none
Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets disappeared

Question

• Hello Everyone,

After installing Windows 7, I was able to select and run desktop gadgets on my desktop. After few days, or I should say that after few reboots, the desktop gadgets disappeared. Now, when I right click on the desktop and click on gadgets, nothing comes up. I also tried to open desktop gadgets from start menu, run command, and accessaries, but nothing works.

I did a clean install of Windows 7, did someone else have the same problem? Any solution?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:21 PM

Answers

• When upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 your gadget bar comes over and installs instead of the Windows 7 gadgets. (or sometimes the folder data gets courupted by something so same fix works) So when you install a new gadget ... it doesn't seem to stick! The reason for this is the Gadget bar is taking precedence and the Gadgets you are adding don't go there. To fix this you need to delete your settings in your users app section.

For example if your user name is "Jon" then go to
    C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

Then delete the folder called "Windows Sidebar" (close your gadgets, then cut and past the original elsewhere or rename this to test it if you like)

This will delete your users gadget settings so when you go to use a gadget it will reset the folder and settings.

Friday, January 08, 2010 4:13 PM
  •  Desktop gadgets disappear when you have UAC turned off, turn it back on to its lowest setting and see if they work then!
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Do you have desktop icons hidden?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Zaheer

There definitely appears to be some bugs in the way the Gadgets component is behaving.

Try this:

Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run Dialog Box.

Copy / Paste this line in the Open box.

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /showGadgets

(Make sure this command is entered exactly as shown, including the spaces and characters)

Press OK.

Does this start the Gadget component?

If this does not work, open Control Panel, select All Control Panel Items.
    Click Programs and Features to open.
    In the Tasks Pane (left side) click Turn Windows Features On or Off.

This window will take a couple of minutes to open, be patient.

When this window opens, scroll down and make sure that the Windows Gadget Platform has a check mark. If it is not checked, place a check mark in the box and select OK.

Let us know if one of these solutions works for you.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Same problem for me, gadgets were working fine until one day they disappeared, never to return :(

I tried as suggested (btw, it shouldn't have the space between program and file, ie: "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe" /showGadgets) but all that did was open the gadget addition dialog.

Under control panel the gadget platform is checked. Any other ideas?
    • Proposed as answer by ktbaron513 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ktbaron513 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:21 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Do you have desktop icons hidden?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:04 AM
  •  Desktop gadgets disappear when you have UAC turned off, turn it back on to its lowest setting and see if they work then!
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Hi Urmmm

I tested this and you are correct.

The Gadgets do disappear when you turn UAC completely off?

Akame-san

You are also correct, the Gadgets also disappear if Show Desktop Items is disabled.

Thank you both for the information.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Show Desktop Items was the culprit, thanks all!
    • Proposed as answer by ikyouCrow Friday, January 16, 2009 12:17 PM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:56 AM
  • the gadgets are not displayed only when you have 'Show Desktop Items' disabled. the gadgets will work with secure desktop disabled as long as desktop items are visible.

i for one disable desktop icons and put the desktop folder on the taskbar because i have many desktop items. it's cleaner this way.

please mark as bug; the behaviour suggests that gadgets are classed with desktop icons.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:11 PM
  • Hey all,

I terned on the user account control, and the desktop gadgets are back! Thank you for the help. Glad to see the weather gadget, it's 0ºf in Columbus, Ohio!

• Proposed as answer by nev_9904dev Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Yep it was the UAC that had me Thanks all
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:59 AM
  • When I completely tern off User Acount Control, I loose my desktop gadgets. Is there any way to tern off the UAC, and keep the desktop gadgets on my desktop? I havent reported this issue as a bug, should I report it, or it is just a security issue?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Thanks u man i also have same problem
    thanks that have been Resolved

Adeel Ansari M.M.G. The Mastermind Group. @ 2009 adeelmmg.spaces.live.com
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Hey... Enabling User Acount Control brought back my desktop gadgets... Thank you...
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:57 PM
  • If you want to leave UAC off and still have gadgets, do this.

