none
how to reset task scheduler

Question

• I am getting "the selected task "{0}" no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh." when opening task scheduler

how can I reset TS to its default state? this is all the folder contains:

Directory of C:\Windows\Tasks

10/08/2009  12:24    <DIR>          .
    10/08/2009  12:24    <DIR>          ..
    10/08/2009  12:24               870 GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1606980848-1343
    024091-1708537768-7522Core.job
    14/07/2009  05:08             8,054 SCHEDLGU.TXT
                   2 File(s)          8,924 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  136,384,753,664 bytes free

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:10 AM

Answers

• Since the issue occurs in Safe Mode, I suspect that a system task is lost or corrupt. If you would like to repair the system, launch the Windows 7 installation program in the current system and run Upgrade to perform In-place Upgrade. After doing so the system will be repaired. Generally your personal data will not be lost. However I still suggest you backup important data before In-place Upgrade. 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:40 AM

All replies

• If you disabled the Disk Defrag Schedule, then go back and enable it.  If that doesn't work, then what does it do in Safe Mode if you load that for a test run?

If it is OK in Safe Mode, see if you can isolate some other cause for the problem.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

If you cannot tie the problem down to another process, see if you can reproduce it while logged in as another user.
    Let's check to make sure the service is set to run automatically. 

• Click the Start orb
    • In the Start Search box, type services and press enter.
    • Scroll down to Task Scheduler, right click it and choose properties. 

Make sure the start up type is set to Automatic

Restart your PC and see if you get the error again.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:14 PM
  • nope - service is running fine and is set to automatic; problem persists under safe mode too

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache differed from C:\Windows\System32\Tasks which is why error will occur until both are in sync by the looks of it

Monday, December 14, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Since the issue occurs in Safe Mode, I suspect that a system task is lost or corrupt. If you would like to repair the system, launch the Windows 7 installation program in the current system and run Upgrade to perform In-place Upgrade. After doing so the system will be repaired. Generally your personal data will not be lost. However I still suggest you backup important data before In-place Upgrade. 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:40 AM
  • I had a clean install of Windows 7 Professional, and encountered this error "The selected task {0} no longer exists" after roughly two (2) weeks. I have tried all the suggestions up to and including an "In-place Upgrade" and the problem is still there. I have no special programs installed and no user defined tasks scheduled. I performed an additional clean install and all was fine for another two (2) weeks and same issue appears. Any thoughts?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Same thing happened to me, 2 seperate re-installs...
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:06 PM