none
Disable Admin account through registry

Question

• I install windows 7 through PXE and afterward load specific apps and due some cleanup. All of this is done unattended. Administrator account is enabled through this process, but during the final scripting I disable it using the net user command. This works fine for nearly all languages, except Russian, and Swedish as the Administrator account is named differently. Is there a way to reg slam disable the account? I don't know where in the registry the admin account resides. I could due this while I'm still logged in as the admin, during the unattend process, just before rebooting. Thanks

Blane

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may add a key on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Right click Winlon Winlogon and click New and click Key.Type SpecialAccounts and press Enter.

In the left panel, right click on SpecialAccounts and click New and click Key.  Type UserList and press Enter.

In right panel of UserList, right click on a empty area and click New then click DWORD (32bit) Value.

Type in the Administrator of the user account. The value of the DWORD, 1 means enable, and 0 just the opposite.

Another way is run "net user administrator /active:no" or "net user administrator /active:yes" commands to disable or enable the Administrator account.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:40 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:39:31 +0000, bkrocker wrote:

>I install windows 7 through PXE and afterward load specific apps and due some cleanup. All of this is done unattended. Administrator account is enabled through this process, but during the final scripting I disable it using the net user command. This works fine for nearly all languages, except Russian, and Swedish as the Administrator account is named differently. Is there a way to reg slam disable the account? I don't know where in the registry the admin account resides. I could due this while I'm still logged in as the admin, during the unattend process, just before rebooting. Thanks

You should be asking this question in a Windows 7 forum.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

You may add a key on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Right click Winlon Winlogon and click New and click Key.Type SpecialAccounts and press Enter.

In the left panel, right click on SpecialAccounts and click New and click Key.  Type UserList and press Enter.

In right panel of UserList, right click on a empty area and click New then click DWORD (32bit) Value.

Type in the Administrator of the user account. The value of the DWORD, 1 means enable, and 0 just the opposite.

Another way is run "net user administrator /active:no" or "net user administrator /active:yes" commands to disable or enable the Administrator account.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:40 AM
  • As I mentioned in my question, I used net command but it doesn't work with Russian, and Swedish, both of which have a different name for Administrator, which has different characters than standard english. So the net command doesn't work. Nor would creating a dword key since again the account is different.

Blane

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:29 AM
  • I am asking this question in the Windows 7 forum??? Windows 7 IT Pro would actually define this to a greater degree. Also, this is your response, to my question? This is something that really bothers me, when someone asks a question, and others put in a response that doesn't help what so ever. If you have nothing to offer in the way of help, but yuor only comment is to look elsewhere, please don't write anything at all.

Blane

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Hi, I found the answer - Microsoft has a fixit - MicrosoftFixIt50519.msi

Running that after I finish the PXE load which requires the administrator account, then resetting will disable the administrator account.

Blane

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:21 PM