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
    3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess
    4. Set the value of the new DWORD to 1
    5. Close the registry editor.  Your gadgets should work now.  No reboot or anything necessary

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:53 PM
  • zonzin said:

If you want to leave UAC off and still have gadgets, do this.

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
    3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess
    4. Set the value of the new DWORD to 1
    5. Close the registry editor.  Your gadgets should work now.  No reboot or anything necessary

And see who will hack your system first :)

This will open serious security hole!

UAC must be always ON!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:56 PM
  • The run command wouldn't work for me ,it said misstyped, reset uac and rebooted,Inow have my gadgets back!
    Thanks
    Larry
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Ronnie,

I beg to differ.  The correct environment variable is %ProgramFiles%.
    C:\>set prog  
    ProgramData=C:\ProgramData  
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files  
    ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)  

C:\> 
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Hi bnborg and Craigomatic

You're both correct, my bad.

Post edited to remove mis-information.

Regards,

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:21 AM
  •  Thanks - that worked!!
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Thanks for the warning/reminder! I used the registry edit suggested by Larry, and it worked...my Gadgets came back! But I wondered if that might open up a security breach. Guess I'll go ahead and re-enable the UAC. Doesn't bother me much at its lowest setting anyway...

THANKS to everyone for the input on missing Gadgets. I really wanted them back, and UAC was the culprit!
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Can anyone help me? I have Windows 7 on an HP G60-125nr laptop. My gadgets worked the first few days I had Windows 7 installed. I tried checking the Windows Features under Control Panel to make sure Gadgets were turned on and they were. I tried the registry change, they still don't come on. I tried the run command and they still didn't come on. I tried making sure UAC was turned on and they still don't come up. I right click on the desktop and click "Gadgets", and it doesn't even come up with the window to let me see the gadgets installed. I tried system restore. I tried reformatting. Nothing seems to work. I've tried everything listed so far and nothing seems to be working.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Can anyone help me? I have Windows 7 on an HP G60-125nr laptop. My gadgets worked the first few days I had Windows 7 installed. I tried checking the Windows Features under Control Panel to make sure Gadgets were turned on and they were. I tried the registry change, they still don't come on. I tried the run command and they still didn't come on. I tried making sure UAC was turned on and they still don't come up. I right click on the desktop and click "Gadgets", and it doesn't even come up with the window to let me see the gadgets installed. I tried system restore. I tried reformatting. Nothing seems to work. I've tried everything listed so far and nothing seems to be working.

Hi

You are not reading carefully!

You need to right click on desktop and then to marck show desktop items if you want to see gadgets.

If you want read and my w7 bugs list here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/ee88ae8d-27d4-42b6-96d3-b68eedfcac64

Your problem is bug 12 in this list
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:01 PM

Hi

You need to right click on desktop and then to marck show desktop items if you want to see gadgets.

If you want read and my w7 bugs list here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/ee88ae8d-27d4-42b6-96d3-b68eedfcac64

First off I didn't need to do that because mine was already set to show desktop items. Secondly, it ended up being the UAC problem, just with mine it made me restart before it would show up. Please word your responses a little more respectfully next time. Adding an exclamation point at the end of your sentence it generally taken to mean you are being rude and yelling at someone pretty much. You should have simply asked if I had or not before just rushing to assume I hadn't
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:37 PM

Hi

First off I didn't need to do that because mine was already set to show desktop items. Secondly, it ended up being the UAC problem, just with mine it made me restart before it would show up. Please word your responses a little more respectfully next time. Adding an exclamation point at the end of your sentence it generally taken to mean you are being rude and yelling at someone pretty much. You should have simply asked if I had or not before just rushing to assume I hadn't

Read your previous post!

You have listed all things you have tried and show desktop items is not between them!
    Are you still wondering why there are exclamation marks?!

If there someone is rude, that is you, because you did not apreciate my time and good will to help you!!!

Do you know there is some phrase as thank you?!

