none
Windows store apps unable to connect to the internet if windows firewall service is running

Question

• Hello,

I am on windows 8.1. and out of the blue my store apps have stopped connecting to the internet anymore, and I get the dreaded -
    Your PC is not connected to the Internet. To use the Store please connect to the Internet and then try again. The error number is 0x80072EFD. 

However,
    1. All the live tiles are 'live'. Its only when I click on tile that I get the error.
    2. If I turn off the windows firewall service everything seems to work, i.e, my apps all start working and connecting to the internet.

I have done the usual attempts at fixing the problem, I have done wsreset and had a go at adding explicit rules to the firewall to allow both inbound and outbound connections, but to no avail.

Any ideas and help would be great.

Thanks.

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried what you suggested, but no luck.

1. When I run the windows app troubleshooter, it reports that - "Display adapter might be out of date", however I know that it is not, because, when I do the 'Update driver' from device manager, it says that my drivers are up to date.
    2. Network troubleshooter detects no problems.
    3. I have tried creating a new User Account, that does not work either.

Another thing, when I run fiddler, the apps magically start working again. Fiddler, as you know, runs a local proxy, so my guess is that there is an issue with the firewall which is blocking out-bound traffic from apps.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, the error code 0x80072EFD would appare while Windows update encounter network problem.

Firstly, please try to use APP troubleshooter to fix it for test, if no use, it may identify the reason of this problem.

Windows App troubleshooter: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

Secondly, please run Internet Connections troubleshooter to check this problem.

Open the Network troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Identify and repair in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Identify and repair network problems.

If problem persists, please try to create a new User Account to test this problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried what you suggested, but no luck.

1. When I run the windows app troubleshooter, it reports that - "Display adapter might be out of date", however I know that it is not, because, when I do the 'Update driver' from device manager, it says that my drivers are up to date.
    2. Network troubleshooter detects no problems.
    3. I have tried creating a new User Account, that does not work either.

Another thing, when I run fiddler, the apps magically start working again. Fiddler, as you know, runs a local proxy, so my guess is that there is an issue with the firewall which is blocking out-bound traffic from apps.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:40 PM