none
Windows 7 boot error "inaccessible boot device" - But it's still THERE!!!!

Question

• Ironically, I was recently backing up my HP laptop with Windows 7 on it and it crashed while doing so.   When I tried to reboot I got the "inaccessible boot device" error, so I tried running the Win 7 setup disc.  Startup repair failed, restore from image failed, and even the recovery options for FIXMBR couldn't see a disk at all.   The only option seemed to be a clean install.  Suspicious of this, I pulled the drive and connected it to my 10 year-old XP machine via USB and VOILA...all the data was there and accessible.   There is obviously a simple boot record of flag that is damaged or missing, but how do I fix this.   I ran Disk Check on the XP machine and it seemed ok except for a few small errors which it addressed....Disk Check on Windows 7 doesn't even see the disk.  Why is my laptop's boot drive invisible to Windows 7 and just fine for XP?    HELP!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:49 AM

Answers

• Interrupted restore causes incompletly saved file changes, if these files are system startup files, system fails to start because of wrong file entries of system startup files, bootup stops anywhere at wrongly directed program snippet, 'Bootmgr missing', 'Ntldr missing', or loading of Windows. Such interrupted restore doesn't changes or deletes other files on hard drive's partition, because of which your hard drive returned other files but system startup files which are hidden and probably from system reserved partition.

Use following methods to save yourself from such troubles.

1. Start system, press F8, or start system from Windows system repair disk and select Repair Windows, start system from Windows installation disk for same, where instead of clicking 'Install now' button, click Repair Windows button, where installed operating system is serached and if found, repair or restore dialog box shows, which restores system to point of system creation point,  or a blank row and column dialog box with two options button shows, clicking Next button for option button at bottom shows other programs, select Restore from System image for system restore from Windows system image. Seldomly on its own this program wouldn't repair and start system.

2. Use Partition Guru's program for partition clone to an image file and restore these files to non booting hard drive's partitions which restores system just like Windows Backup and Restore, but your hard drive must have another operating system to run Partition Guru program, any other computer where Partition Guru runs would do the job.

3. Failure of above methods forces clean install of OS.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:37 AM

All replies

• Rather than trying to track down the actual error, it may actually be a better route to just grab all the files you want while connected to the XP machine and then just wipe the drive and reinstall Win 7.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi, It's seems that Xp mode is a solution for this problem.

You may be worth to try.

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:34 AM
  • Hi, It's seems that Xp mode is a solution for this problem.

XP mode for what?  What are you talking about?  How does your answer relate to the OP's posted problem?
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Interrupted restore causes incompletly saved file changes, if these files are system startup files, system fails to start because of wrong file entries of system startup files, bootup stops anywhere at wrongly directed program snippet, 'Bootmgr missing', 'Ntldr missing', or loading of Windows. Such interrupted restore doesn't changes or deletes other files on hard drive's partition, because of which your hard drive returned other files but system startup files which are hidden and probably from system reserved partition.

Use following methods to save yourself from such troubles.

1. Start system, press F8, or start system from Windows system repair disk and select Repair Windows, start system from Windows installation disk for same, where instead of clicking 'Install now' button, click Repair Windows button, where installed operating system is serached and if found, repair or restore dialog box shows, which restores system to point of system creation point,  or a blank row and column dialog box with two options button shows, clicking Next button for option button at bottom shows other programs, select Restore from System image for system restore from Windows system image. Seldomly on its own this program wouldn't repair and start system.

2. Use Partition Guru's program for partition clone to an image file and restore these files to non booting hard drive's partitions which restores system just like Windows Backup and Restore, but your hard drive must have another operating system to run Partition Guru program, any other computer where Partition Guru runs would do the job.

3. Failure of above methods forces clean install of OS.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:37 AM