none
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional wont install on Windows 7 64bit edition

Question

• Hi,

I am having issues with installing Office 2003 Professional on my HP Pavilion Elite - Windows 7 64-bit machine which I just purchased. I understand that there has been some issues with the compatitablity from the 32-bit to the 64-bit verison but I have found sites that states Office 2003 is compatitable with Windows 7 and some people have had success installing it on their own 64bit machines. I have two other PCs (Gateway desktop and HP Laptop) which are running the XP 32bit operating system with this Gateway Distribution CD (bought it with my Gateway machine years ago) - Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Software. I was able to succesfully install Office on my HP laptop even when its a Gateway Distribution CD so I know that is not the issue.

The issue I have ran into is when I install the software either by disc or on the hard-drive, the Installshield program comes up and it starts the installation process. However, when it is performing the requested services an error pops-up stating the following "This verison of Office is not compatitable with your system" then closes out. Now, I have tried to run the setup program under Windows XP (Service pack 2 and 3) and neither works.

In addition, I have uninstalled the office 2007 trial software and any other Office viewer programs from my machine. However, I still have Microsoft Works 9.0 still installed because I wouldnt think it would effect the Office 2003 Installation process. I also have done research and found many sites which mentions about needing to streamline the Sp3 Hotfixes patch installation in order to fix some capatitablity issues but I cant even run this updated patch in till I can get my machine to install the Office software.

Please let me know if I am missing a step to successully install Office 2003 on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Office 2003 Professional - Ver: 11.0.5614.0

Thanks
    Jason
    • Edited by Stammski Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:32 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I performed a test on installing Office 2003 professional in Windows 7 64bit. At the begining, the CD isn't read automatically and can't be installed. Then I copy the whole CD files to the hard disk and install locally, it works. So I recommend you to copy the whole installation files to the hard disk and install there. Meanwhile, make sure that the Operating System files aren't corrupted, please run the command sfc /scannow to scan the Windows in advance.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:44 AM

All replies

• I didn't have to do anything special to install Office 2003 (Student, in my case) under Win7 Home Premium X64.

At a guess, there's something nonstandard about the Gateway Distribution CD.

There may be a front-end to the installer that does some sort of checks that would not be done by a Microsoft installation disk. It may be possible to bypass that. (It could be a setup.exe that isn't at the root level of the CD.)

Good luck.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Actually, you are correct there is a front end installer and it will not automatically install the software on any other machine then a gateway. However, I was able to by-pass that with my HP laptop by going into the the CD directory and opening up the setup.exe for Office.

For my new Windows 7 machine I have all ready done this by-pass and it still will give me the error.

Any other thoughts....

Thanks
    Jason
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Hi,
    I have installed many versions, and I don't recall any problems. On the hand you are not the first that hear from about those problems.
    I guess it has something to do with both the administrative mode along with the compatibility mode or just the compatibility.
    I am geek in 64bit and have managed installed anything I wanted, the way I wanted unless it has something to do with the drivers, unique ones.
    When I prepare windows 7, I first disable the Administrator mode (throughout the registry - I think that I have post here months ago).
    Whenever you install a program and something goes wrong, right-click on the setup.exe and run in in compatibility mode. On the other hand, I always prepare a copy of Office with sleapstreamed latest Service Pack. In case SP3 has anything to do with it, I can't tell.
    Glad if that was helpfull.

Cheers.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

I performed a test on installing Office 2003 professional in Windows 7 64bit. At the begining, the CD isn't read automatically and can't be installed. Then I copy the whole CD files to the hard disk and install locally, it works. So I recommend you to copy the whole installation files to the hard disk and install there. Meanwhile, make sure that the Operating System files aren't corrupted, please run the command sfc /scannow to scan the Windows in advance.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:44 AM