When someone waste time to answer my question, I always thank him, no matter how useful replay is to me!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Gadgets will not display is a simple repair. Forget all the technical stuff and leave the registry alone unless you are an expert.
    Insert the installation disc and restart .
    Click any key when boot from DVD is offered.
    Choose repair and your problem is solved.
    It will automatically restart and the gadgets are restored. Simple!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:06 AM
  • The Gadgets Control Gallery showed up OK.   It was still empty  The Gadgets Platform has a check mark.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Ok, I chose repair. It shows various items, but which category do you use?   My gadgets are still not showing up.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 5:29 PM

• When upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 your gadget bar comes over and installs instead of the Windows 7 gadgets. (or sometimes the folder data gets courupted by something so same fix works) So when you install a new gadget ... it doesn't seem to stick! The reason for this is the Gadget bar is taking precedence and the Gadgets you are adding don't go there. To fix this you need to delete your settings in your users app section.

Then delete the folder called "Windows Sidebar" (close your gadgets, then cut and past the original elsewhere or rename this to test it if you like)

This will delete your users gadget settings so when you go to use a gadget it will reset the folder and settings.

Friday, January 08, 2010 4:13 PM

Hi

Read your previous post!

You have listed all things you have tried and show desktop items is not between them!

If there someone is rude, that is you, because you did not apreciate my time and good will to help you!!!

When someone waste time to answer my question, I always thank him, no matter how useful replay is to me!

As a third party observer.. you are the one coming across as disrespectful
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:38 PM

This worked for me.. I couldn't figure out why the gadgets window wouldn't show. Thank you very much!
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I have run the code mentioned in the first few comments in the run box. Gadgets didn't re-appear. Ensured that I had not selected Hide Desktop Icons.
    Gadgets didn't re-appear. I hadn't turned off the UAC, but changed the settings anyway (I tried each setting). Gadgets didn't re-appear.

Whenever I right click the desktop and select Gadgets, nothing happens. The only two gadgets that didnt disappear are a clock and weather gadget.

Once again Windows fails. Any suggestions?
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:02 PM
  • I have run the code mentioned in the first few comments in the run box. Gadgets didn't re-appear. Ensured that I had not selected Hide Desktop Icons.
    Gadgets didn't re-appear. I hadn't turned off the UAC, but changed the settings anyway (I tried each setting). Gadgets didn't re-appear.

Whenever I right click the desktop and select Gadgets, nothing happens. The only two gadgets that didnt disappear are a clock and weather gadget.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:03 PM

Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I had the same problem on a 5 day old install of Win 7 Pro 64. SOME gadgets appeared, some did not. I right clicked the open desktop and selected View/Show Desktop Items. It was CHECKED. I UNchecked it. The gadgets that were there disappeared. I went right back and checked it again and all the gadgets returned. Interstingly, the gadget selection panel would not come up when some of the gadgets were not visable. As soon as installed gadgets were visable again, the gadget selection panel came back as well. Interesting....
    • Proposed as answer by Sergey Kraev Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:56 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem as mikeb0220 on a two-week-old installation, with the same odd gadget selection panel behavior, and toggling the Show Desktop Gadgets check mark solved the issue.  This post is two days after his... perhaps a Windows Update is to blame?  I'll be a little upset if this turns out to be a recurring problem. 
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi doublestrung

I haven't seen any common cause for this particular issue?

If you feel that a Windows Update was responsible, you can always test this by removing the update.

Any update that changes System Settings will create a System Restore Point just prior to installing the update. You can use this restore point to uninstall the update.

You can also selectively uninstall Windows Updates in Control Panel.

Open Control Panel and select one of the Icon views.

Open Programs and Features.

On the left side menu, select View Installed Updates.

