none
Installing Updates and wasting work

Question

• When a file has a correct name and path why in God's name does Windows 7 not save it before closing to install an update? and if it will not, when it says "Do you mind if I close down now?" why in God's name does it not warn you that your work will not be saved?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 12:10 PM

Answers

• Change your Windows Update settings:
    Go to Start, type in Windows Update, and press enter (if Windows Update is at the top of the list). In the left-hand column, click on "Change settings." In the dropdown list under "Important Updates", pick something other than the "(recommended)" choice.  I have "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them" selected on all my machines. The other boxes are up to you.

I haven't had it automatically restart since using that setting (back when XP was new), but occasionally I'll see the "Install updates and shut down" message when shutting down. If that's the case, and you don't want to install the updates at that time, cancel out of the shut down screen and press ALT+F4. That will bring up a shut down menu that will allow you to shut down without installing the updates at that time.

SC Tom

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:29 PM