none
Windows 7 won't recognize USB mass-storage devices

Question

• Hello, I have a problem with Windows 7 Build 7100. I am running a Fujitsu Amilo Li 1818 laptop. The installation went fine, I had to download a driver for the WLAN card, but everything else works perfectly.

However, when I connect a USB thumb drive, or an external USB HD, I can't access it. Windows 7 recognises the device, installs a driver, and the device is visible in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. It doesn't show up in Computer > Devices with Removable Storage. In Device Manager, the USB HD shows up under Disk drives and it says "The device is working properly" and the driver is up to date. However, when the USB HD is connected, it also creates an "Unknown device" entry under other devices in the Device Manager. This part says "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28), and clicking on Update Driver doesn't work ("Windows was unable to install your Unknown Device").

I have installed the Vista chipset drivers from the Fujitsu website. Any ideas how I can fix this? Why does Device Manager recognise the USB HD but also create an "Unknown Device" entry?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:45 PM

Answers

• I've got it fixed now, after reading this: http://forum.freecompromo.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

The solution:

step 1!
    Go into C:\ and create a folder called usbdriver

step 2!
    Go into C:\WINDOWS\INF and copy the whole contents

step 3!
    COPY ALL THAT INTO C:\usbdriver

step 4!
    THEN when your asked to look for the driver! and vista cannot find it POINT IT TO THAT FOLDER C:\USBDRIVER and click ok.

Looks like it was a bug from Vista. Thanks Nano Warp and NooNoo for your suggestions
    • Marked as answer by EdamAnchorman Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Edited by EdamAnchorman Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:09 PM added solution
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi, do either devices show up in disk management with a drive letter assigned?  If not, right click on the drive "picture" and choose assign drive letter and follow the wizard.

Where you connecting the thumb drive and the hard drive at the same time?  Did the hard drive have an external power supply?
    Never ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly".
    My hangouts Format and Reload or Windrivers
    Friday, July 10, 2009 4:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for responding. In the Disk Management screen, if I connect either device it shows up in the bottom of the screen, but not at the top. It says "Online" next to the drive at the bottom, when I right-click and select Change Drive letter and Paths... I get the error message:

The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

I've tried refreshing and restarting, but it has no effect. The situation is the same whether both devices are connected at the same time, or separately. i have also tried them in every USB slot. The HD has an external power supply.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Further info: when I click on either device in Disk Management and go to Properties, it says "This device is working properly". Under the Driver tab:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 21/06/2006
    Driver Version: 6.1.71000
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Sounds like the are not completing the installation.

Try the same exercise again only boot to safe mode this time.
    Never ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly".
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Tried it in safe mode - same result. Both devices work on my PC, also running Windows 7. I connected a USB mouse to the laptop, and got the same result - it is recognised in Device Manager, although it also creates an "Unknown Device" entry, and it doesn't work, although the light underneath the mouse comes on and the driver is installed.

Any ideas?
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Did the external HDD connect properly in Vista? Is there an additional port on the external enclosure? What make and model is it?

The external device interface with the HDD is not being identified correctly. Check the device manufacturers support for compatibility with Vista and any drivers for Vista that may be available. Try those.

You may also want to send a note to their support and ask if they will provide Win 7 support for the device.

The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Both the external HD and USB pen drive work fine on every other computer I've tried them on, running, XP, Vista and Windows 7. There is no additional port on the HD. It is a Freecom 400GB HD, model code PSOAAA.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I've got it fixed now, after reading this: http://forum.freecompromo.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

The solution:

step 1!

step 2!

step 3!

step 4!
    THEN when your asked to look for the driver! and vista cannot find it POINT IT TO THAT FOLDER C:\USBDRIVER and click ok.

Looks like it was a bug from Vista. Thanks Nano Warp and NooNoo for your suggestions
    • Marked as answer by EdamAnchorman Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Edited by EdamAnchorman Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:09 PM added solution
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:06 PM
  • The solution might point to a permissions problem then.  Interesting.  Glad you got it to work though.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:04 PM
    Answerer
  • where i can't find drivers for the wlan card for windows 7?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Please start your own thread Mixalakis and state your problem throughly. We have no idea what wlan card or machine you have so we're unable to to even guess at it. Your problem doesn't relate to the original posters problem.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:27 AM
  • I just tried EdamAnchorman's  solution. Failed in an interesting way.

Note that this is not   an issue for the  manufacturer. The device is a generic USB mass storage device  and is supposed to use the generic driver.  Anyway, I have the same problem with devices from two other manufacturers.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Hi isaac32767,
    If you remove the software from the sandisk cruzer it will show as a generic storage device. The disk drive message is a result of the included software.

Instructions for removal and reinstallation are available at sandisk support.

If you like the software, set the autoplay properties to allow it to run.

Are the other devices flash drives or usb HDD enclosures?

• Proposed as answer by 321321321 Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:20 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:55 AM
  • PLEASE HELP I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN WINDOWS 7 64 BITS

when I connect a USB thumb drive, or an external USB HD, I can't access it. Windows 7 recognises the device, installs a driver, and the device is visible in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. It doesn't show up in Computer > Devices with Removable Storage. In Device Manager, the USB HD shows up under Disk drives and it says "The device is working properly" and the driver is up to date.

I AM DESPERATE WHAT SHOULD I DO? IN THE DISK MANAGEMENT IT DOES NOT APPEAR ALSO.

• Proposed as answer by sharkAlex Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:20 PM
  • I am facing same problem i have tried even to ROLLBACK/UNINSTALL the driver but still this doesn't work...
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi all,

I had the same issue 2 weeks ago.

Impossible to recover the USB mass Storage (USB key, USB disk). I tried to install again USB driver, USB mass storage USB, ... nothing works

Issue occured with a lot of different USB storage.