Select the update you wish to uninstall and click the Uninstall/Change button.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:50 PM
  • I had the same problem - of 2 selected gadgets, one stopped showing, and selecting Gadgets after right clicking on the desktop  - nothing happened.  Both gadgets showed initially, and I did not notice when the one gadget disappeared, however it was after updating SoundBlaster software.  After typing gadgets in the start-search box and clicking some offers - still nothing happened.  I had not played with the default UAC and right-click on desktop/View showed gadgets and icons were displayed, so I think I unchecked only Gadgets.  Then repeated right-click/view and checked Gadgets - all was well again.

I cannot recall details, but have experienced this type of behavior in the past with previous OS/APIs, where even though something is indicated as true when it is false, un-checking then re-checking is the resolution.

I am new to Windows 7, having purchased an HP G62 6 days ago, and appreciate this forum, as I have visited a few times already, learning about quirks with HomeGroup and shared printers for example.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Did you change the 'Default Program Path' like I did for convenience?

I changed mine to 'D:\Program Files' and (stupid) Windows 7 couldn't find the path to sidebar directory...blah~blah~blah

So refer to this article

Program Files Directory - Change Default for Installs

and make sure the Default Program Path is set to 'C:\Program Files' or else Windows 7 wouldn't be able to find its ways around.

Hope it helps!

Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Hey If You Tried All Those Answers and all didnt work and you didnt change UAC then open games then tools then programmes and features then turn windws features on - off then uncheck the windows gadgets platform then the windows will shut down then open it again you should not see any gadgets then check the windows gadgets platform again and you will see all the normal winows gadgets again and you will be able to edit them by the gadgets button when you right click on the desktop

Idea by - William

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I had the same problem - of 2 selected gadgets, one stopped showing, and selecting Gadgets after right clicking on the desktop  - nothing happened.  Both gadgets showed initially, and I did not notice when the one gadget disappeared, however it was after updating SoundBlaster software.  After typing gadgets in the start-search box and clicking some offers - still nothing happened.  I had not played with the default UAC and right-click on desktop/View showed gadgets and icons were displayed, so I think I unchecked only Gadgets.  Then repeated right-click/view and checked Gadgets - all was well again.

I cannot recall details, but have experienced this type of behavior in the past with previous OS/APIs, where even though something is indicated as true when it is false, un-checking then re-checking is the resolution.

I am new to Windows 7, having purchased an HP G62 6 days ago, and appreciate this forum, as I have visited a few times already, learning about quirks with HomeGroup and shared printers for example.

First go to games in the start menu

Then click on tools then choose programmes and features

Then click on turn windows Features on/off

Wait it to load and be patient then uncheck Window gadgets platform

The Window will ask you to shut down now or later

Choose to shut down now

Then after shutting down you will not see any gadgets anymore and the gadgets in right clicking will disappear if this happened

Then you did what i said well

Then go to turn windows features on/off again and check Winows gadgets platform after that you dont need to shutdown it and the gadgets will show up

and all will work very great that is what happened with me :) Give it a shot

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I had the same problem - of 2 selected gadgets, one stopped showing, and selecting Gadgets after right clicking on the desktop  - nothing happened.

i tried all method which was suggested in this forum all...and nothhing please help...i need a windows reinstall?:(
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I was having similar symptoms; half of my gadgets were visible, but half were not.  I also could not launch the Gadgets Gallery.  Found that stopping the Sidebar.exe process and then relaunching by Right-click on desktop > Select Gadgets fixed the problem.   The Gallery opened and all my gadgets appeared.  Seems sidebar.exe got wonked on restart.

• Proposed as answer by fayejaz Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:17 PM
  • I had the same problem on a 5 day old install of Win 7 Pro 64. SOME gadgets appeared, some did not. I right clicked the open desktop and selected View/Show Desktop Items. It was CHECKED. I UNchecked it. The gadgets that were there disappeared. I went right back and checked it again and all the gadgets returned. Interstingly, the gadget selection panel would not come up when some of the gadgets were not visable. As soon as installed gadgets were visable again, the gadget selection panel came back as well. Interesting....

I had this same type of problem.  My clock gadget didn't appear one morning after booting, but 3 other gadgets did. I thought it had to be restored, but when I right-clicked on the desktop, and selected 'gadgets' at the bottom of the menu, nothing happened. 

