none
Office 2007 Installation error - Windows 7 Build 7100

Question

• Can't install Office 2007 Ultimate on Windows 7 Build 7100.

I get the following error: Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x800736FD Setup failed. Rolling back changes

There are various .net solutions posted for xp / vista on the web, but none of them appear to work with Windows 7.

Does this mean I just can't usef Office 2007 on Windows 7?

Thanks
    Friday, May 08, 2009 10:52 AM

Answers

• Thanks. I'm pretty sure I did it as a clean install, though there was still a windows.old folder in my c drive.

I certainly chose all the normal options for doing a clean install, but i don't remember a button called 'clean install' as such!

If you upgraded from the Windows 7 Beta you'd probably remember because there was a very special procedure required to make that possible - it's not a supported option and can't be done by booting off the DVD.  Windows.old just means there was a previous Windows installation on the disk that the setup program cleaned off for you and left old files in that directory.

FWIW I have Office 2007 working fine.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Well this issue is related to the do net. make sure that you removed it completely and re-install it then re-install office 2007
    of if you'd like just read the following
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926804 
    Best
    Ounis Zoubir IT Manager / Network Consultant
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

• Was the Windows 7 RC installed as an upgrade or a clean install? An upgrade might be the cause of this fault.

Telemann
    Friday, May 08, 2009 11:59 AM
  • Thanks. I'm pretty sure I did it as a clean install, though there was still a windows.old folder in my c drive.

I certainly chose all the normal options for doing a clean install, but i don't remember a button called 'clean install' as such!
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:04 PM

If you upgraded from the Windows 7 Beta you'd probably remember because there was a very special procedure required to make that possible - it's not a supported option and can't be done by booting off the DVD.  Windows.old just means there was a previous Windows installation on the disk that the setup program cleaned off for you and left old files in that directory.

FWIW I have Office 2007 working fine.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 3:52 PM
  • I have done a clean installation of windows 7 but I cannot install Office 2007. It asks for the route me towards a file that it does not find in the CD. The Office XP works correctly.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Office 2007 installs for me with no installation errors but ,after installation, Word, and PowerPoint doesn't work.  I have had this issue since the 7000 beta build, and it still not resolved.  

How can support for these Office 2007 problems get escalated?
    Friday, May 08, 2009 10:10 PM
  • In encounterd the exact same problem on my Toshiba Satellite. I suspect there is an issue with the DVD driver.

Workaround:

I put the Windows Ultimate DVD in a drive on another computer and shared it out. I installed Office from the remote share, and it installed with no errors.

:)
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Office 2007 installs fine for me also and I can open and use all of the programs without incident. After I let Windows Update do it's thing and I reboot and try to open any Office program, a dialog comes up and says that the application is not installed for this user and to run setup again. I am the only user set up on this machine! Anybody know what gives?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:57 AM
  • i installed Office 2007 on the RC and update it without any problem, now i trying it, it's work good.

Thank you,,
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Hi gryashe,

That warning normally means that the shortcuts being used were those funny Windows Installer ones that somehow refer to specific versions.  This particularly seems to be an issue if you copy or move the shortcuts after install, but later run an update (so the update fails to update the shortcuts). 

Try navigating directly to the Office folder under Program Files and running the applications directly from there.  If this works, the problem is with the shortcuts.  I generally solve this by making direct shortcuts to the appropriate EXE files.

Paul S Adams
    Senior Software Engineer
    Romteck Pty Ltd
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Thanks, Paul. Your trick worked fine until I installed Service Pack 2. That seems to be the culprit! Any suggestions? I would imagine that installing a service pack is fairly vital to the health and security of my system.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:15 PM
  • The installation file you downloaded may be corrupt or not fully downloaded. See this article for some potential workarounds.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Does this mean I just can't usef Office 2007 on Windows 7?
    OpenOffice for Windows works just fine with Windows 7 RC.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Well this issue is related to the do net. make sure that you removed it completely and re-install it then re-install office 2007
    of if you'd like just read the following
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926804 
    Best
    Ounis Zoubir IT Manager / Network Consultant
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:51 PM
  • I killed the Office 2007 Setup after it was going to rollback installation with Process Explorer. And than shows up the Reinstall Using Recommended Settings, so I clicked on Reinstall Using Recommended Settings. Nothing happens. I have no updates installed on my Windows 7.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Easy fix for all these types of installation errors when windows 7 is a fresh install.

Rather than using the cd/dvd pop up installer window, browse the cd, find the setup.exe for office and right click it.

Use the run as administrator option and it will install perfectly fine.

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:23 PM