I have windows 7 64 bits on a lenovo W510.

Any idea?

"a driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionnality. (Code 32)."

• Proposed as answer by jheinrichs79 Friday, April 08, 2011 8:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jheinrichs79 Friday, April 08, 2011 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:45 AM

The solution:

step 1!

step 2!

step 3!

step 4!

Brilliant response!!
    Have spent a long time trying to work out why new USB devices were not recognised.

Not sure if this is a fix or a workaround, but either way, a great solution!! Good work!

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:12 AM
  • It could be that you have a local drive mapped to the same letter as a network drive - that was my problem...

This may be useful:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/find-your-missing-usb-drive-on-windows-xp/

Simman

• Edited by Simman Monday, October 17, 2011 9:44 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I am having the same issue with more than one USB device.  I tried copying the drivers to a separate directory, as suggested, and it CHANGED the error.  Now it says "windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error attempting to install it.  USB Composite Device.  -  The system cannot find the file specified"

Any other ideas?  This is getting ridiculous.  P.S. I am also unable to install windows updates after trying several things. 

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue. No USB devies working and windows update dead. Also CPU running at 50% CPU constantly.

Have recent Windows Updates created this issue???

Windows 7 64Bit

Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I recently started up a newly purchased laptop with Win 7.

I have few different USB sticks, some works, some don't on Win 7, Win XP no problem what so ever, (I just updated to SP1 and trully pity and a shame MS didn't address this issue!).

Anyhow, here's the solution: (at least one and hopefully it will help all)

* Right click on "Computer" & choose "Manage" and a new window pops up (Maybe you need to be logged in as an admin)

* Click on Disk Management and go to the device you can't access normally through "Computer"

* Right click on the storage device in question, choose "Change drive letter and paths..."

* choose an unoccupied drive letter and you are done, the usb device should now appear under "Computer".

After I did this and unplugged safely, and plugged in again, Win 7 learned this and will automatically list your USB stick.

• Proposed as answer by ThirdEyeMD Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ThirdEyeMD Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:02 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 6:24 AM
  • My solution is to everytime windows has updates, make a sytem resore point.

My reasoning is that after I updated my system, my usb devices no longer worked because my computer's plaug and play functions were messed up, AFTER updating.

My solution is to find an earlier restore point and restore to it, my usb ports are now fully working because i restored my sytem to an earlier date

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Hope this fits the thread, if not, please excuse me.

Been working on this for 2 days, blaming an update to Win7, and Canon's software,  Here goes:

Windows 7 won't recognize my camera as a drive, such as "drive J".  Instead it sees it (in Windows Manager) as Canon Powershot A540, with subfolders "internal storage", and "external storage".  Because of this, Autoplay doesn't come up when it is plugged in.  My other camera, a Fuji A303, when plugged in, has the autoplay pop up, and is displayed as "drive J" in Windows Manager.  If I take the SD card out of the Canon and put it in a USB card reader, the Autoplay pops up, and "sees" pictures, and Windows Manager calls the card Canon_DC (J:).

A friend says the computer is seeing "plug and play" firmware in the Canon.  Did I change something in the camera, or did some kind of software get on the SD card?

Is there some way I can get the computer to "see" the Canon camera as "drive J:" again?   Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:22 AM
  • I almost have the same problem but As i soon as changed the letter path it totally appears in my computer now  but i have other problem thats when i press/click on it, it give me a message says
    " Please Insert a Disk Into Removabel Disk A "    (A) is the letter i changed 2 
    so i was wondaring if anybody knows how to fix this problem ?
    • Edited by youmakemyday Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by youmakemyday Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:29 AM
  • I got the same error message, so next I took the files in c:\windows\inf from a working windows 7 machine and copied them to c:\usrdriver and I was able to update my driver and the memory stick started working. I used a different memory stick and it showed up as unknown device again, this time I did a reinstall driver and pointed it to c:/windows/inf and it failed to install. Obliviously something is missing or corrupt in c:/windows/inf so I copied the files from c:/usrdriver into c:/windows/inf  (after I backed it up) and I was able to get the second memory stick to work from updating the the driver from c:/windows/inf. Next I tried a third memory still and it showed up as unknown device. The problem was that my registry DevicePath was not set to"%SystemRoot%\inf" , from regedit goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software-> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion

. Once DevicePath was set correctly the memory sticks automatically installed themselves.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 2:11 PM

The solution:

step 1!

step 2!

step 3!

step 4!

In a similar fashion, I had all new usb storages not being recognized by Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition. After a whole day of tech support and trials I finally had it solved by copying "usbstor.inf", "usbstor.PNF" and "usbstor.sys" from another x64 win7 machine to the C:\Windows\inf folder and it magically worked ^^
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:21 PM
  • If you have Samsung Kies installed.... uninstall it!!!!

That solves many problems with USB recognition.

Greetings

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:46 PM
  • You have to assign it a new drive letter farther down the letters like v or u then it will show up in your computer. you do this in manager. left click you computer then right click on manger. click on storage then disk manager you should see the drive you want there. on the bottom of the page you will see there is no drive letter assigned to it. right click on it and give it a new drive letter like v or u then it will be active. that's all there is to it. good luck
    • Edited by mrlooking Friday, January 25, 2013 1:56 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Thank you sooooooo much SteveO123!  I spend hours looking for an answer to my problem.  Your right, my registry had an additional entry.  Your solution worked!  Thank you so much.  I really appreciate someone actually knowing the solution.  It's a really common problem and I hope they include it in an update soon.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:47 AM
  • I also tried this but did not work for me, all drivers up to date as well but still usb drive wont show in Computer, only in Device Manager and Disk Management
    Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:14 PM