none
Windows Vista Firewall: "Error 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start."

Question

• Hello, I am having issues starting up my windows firewall.  I had a virus and it really messed up some files on my computer.  But according to my Microsoft Security Essentials, the virus has now been taken care of.   I have looked into several forums and tried different methods, but nothing seems to work.  When I run 'Services' as administrator, click on 'Windows Firewall' and hit 'Start' it says 'Windows could not start the Windows Firewall Service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.'

I tried clicking on 'Control Panel' then 'Device Manager.'  Under 'Non-plug and play drivers' I selected 'Windows Firewall Authorization Driver' and under 'Device' it says 'The device is working properly.' 

I also tried running 'Command Prompt' as Administrator.  I tried the following commands and this is what I got:

C:\Windows\system32>sc start DCOMLaunch

[SC] StartService FAILED 1056

C:\Windows\system32>sc start RpcSS

C:\Windows\system32>sc start mpsdrv

C:\Windows\system32>sc start MpsSvc

[SC] StartService FAILED 1068:

The dependency service or group failed to start.

I also tried running 'Command Prompt' as Administrator and type 'SFC/ SCANNOW'.  I restarted my computer with no success.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm stuck, please help.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:19 PM

Answers

• Yes you are starting the command properly.

I have a hunch.

So go to the following file c:\windows\regedit.exe and right click it and
    choose Run As Administrator.

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy

Right click the Policy key and choose Permissions. Click Add and Enter
    NT Service\BFE
    Then click Check Names (the name will change to just bfe) and then Ok. Click Full Control then Ok your way out.

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy the below lines and one blank line underneath and right click in the command prompt window and choose Paste).

sc start bfe
    sc start MpsSvc

Wait a minute and repeat

Hopefully it will say

[SC] StartService FAILED 1056:
    An instance of the service is already running.

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:24f4e9da-153f-447b-9c80-b69c0852b655...

Under System Logs there are 2 different entries that occurred at the same time I ran sc start BFE as an administrator on the command prompt.  The first one says Error under the LevelEvent 7023. Service Control Manager EventLog Provider.  The Base Filtering Engine service terminated with the following error.  Access is denied.

There aren't any entires related to Service Control Manager.  Am I running the CommandPromt as administrator correctly?  Under Accessories, I right click on the CommandPromt and click on Run as Administrator.  Any chance I'm missing a step there somehow?

The second entry that occurred at the same time says Information under the Level. Event 7036. Service Control Manager EventLog Provider.  The Base Filtering Engine service entered the stopped state.

• Marked as answer by MelissaJS2012 Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:37 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 11:06 PM

All replies

• C:\Users\David Candy>net helpmsg 1056

So those 1056s aren't real errors. The command you aren't typing is

sc start BFE

What error number does that return.

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:3554e74c-9e7d-48a4-b6dc-328b6b3627f0...

Hello, I am having issues starting up my windows firewall.  I had a virus and it really messed up some files on my computer.  But according to my Microsoft Security Essentials, the virus has now been taken care of.   I have looked into several forums and tried different methods, but nothing seems to work.  When I run 'Services' as administrator, click on 'Windows Firewall' and hit 'Start' it says 'Windows could not start the Windows Firewall Service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.'

I tried clicking on 'Control Panel' then 'Device Manager.'  Under 'Non-plug and play drivers' I selected 'Windows Firewall Authorization Driver' and under 'Device' it says 'The device is working properly.' 

I also tried running 'Command Prompt' as Administrator.  I tried the following commands and this is what I got:

C:\Windows\system32>sc start DCOMLaunch

C:\Windows\system32>sc start RpcSS

C:\Windows\system32>sc start mpsdrv

C:\Windows\system32>sc start MpsSvc

[SC] StartService FAILED 1068:

The dependency service or group failed to start.

I also tried running 'Command Prompt' as Administrator and type 'SFC/ SCANNOW'.  I restarted my computer with no success.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm stuck, please help.

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:43 AM
  • When I type the command sc start BFE, it doesn't list an error.  I get this:

SERVICE_NAME:BFE

TYPE:20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

STATE:2_PENDING

<NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN

WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT:0x0

WAIT_HINT: 0x7d0

PID: 1904

FLAGS:

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:19 AM
  • That shows the service wasn't running and was sucessfully started. Just to check some virus isn't stopping it after it starts type sc start bfe a second time after a few seconds and make sure you get the 1056 error.

Lets check BFEs startup settings. Start the services application as an admin that you used earlier. BFE's friendly name is Base Filtering Engine. And it appears as that in the Services application. Right click it - Properties - General tab - and set Startup to Automatic. Now try to start Windows Firewall.

