none
Unable to install windows 8 acer aspire 725

Question

• I have acer aspire one 725 which I got from my institute which had linux installed initially and then the institute installed windows 7 after formatting it.I actually bought windows 8pro from microsoft at their best price.The problem begins here,i tried installing it and during installation it showed me the BSOD.Then it reverted back to windows 7.I thought let me clean install it and try again but still it got stuck at the same point.I have gone online to search but there is no solution so far.The error shows 0xc0000001(winload.exe).Ok so I then tried installing windows 8 evaluation as well.Same this problem occurred.I asked my fellow college friends and they have the same issue as well.Till date I have tried on x86 only and not 64bit OS.

i even tried to update the bios 1.0 ver. to 1.05 ver. and still no solution.Has acer blocked installing 32bit windows 8.But I have windows 7 professional on the computer installed.Even the bios does not provide advance features to check if there is a clash of hardware during installation.

Any solutions since acer only provides warranty for windows 7 oem pre installed.(I hate to say I even tried torrent files as well,then again tried downloading from microsoft through their own software,but no luck)

To sum it up

OS.............................................STATUS

W7............................................pass

W8 PRO 32 BIT(clean or upgrade).....................................FAIL

W8 EVAL 32 BIT............................................FAIL

W8 PRO 64 BIT...........................................NOT TRIED

W8 EVAL 64 BIT..........................................NOT TRIED

Any more data required please help

Thanks in advance

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:38 PM

Answers

• After testing it out here's the solution that I tried

-I had two partitions c: and d: drive.Deleted drive d: and merged it with c: drive

-secondly I had not installed blue tooth software but had not enabled it.So windows 8 might be crashing since it could not find the required software.

-Acer ao 725 can only be upgraded not clean installed.One of the above methods might be unnecessary but they did the trick.With that I close the thread.Hope any one who has a problem might find it useful.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, December 03, 2012 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by karan a Monday, December 03, 2012 4:23 PM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• Download and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and follow the recommendations in the report it generates.

Carey Frisch

Friday, November 30, 2012 11:13 PM
  • I don't have an Acer AO725, but on the Australian Acer website (I'm in Australia) www.acer.com.au it seems they offer various things relating to Windows8 for this model, including an updated UEFI for it, which seems more recent than BIOS v1.05 you mentioned...

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, December 01, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Initially i used acer upgrade assistant which basically helps the user upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8.Even windows 8 upgrade assistant did not help as it showed only to remove MSE,nothing else. It showed me the BSOD on both counts and restored it back to windows 7.Then I found the v2.5 bios but when I tried to flash it it said that It cannot be upgraded and the version needs to be constant i.e v1.XX. I have tried to install windows 8 evaluation on my dell inspiron 6000 using win 8 x86 installation and it works great.I asked few of my college friends as well if they encountered any issue and they are in the same kind of problem.

Beats me unless acer put a lock in Bios so only linux can be installed on the pc . I can't even disable device so to find if there is a clash of any hardware,but windows 7 installs perfectly,then why not windows 8.I'll try the evaluation version x64 first  and see if it is resolved as i am guessing AMD might be better compatible with x64,it might work.

To be frank have spent almost two days to install through  clean install/upgrade.

Thank guys though

Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:49 PM
  • An update even even 64 bit of windows 8 did not work.
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:39 PM
  • After testing it out here's the solution that I tried

-I had two partitions c: and d: drive.Deleted drive d: and merged it with c: drive

-secondly I had not installed blue tooth software but had not enabled it.So windows 8 might be crashing since it could not find the required software.

-Acer ao 725 can only be upgraded not clean installed.One of the above methods might be unnecessary but they did the trick.With that I close the thread.Hope any one who has a problem might find it useful.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, December 03, 2012 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by karan a Monday, December 03, 2012 4:23 PM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:51 PM
  • A bios update is needed to make Win 8 work. Unfortunately, only Acer can do that.
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:15 PM
  • @Alexastor:I have actually installed windows 8 my acer netbook and partition has to be single in order to be installed.No bios update was required.Thanks though mate!!!
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:22 PM