none
Nikon coolscan V ED driver for windows vista 64-bit

Question

• Nikon coolscan V ED driver for windows vista 64-bit.

I have installed the latest software from Nikon to work with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. It is version 4.0.3. I have loaded this software on my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop and the scanner driver loaded without a problem. I then tryed to get the Coolscan to work with my Windows Vista 64 bit PC without success. I don't understand why Windows Vista 64 bit has a Programs(x86) section for working with 32-bit software and drivers but the drivers do not work with this OS? How can I get the drivers to work with my 64 bit OS?

Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:07 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi

It seems that Nicon has not released a scanner driver for Windows Vista 64bit.

From the following site, we can see the latest version of Nicon scanner driver is ver. 4.0.3. It is only compatible with Windows Vista 32bit.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14463&p_created=1197431840&p_sid=zMRZGN1j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTIsMTImcF9wcm9kcz0yNSwxMDUmcF9jYXRzPTE4NSZwX3B2PTIuMTA1JnBfY3Y9MS4xODUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can also contact Nicon for more information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:57 AM
  • I have found a solution to this.  Download and install VueScan at www.hamrick.com.  VueScan includes its own set of drivers and I have successfully used them on XP 64 bit and a CoolScan 5000ED.  I also think it is one of the best scanning applications out there.  No bells and whistles but excellent scanning and color management.  Try it.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:36 PM
  • I then tryed to get the Coolscan to work with my Windows Vista 64 bit PC without success. ... How can I get the drivers to work with my 64 bit OS?
    Hi, you won't get NikonScan running on your 64bit system. Nikon officially canceled supporting Vista 64 (as well as Mac OS X 10.5 and later). Best software for your Nikon and Vista 64 is SilverFast: www.silverfast.com/show/scanners-nikon/en.html It does not only run the scanner as a driver, it comes with a whole bunch of nice features for enhancing scan quality.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Well folks,
    I have "solved" a problem for Super Coolscan 5000 ED Nikon driver under Windows 7 x64.
    Actually, I just fooled the system by installing Nikon Scan and driver on Virtual PC :)
    It is not a nice solution, but it acceptable for me. Install Windows XP RC mode for Windows 7 x64 - you can download it from Microsoft site. Search for Virtual PC for Win7 and you will find it. Install it and start the VPC. Install windows updates on VPC.
    After that install Nicon Scan software on this VPC. Turn on the scanner and "attach" it to the VPC - the USB menu in VPC top frame shows a list of available USB devices.
    I solved it 3 days ago and successfully scanned several films already :)
    P.S. if your PC is strong enough - give 1GB of memory to VPC, it will work faster. The default is 512MB, which is not enough for comfortable scan.

Good luck.
    Vadim

Monday, October 12, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Hi, I faced similar problem and I'm glad someone got through.

My challenge though was using Nikon Scan 4.02 with Windows XP Professional x64. I did not find any hints, unlike for Vista x64, on the Internet. I was ready to bother myself with VMWare, but (luckily?) it failed with BSOD in guest OS (Windows XP 32-bit) USB driver.

I hat no choice, so I followed the pattern proposed for Vista:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (like SilverFast or VueScan)
    2. install Nikon Scan 4 without drivers on top
    3. enjoy

Unfortunately Nikon Scan 4 (non of 4.00, 4.02 or 4.03) won't install on Windows XP x64. "Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this operating system" it sais.

The solution is installing Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS and then just copy the software.

So adjusted pattern is:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (e.g. download SilverFast Ai IT8 from http://www.silverfast.com/get_demo/en.html?product=447)
    2. install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS und update to 4.02
    3. copy folders from 32-bit Windows onto your x64
      C:\Program Files\Nikon
      C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon    (it's missing on 32-bit, copy it from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon)
      C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\Nikon
    4. don't forget to ENJOY!!!

I do enjoy now because this incapability of Nikon Scan was the pain in my a... for all these years. You can imagine how happy I am now :-)

Blame on Nikon software engineers who don't care of any solution while they do have 64-bit drivers (SilverFast claims to use standard drivers from Nikon) and the software itself runs on 64-bit just perfect.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:08 PM
  • All one really needs to "install" for any of the Nikon CoolScan scanners (in term of drivers) are the oem9.inf and oem9.PNF files from the VueScan installer package. The scanners defined are:

CoolScan (LS-10)
    CoolScan II (LS-20)
    CoolScan III (LS-30)
    CoolScan IV (LS-40)
    CoolScan V (LS-50)
    CoolScan 1000 (LS-1000)
    CoolScan 2000 (LS-2000)
    CoolScan 4000 (LS-4000)
    CoolScan 5000 (LS-5000)
    CoolScan 8000 (LS-8000)
    CoolScan 9000 (LS-9000)
    AX-110
    AX-210

This has been tested in Windows 7 x64.

Enjoy.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Hi, I faced similar problem and I'm glad someone got through.

My challenge though was using Nikon Scan 4.02 with Windows XP Professional x64 . I did not find any hints, unlike for Vista x64, on the Internet. I was ready to bother myself with VMWare, but (luckily?) it failed with BSOD in guest OS (Windows XP 32-bit) USB driver.

I hat no choice, so I followed the pattern proposed for Vista:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (like SilverFast or VueScan)
    2. install Nikon Scan 4 without drivers on top
    3. enjoy

Unfortunately Nikon Scan 4 (non of 4.00, 4.02 or 4.03) won't install on Windows XP x64. "Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this operating system" it sais.

The solution is installing Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS and then just copy the software.