After reading Brad w7's post on May 1, I tried right-clicking the desktop & expanding 'view'.  Both the 'show desktop icons' and 'show desktop gadgets' entries were checked.  I left-clicked on 'show desktop gadgets' to uncheck it.  All of the gadgets disappeared.  Then I repeated this action, left-clicking on 'show desktop gadgets' to check it once again.  All of the gadgets reappeared, including the missing clock.  In addition, I could now open the gadgets window (right-click on desktop, left-click on 'gadgets' at the bottom of the menu). 

My install is over 4 months old, and the only change from the previous day was the daily virus definition update (Avast), so I don't know what caused this to happen.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Thank you so much!!!!!! It worked.

The gadget feature was already on and ticked so I got rid of the tick and had to restart my computer then ticked it again and now it works!!

Thank you!!!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:44 AM
  • My gadgets stopped working after a few times restarting my laptop. I tried to use the winkey fix and it didn't start the gadget component. Then I attempted to use the windows feature fix and the gadget platform doesn't show up in the list. Any other suggestions?

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:24 AM
  • I had this same type of problem.  My clock gadget didn't appear one morning after booting, but 3 other gadgets did. I thought it had to be restored, but when I right-clicked on the desktop, and selected 'gadgets' at the bottom of the menu, nothing happened. 

After reading Brad w7's post on May 1, I tried right-clicking the desktop & expanding 'view'.  Both the 'show desktop icons' and 'show desktop gadgets' entries were checked.  I left-clicked on 'show desktop gadgets' to uncheck it.  All of the gadgets disappeared.  Then I repeated this action, left-clicking on 'show desktop gadgets' to check it once again.  All of the gadgets reappeared, including the missing clock.  In addition, I could now open the gadgets window (right-click on desktop, left-click on 'gadgets' at the bottom of the menu). 

That solution worked for me as well.  I had just run Windows Update (1 critical) and my clock disappeared.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Gadgets will not display is a simple repair. Forget all the technical stuff and leave the registry alone unless you are an expert.
    Insert the installation disc and restart .
    Click any key when boot from DVD is offered.
    Choose repair and your problem is solved.
    It will automatically restart and the gadgets are restored. Simple!

People who don't know the registry shouldn't call out people who do.  It isn't a witch hunt.  Registry work is not witchcraft.  It is Microsoft Approved.

Helpful nice guy
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi Kevin: Yes, I tried your instructions above. Did a repair. Restarted Windows 7. Right clicked on the Desk top. Clicked on Gadgets and none were shown in the Gadgets Panel.  Any one else have any ideas?
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:09 AM
  • I am having the same problem with my gadgets, I have looked to make sure desktop icons is checked, gadgets is checked, that nothing has been changed in the registry, and that UAC is turned on.  Everything is in line there.  My gadgets where working just fine yesterday, and today when I booted up my laptop (Dell Studio 1735 Windows 7 Pro) all my gadgets just had a X in them and wouldnt load up.  I have even run the repair with the Windows 7 install disk, and it says that there are no problems that can be found.  It is sad that noone really knows how to fix the problem, just because something worked for one person, doesnt mean it will work for everyone.  Please any other suggestions would be wonderful.  Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:10 PM
  • hi i am sorrry that i cant find the sidebar/setting but only sidebar/compactability i also have exact same problem what to do?i have already tried controll pannel, show desk top item uac what to do please help me...................
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:19 PM
  • I got the same problem from last few days, i did one thing that work for me very well, just a little bit work.

Just creat a new login where the gadgets did work well, so i delete that account which was not showning gadgets well at all, the account work well for me. Very very easy no command needed for this perpose. Enjoy using windows7 gadgets, be happy always. This will work 100% for me and i believe that it will work you all too.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:40 PM

Hi

Read your previous post!