Or just copy and paste the below lines into a command prompt as admin.
    sc start DCOMLaunch
    sc start RpcSs
    sc config BFE start= auto
    sc start BFE
    sc config mpsdrv start= auto
    sc start mpsdrv
    sc config mpssvc start= auto
    sc start MpsSvc
    netsh firewall set opmode enable

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:b65bc529-fe8d-43eb-96ab-adbf7610a37a...

When I type the command sc start BFE, it doesn't list an error.  I get this:

SERVICE_NAME:BFE

TYPE:20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

STATE:2_PENDING

<NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN

WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT:0x0

WAIT_HINT: 0x7d0

PID: 1904

FLAGS:

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:37 AM
  • I tried typing in sc start bfe several different times, a few seconds apart and I still get the same results that I mentioned earlier.  It never comes up with an error.

When I select 'Base Filtering Engine' in the Settings as administrator, it is already set to automatic, but under status it does not say 'started'.  When I select it to make it start, it says 'Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine Service on Local Computer.  Error 5: Access is denied."

When I try the commands you provided I still get the same erros.

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Error 5: Access is denied is an error you'll get if not running the Services application as an administrator.

Try typing sc start bfe again in an administrator's command prompt (or start it in Services). Make note of the time.

Click Start - Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Administrative Tools then Event Viewer then look at both the Application and System logs (under Windows Logs) for entries relating to BFE, Base Filtering Engine, or Service Control Manager at that time you ran the SC start bfe command.
    --
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:d73d24cb-222c-417f-a6c7-dec0038001ea...

I tried typing in sc start bfe several different times, a few seconds apart and I still get the same results that I mentioned earlier.  It never comes up with an error.

When I select 'Base Filtering Engine' in the Settings as administrator, it is already set to automatic, but under status it does not say 'started'.  When I select it to make it start, it says 'Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine Service on Local Computer.  Error 5: Access is denied."

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Until your firewall is working, when not actually using the internet for troubleshooting, it's best to turn off/unplug your internet connection. There will be attacks against your computer from other infected computers.

I don't use Microsoft Security Essentials but most antivirus programs have a manual scan option. Try running a manual scan ticking all boxes for advanced scanning.

A second check is a good idea. Install and run this program.

It only allows manual scanning.

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:d73d24cb-222c-417f-a6c7-dec0038001ea...

I tried typing in sc start bfe several different times, a few seconds apart and I still get the same results that I mentioned earlier.  It never comes up with an error.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Under System Logs there are 2 different entries that occurred at the same time I ran sc start BFE as an administrator on the command prompt.  The first one says Error under the LevelEvent 7023. Service Control Manager EventLog Provider.  The Base Filtering Engine service terminated with the following error.  Access is denied.

There aren't any entires related to Service Control Manager.  Am I running the CommandPromt as administrator correctly?  Under Accessories, I right click on the CommandPromt and click on Run as Administrator.  Any chance I'm missing a step there somehow?

The second entry that occurred at the same time says Information under the Level. Event 7036. Service Control Manager EventLog Provider.  The Base Filtering Engine service entered the stopped state.

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Yes you are starting the command properly.

I have a hunch.

So go to the following file c:\windows\regedit.exe and right click it and
    choose Run As Administrator.

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy

Right click the Policy key and choose Permissions. Click Add and Enter
    NT Service\BFE
    Then click Check Names (the name will change to just bfe) and then Ok. Click Full Control then Ok your way out.

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy the below lines and one blank line underneath and right click in the command prompt window and choose Paste).

sc start bfe
    sc start MpsSvc

Wait a minute and repeat

Hopefully it will say

[SC] StartService FAILED 1056:

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:24f4e9da-153f-447b-9c80-b69c0852b655...

Under System Logs there are 2 different entries that occurred at the same time I ran sc start BFE as an administrator on the command prompt.  The first one says Error under the LevelEvent 7023. Service Control Manager EventLog Provider.  The Base Filtering Engine service terminated with the following error.  Access is denied.

• Marked as answer by MelissaJS2012 Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:37 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Oh my goodness, you are a miracle worker David! Thank you so much! Your hunch was right!  So did this virus actually delete some of my files?
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:37 AM
  • I think it just sabotaged BFE by removing it's ability to write to it's settings.

Glad to hear it worked.

--
    --
    "MelissaJS2012" wrote in message news:383f793e-a7e2-4ef3-ae14-fedc8e6676cf...
    Oh my goodness, you are a miracle worker David! Thank you so much! Your hunch was right!  So did this virus actually delete some of my files?
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Thanks a bunch David for the tip because it worked for me after searching for hours for a solution.
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:31 AM