rKill and stopped it, ran Malwarbytes right away, and I thought I had removed it with no trouble. Could there be a connection? The computer seems to be working fine since then, except this mysterious disappearance of a connection to my printer...

Any ideas will be appreciated.

B. Eidolon

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I suggest go throught the troubleshoot steps below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/printer-problems-in-windows

According to the symptom, I suspect certain registry or temp file is corrupted. We may need to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

If it does not help, please create a new user account to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, I suggest go throught the troubleshoot steps below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/printer-problems-in-windows

According to the symptom, I suspect certain registry or temp file is corrupted. We may need to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

If it does not help, please create a new user account to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

http://printers.iyogi.com/errors/printer-spooler-error.html

Hope this information helps you.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:55 AM