As a third party observer.. you are the one coming across as disrespectful

As ANOTHER party observer, I totally agree with Ventsislav, he was helping, and assuming that an exclamation is something negative is just being way too susceptible. The fact is that Muhawka described the same problem that the whole post had, he ignored all posts, and eventually the answer was already in one of them, so indeed, he was not reading carefully, or most probably, he was not reading at all.

If only Muhawka had started with a "thank you" the whole thing might have been a bit different. But that's another story, Muhawka did not appreciate the time Ventsislav spent on him.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:12 AM
  • I'm having a problem getting the gadgets THEMSELVES to work. I can see them on my screen but working parts of the display wont show up. I get them up on my desktop and I see blank gadgets. Does anybody know whats going on?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

After installing Windows 7, I was able to select and run desktop gadgets on my desktop. After few days, or I should say that after few reboots, the desktop gadgets disappeared. Now, when I right click on the desktop and click on gadgets, nothing comes up. I also tried to open desktop gadgets from start menu, run command, and accessaries, but nothing works.

I did a clean install of Windows 7, did someone else have the same problem? Any solution?

i have a similar problem, my gadgets were perfectly working well and wen i on the computer they appeared as black boxess and with a red cross........... i downloaded new gadgets and try them too but they ddnt work....... :( what should i do to get them back?? whats UAC???
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:14 AM

I was having a unique problem with the gadgets, they would install but every time I rebooted or resumed from hibernation, they would disappear. This solution worked for me. Thanks to AZequalizer for this solution.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I discovered that adding sidebar.exe to my Startup folder solved the problem.  Maybe it will work for your problem too.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Thanks a Lot For your advice......
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:25 PM
  • It's MALWARE

When I logged onto my new HP Pavilion this morning, all of my gadgets had disappeared. This was doubly confusing since, when my wife logged onto the same computer, using her own user profile, all of her gadgets were still in place.

I spent an hour chatting online with one HP technician, and he could not figure out the problem. His advice was to do a System Restore, which was not possible since my notebook is brand new and there were no restore points.

The second technician spent another half hour with me. His advice was to do a "scannow" as Administrator, then do a Startup Repair.  This did not work.

Then I scanned my notebook with a piece of software I had used before (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware). This worked like a charm. It turns out that there was some malware on my notebook and, once I had removed these nasty, annoying files with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software and restarted my notebok, I was able to reinstall all of my gadgets.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:56 PM
  • It's MALWARE

When I logged onto my new HP Pavilion this morning, all of my gadgets had disappeared. This was doubly confusing since, when my wife logged onto the same computer, using her own user profile, all of her gadgets were still in place.

I spent an hour chatting online with one HP technician, and he could not figure out the problem. His advice was to do a System Restore, which was not possible since my notebook is brand new and there were no restore points.

The second technician spent another half hour with me. His advice was to do a "scannow" as Administrator, then do a Startup Repair.  This did not work.

Then I scanned my notebook with a piece of software I had used before (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware). This worked like a charm. It turns out that there was some malware on my notebook and, once I had removed these nasty, annoying files with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software and restarted my notebok, I was able to reinstall all of my gadgets.

Yes this solves my problem! I am using windows 7 pro and one day the gadgets were all gone. I downloaded the anti malware software and did a full scan. It found 4 malwares in my notebook and removed them. After restart, the gadgets re- appear. Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:49 PM
  • this solution didnt even work for me :S
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:27 PM
  • where do  ii find this 'show destop items'
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Something so frustrating, and such a simple solution!  Thanks