So adjusted pattern is:

1. install a demo version of an application which incorporates 64-bit drivers for my Nikon Coolscan V ED (e.g. download SilverFast Ai IT8 from http://www.silverfast.com/get_demo/en.html?product=447 )
    2. install Nikon Scan 4 on 32-bit OS und update to 4.02
    3. copy folders from 32-bit Windows onto your x64
      C:\Program Files\Nikon
      C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon     (it's missing on 32-bit, copy it from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nikon)
      C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\Nikon
    4. don't forget to ENJOY!!!

I do enjoy now because this incapability of Nikon Scan was the pain in my a... for all these years. You can imagine how happy I am now :-)

Blame on Nikon software engineers who don't care of any solution while they do have 64-bit drivers (SilverFast claims to use standard drivers from Nikon) and the software itself runs on 64-bit just perfect.

This did the trick for me with a couple of slight changes. 

I had to copy mfc70.dll, msvcr70.dll and msvcp70.dll to the \program files\nikon directory. 

I also had to copy StdFilters2.dll to the \windows\system32 directory.

I also changed the compatibility mode of the Nikon Scan.exe to "windows 2000" - although I'm not sure if this step is necessary.

So far it's working fine under Windows Vista Home Prem - 64 bit.

Thanks for posting this...I like the batch scan mode of the Nikon software and didn't want to have to switch to other alternatives.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Has anyone checked out this option for the Coolscan driver:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html

It looks like someone did Nikon's job for them and created a driver.  Just curious if anyone here tried to get this option to work yet.

Monday, December 21, 2009 6:34 PM
  • The "option" referred to in the inquiry of "far69" and the associated links [2] worked for me:  my Nikon Coolscan IV ED and Nikon Scan 4 are fully functional on my Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Almost without exception [one], the respondents @ photo.net were experiencing similar results with a large cross section of Nikon scanner models/interfaces and there are 28 pages of text relating to the "fix."
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I just manage to install my Coolscan V ED (USB connection) under Windows 7 professional 64 bit. It didn't work with the original proposed scanner.inf file, but the following did the trick:

If you copy the line from
    [Models]
    "Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001
    down to
    [Models.ntamd64]
    "Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001

With this it just works also for the Coolscan V ED.

Have fun!
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:14 AM
  • I am also stuck with the problem of using my Coolscan V on a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit.

I called Nikon and got the canned answer along the lines of ...we understand your frustration, but we are not planning to support Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)...the only solution they suggested that "might" work is plopping down $80 - $300 on software.

I am frustrated, as I feel I plopped down a considerable amount of money 3 years ago, to now either have to pay even more money, or be stuck with a doorstop (or do the workarounds that people have suggested, that make the scanner work, but are not ideal).

However, the only ray of hope was provided by one of the customer service representatives, that said that "if they get enough complaints, they may do something about it".

I am now waiting for a call from Nikon corporate -- maybe if they hear that this is a problem for more than one user they'll do something about it.

You can send your request through the Nikon website, or contact corporate at: (631)-547-4200. Select 0, and explain the problem.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Personally, I am so disgusted with Nikon, a multi-billion dollar company, that will not bother to writed updated drivers for their products - Such as the Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED .. that I will never again buy a Nikon Camera, Nikon lens, or Nikon scanner.. or any product manufactured by Nikon. I will use Minolta or Canon .. Nikon can kiss me goodbye as a customer. The bullshit I have had to go through to get my scanner to work on Vista should never have been allowed by a company that is supposed to be a leader in the industry.

Dennis Hoppe

Frisco, Texas

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:43 AM
  • For those looking for an answer to this issue, I've posted a solution here - http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html

sygnus21

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:34 AM
  • I am new this forum but I am frustrated with the same issue (Nikon Cool Scan V ED) not working on my Win 7 (64 bit) PC. You are making reference to a fix and I would love to try this but where would I find these files you are referring to (are they at Nikon's)? Also, how do I actually copy this "down to"  and where is that located on my C drive?

Yes, I have already sent a posting off to Nikon but doubt this will help. Very frustrating.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 9:33 PM
  • found a solution and I just tried scanning a slide (Nikon Coolscan V ED) and it seemed to work just fine.

Instructions were also real clear. Thanks to this website:

http://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-ls-40-ls-50-ls-5000-scanners-on.html

Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:36 PM
  • This solution got my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED working on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Basically, all you do is install the current/latest Nikon 32-bit drivers and then change the scanners.inf file to make Windows 7 recognise your Nikon scanner. The scanners.inf file is a text file that tells Windows which driver files to load - look at it in Notepad if you're curious.

Here's the link again: http://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-ls-40-ls-50-ls-5000-scanners-on.html

• Proposed as answer by bsch-auenwald Monday, August 23, 2010 4:21 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Sorry.

hit the wrong icon.

But your solution saved my life.

Now I can use my old Nikon Coolscan with my new PC.

Thank's

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Combining the information on several of these posts (to incorporate the info for the Coolscan V) now I have the scanner working on Windows 7 64-bit. Thank you for helping!

You guys should be paid by Nikon for doing them a service. One wonders - they have the information - why didn't they hire a developer and a tester for a few days, update the drivers, and make their clients happy?

I love the Nikon products, but I've extremely disappointed with the customer service, to the point of not wanting to invest in more Nikon products.

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:24 PM
  • This worked for me as well and was easy to follow and easy to do.
    b
    Friday, February 04, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the simple solution. It worked for me. Do you have a way to make Photoshop CS5 see the LS4000?

Thanks again! Joe

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:59 AM