none
identify network In Windows 7

Question

• I have just installed Win7 on a laptop, no other software at all. I set up our wireless home network as part of Windows setup. It now tries to "Identify" the network, and when it can't, it doesn't give internet access. I've seen this problem many times as I drive a Truck and have encountered this all over the country with more than one machine.  How do I shut off this complete of my time in windows? I don't want my computer to identify a network, I have already done that when I chose to connect to it. i am not going to the ineternet for downloads with a computer that can't connect to the internet. I want an answer that tells me how to change a setting or two to stop this nonsense of "Identifying Network". Thank you
    Saturday, June 08, 2013 2:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Most laptop comes with a switch that lets user to turn on and turn off wireless. You can either provide the model details or refer the user manual.

Balaji Kundalam

Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:03 PM
  • I know how to turn on and off the wireless adapter, that isn't the problom. When I click connect, even on a familiar network, Windows can make a career out of "Identifying Network". It may not even connect, I want the "Identify" off. I can make the choice myself if it's a Home, Public or Work network. I do not need or want Windows to do that. If I want to connect on a LAN, I get my CAT 5 cable out and plug in the ethernet adapter. I want Windows to stop trying to "Identify" networks, period. Just like the operating systems before(XP, Win2k, Win98), I don't need my computer doing something I don't want it to do. I use another laptop with Linux on it. That machine just connects when I tell it to, It doesn't try to help me "Identify" anything, I have already done that when I chose to connect. The Windows laptop wants to "Identify". My XP desktop doesn't "Identify" either, it just connects.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Hi trferqy,

Based on my research, you can’t avoid the identification popping out.

You could read following article as a reference:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71785-network-location-enable-disable-change.html

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2012/12/20/the-network-connection-status-icon.aspx

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:13 AM