Faye Jasman
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Hi, I logged on to my laptop yesterday morning and I noticed that all my gadgets have gone completely. I have tried everything that have been suggested from earlier posts and still nothing. I also tried a system restore, re-starting my laptop and doing a system scan for viruses, which brought up nothing. I really don't know what else to do as it's really starting to frustrate me as I don't know if it's to do with what I've done or something else
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Thanks!  This solved it for me.  After right click I deselected "show gadgets" and then reselected "show gadgets" and lo and behold, the Big Ben was back!  The weird thing is that before tried this, when I right clicked and selected "gadgets", nothing would happen AND the gadgets seemed to have disappeared even from my control panel. Anyway, thank for your good solution! --Music-man
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:05 PM
  • What is UAC?  I've tried everything else.  I love my gadgets, been using them for two years and they just disappeared today.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:25 AM
  • What do you mean you turned on user account control?  I see no option to turn it on or off, only to set parental controls.  I want my gadgets back.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:29 AM
  • How do you do it?  I can't find any on or off switch for User Account Control. I haven't made any changes, the gadgets just stopped working.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:33 AM
  • Sorry for being stupid, but what is UAC?

Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Never mind.  I figured it out thanks to another person who typed it out.  I had two Administrator accounts on my computer.  Deleted the extraneous one, and my gadgets came back.  Thank you to all who posted.  It helped me.
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:19 AM
  • hi

This worked when I removed the setting - restarted W7. Then - check marked the setting again - this did not require a restart. Then my Sidebar and Gadgets came back.  Task manager had shown my sidebar.exe running but gadgets would not run.

WORKS  Now :)

Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:10 PM
  • What is UAC and where is it.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Just uninstall the newly internet explorer 11 update and all your gadgets will back to normal
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:50 AM
  • My gadgets sometimes don't appear after installing the Internet Explorer 11 update.

The sidebar.exe is running but the gadgets are hidden. All I can do is right click on desktop View->Show desktop Gadgets to uncheck and View->Show Desktop Gadgets again to Re-check. Then they appear.

This needs a to be fixed by Microsoft!

Monday, December 02, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Not only does IE11 mess up your gadgets, but it also seems to have serious problems with halting frequently while streaming video.
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Wow, thank you for this suggestion! I had found my clock, anti virus and weather gadget missing and had wasted a lot of time trying to find out why! Went in, deleted the Internet Explorer 11 update, and restarted.  ALL GADGETS WERE BACK!

Thank you so much!

Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:30 PM
  • After scrolling down the multiple and various answers and trying everything suggested I got down to the suggestion of removing the IE 11 upgrade. This worked and I thought I should share this for the sake of all those with this problem
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Dumb question: How do I delete the IE11 upgrade (latest?)

My Weather gadget disappeared own my and my wife's machine - both W7/64

At my wife's machine, I was able to open gadgets, the added the weather one, had to reenter local zip code :-)

Mine, also an HP, W7/64 the "Desktop gadget Gallery" refuses to open...so I cannot restablish my Weather gadget...

Any help is welcomed!

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:49 PM
  • I was having similar symptoms; half of my gadgets were visible, but half were not.  I also could not launch the Gadgets Gallery.  Found that stopping the Sidebar.exe process and then relaunching by Right-click on desktop > Select Gadgets fixed the problem.   The Gallery opened and all my gadgets appeared.  Seems sidebar.exe got wonked on restart.

My problem: After a recent "restart," my gadgets were not appearing. None of them.

Nothing listed within this forum and others solved the issue until I came across this post. The problem for me, and very possibly others, is that there were multiple instances of "sidebar.exe" running, apparently causing a program conflict. After following the third sentence of this post everything went back to normal.

This was a palm-to-forehead moment; I can't believe I didn't check the active process list. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your solution.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:30 AM
  • The above fix (deleting the "Windows Sidebar" folder) works but can be tricky to do. First, you must open the File Explorer and hit Alt-T to access the "Folder Options" under the Tools drop-down. On the "View" tab, uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" or else you won't see the aforementioned path.

Then, you still may not be able to delete the "Windows Sidebar" folder because Windows may claim it is "In use". If that's the case, try rebooting in Safe Mode.

Be sure to re-check the "Hide Protected..." option when done. (Note to advanced users: this process is MUCH simpler if you just boot into another OS like Linux to find & delete the folder w/o the rigamarole.)

Deleting the "Windows Sidebar" folder was the only fix for me that worked when something corrupted my Desktop settings. But note, you will have to reconfigure all your gadgets after doing this.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:54 PM
  • Did not work for me. Still no gadgets.

Another solution?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:14 PM
  • I am by no means an IT person, but I too had disappearing "gadgets". What worked for me was to just right click on the blank area of your screen and you will see "Catalyst Control". Then I went to "View". Even though "gadgets" were clicked on with a check mark beside it, I clicked it off and then clicked it back on again. Then my "gadgets" showed up on the screen. Hope this helps.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Deleting the "Windows Sidebar" folder worked for me.  Actually I hid mine in a new folder within the "Microsoft" folder to be able to easily restore it if this didn't work.  I was not able to do anything with the Windows Sidebar folder or the settings file within because they were "In Use" but I was able to move the "Gadgets" folder to my unique folder to hide it.  When I rebooted all the gadgets worked.  The system had created a new "Gadgets" folder and I deleted my new folder with the old Gadgets folder.  Thanks so much for the help - I love my gadgets!
    Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:21 PM
  • I'm having a problem getting the gadgets THEMSELVES to work. I can see them on my screen but working parts of the display wont show up. I get them up on my desktop and I see blank gadgets. Does anybody know whats going on?

This appears to be something to do with an (unpatched) bug in IE11, but it only occurs when your DPI setting is NOT set to 100%. It became apparent on my laptop because Weather Gadget stopped showing the background image properly after IE11 was installed via Automatic Updates... (The DPI setting needed is located by Right Clicking your Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Make text and other items larger or smaller -> 100%) It only seems to happen on some computers because not all computers have the DPI setting set somewhere other than 100%... (I'd encourage those experiencing this issue where this fix works to contact Microsoft and request they fix this bug... It's been around too long to remain unpatched! <-Yelling at Microsoft.) There are lots of posts (some with other solutions that I never tried) on this forum & others out there about this bug these days, but it is an elusive fix, if you don't know where to look...

Thanks to all who preceded me and figured out the many workarounds that have been discovered! <- Not a disrespectful or yelling exclamation mark, just one used for emphasis. :)

Saturday, March 08, 2014 6:59 AM
  • After some general admin/updates on my pc today, my desktop gadgets also disappeared for the first time but rather than get involved in UAC, I right clicked on desktop > view > show desktop gadgets was (still) clicked so I unclicked and then reclicked and et voila, my gadgets reappeared. (Time taken: 5 seconds)
    Friday, March 14, 2014 11:51 AM
  • http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gadgets
    • Proposed as answer by DAfshar Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:55 AM
  • For me the following was enough:

1. Right-click on the desktop

2. View >> Show desktop gadgets (to unselect)

3. View >> Show desktop gadgets (to select)

The gadgets are back!

Friday, March 28, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Thanks for this hint, I turned off view desktop gadgets, deleted the directory on the machine that was playing up, turned on gadgets again and they all worked again.

Right click on desktop, view unticked the "show desktop gadgets" to be able to delete the directory, and then turned it on the same way..

You are a champ, my housemate was nearly ready to throw his computer away as he uses all kinds of gadgets.

..eddie

Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Ronnie, this did not work for me.   Gadget Platform was already checked.

Gadgets first disappeared after I installed the latest Windows update.

- Mark Z.

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:06 PM
  • I had this same problem as well. I use the clock gadget to find what time it is in Antartica just for fun.

One evening, I switched my machine off, saw the Antartica clock still ticking, went home happily, and when I came in the morning, lo, no clock.

This freaked me out because recently, I have lost many items from my desktop and I thought the cleaner moved it.

When she denied it, I sneakily checked all the office employees' desktops, and there it was, I saw one on another guy's computer, but it was on GMT, so it couldn't be mine.

I have enough computer knowledge to know that nobody can take it home to their PC, because I am on a network.

But then our resident computer expert investigated this case, changed the UAC settings to medium, and restarted my system, and my beloved clock appeared promptly on my desktop.

What a relief to know that I am not working among thieves!

18 hours 13 minutes ago