Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 9)

All replies

• Oh, my god ,it is part 9 now, still waiting ^^^^^^

How many parts would be before the Microsoft guys really do sth.

Cannot imagine that such a big company cannot figure out this issue. At least Xp or Vista were good for the battery.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Lshaogang,

Creating part 9 is solely a navigational mechanism in the forum and has no relation to battery issue investigation. You'll see in the prior parts that Chris has reached out to many posters to request information.

Thanks for your comments.

-Tony Mann

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:41 AM
    Owner
  • Tony, how many posts so far? Over 5,000 yet?

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Hi

I've been using win7 for about 5 months, and yesterday I've been surprised discovering that battery issue. the system (and Everest and battery bar) reported 62% battery wear !!!

so i tried the draining trick and it has worked i've restarted the laptop but not plugging AC and continued working for 15 mins with 1% indication before battery really depleted.

i removed the battery and did not recharge it yet, to avoid degrading situation until fixing this issue.

But a detail caught my attention while investigating, the system reported a design capacity of 88800 mWh ,

while the battery is a 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), 2.2Ah, 47Wh(i.e. 47000mWh) according to the battery placard and

website ( http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=446506-001 )

So if we consider 47wh is the real design capacity and the actual last full charge reported of 32678mWh we end up with battery health of 70% of design capacity which is sensible with 3 year usage !!

So i would like to ask every body to X-check the reported design capacity with published one, if it is the same situation this may be source of the issue.

the theory is : if it's the case having this wrong information, this may cause a shift between the actual and reported charge status and either causing win7 not to charge fully the battery or triggering an alert shutting down the system and not using all the battery charge,

or at worst both cases.

I really believe that there is no permanent damage to the cells, at least at the beginning

-----------------------------------------------------

owning COMPAQ PRESARIO V6715EE

Core2Duo T5450 2.0 Ghz , 2 Gb DDR2 , 120 Gb HD, 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), 2.2Ah, 47Wh

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, B4 were using Windows XP Pro 32b

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:37 AM
  • i have an hp dv9000 and im having this same problem the battery charges to 100% but will only last until about 60% then it drops to about 7% and shuts off this all happened about 3 days after installing windows 7 i never had a problem in vista the powermeter in vista worked correctly and never jumped from 60% - under 10 % like it is now. i used to get at least 1.5-2 hours before now i get 30 min. this isnt right theres no way the battery is done, just like that! it has to be windows 7 is thinking theres a problem preventing it from working correctly. I have a toshiba and i also updated it to windows 7 and im scared now so i took the battery out for now until theres somekind of answer to this b/c i think microsoft is wrong about all these batteries already being messed up b4 installing windows 7. i wish we could just have a way to flash the batteries memory or something that could return this back then i would go back to vista and throw the windows 7 cd out the window.

Come on microsoft come up with something save your name i really thought windows 7 was awesome and saved you from the vista fiasco. Now im just thinking your gonna lose face again. Mac will probably have a commercial out in no time having a field day with this.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi Joedofly

Good thought on the design capacity in relation with the published one.

but i think windows 7 doesn't change your charging events in relation with charging your NiMH battery it think it just copies(spyes) the battery charging time and many more from the ACPI a charging sensor is monitoring your battery and uses Delta peaking voltage to shutoff the loading circuit to protect it from overloading because that can cause serieus battery wear dammage.

if you want to read the hole deal about ACPI and the battery behavior you should read this see link http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec40.pdf

And in relation with the magic 15 min extra battery power.

This has been talked over allready windows 7 reserves 5 or 7% extra battery level for backing up the system to prepare it for total shutdown.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/90cbd429-f41e-4ecf-8eac-a5a53361f94a

This is why you have to add this running time percentage (15min depends on total battery capacity and degration) in relation with the windows xp or vista builds.

Oh and by the way a NiMH battery is in best condition when used a couple of times now and then it is designed to do this, when you store it you better charge it like 10% and then store it the NiMH metals and fuels inside are then at there best rate, you can also put it in the refridgerator but beware just don't get it wett (use small bags of silicagel)and don't ever let it freeze. when you want to use it again let it naturally come on room temperature for 24 hours

Letting your battery drain till 0% can also cause dammage to you NiMH battery because the positive elektrode (internal)wil be dammaged and won't take hydrogen to the nikkel platings etc.

But then again what won't dammage your battery ;)

greets

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:13 PM
  • I have a 7 laptop with the same issue. I was thinking of buying another battery for it and downgrading back to xp. However, if I was to buy a new battery and disable the ACPI devices on the system, does it still have the same degrading issues, or will it just not know it has a battery there and continue to operate as normal?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Hi Advertman

First tnx for the ACPI spec i will start digging in it.And good tips for dealing with NiMh battery, but I do have got a Li Ion cells, not the same behaviour, and i am aware perfectly of the risk of draining the battery, but still convinced that there is something wrong going on here.

for the time being i took off the battery almost completely drained,i did not recharge it yet, i will recharge it to half with the laptop switched off to exclude (i hope so ) the interaction of the system, and the store it until i will solve this oout.

for the magic power, what i did precisly is using the battery down to 1% before the system shutdown and then restarted the laptop on battery only ,and continued working more than 15mins with ONLY 1% ,so that means that there is really about 15 to 20% extra charge in the battery !

see all the power consumed :

• starting the laptop ( with full power)
    • the BIOS sequence
    • starting windows
    • loggin in and show desktop
    • and finally using it for 15 mins !!

little bit too much for as small as 5% reserve !

you said that windows does not change the charging events, OK, but if it does ???

this bug is wired enough to consider all possibilities.

why the system reports 88800 mWh instead of 47000 mWh ?

i will keep investigating.

regards.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:29 PM
  • hey all... chris specifically.

My battery label says:

14.4vdc

4200mAh

this is a 8 cell Hp battery... how do i find out how many mWh it is?

win 7 is reporting cap of 88800 mwh as well...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:19 AM
  • yep lion is little bit different says more degration when used in higher temperatures and when kept fully charged.

It is most common that LION battery's have a shorter amount of lifetime also.

i meant the 5 or 7% of the reserve battery is hidden so when your laptop is going into sleep mode or standby it does that at the minimum of 6% so that tells us that it enters these modes at about 12% battery power left.

Why i don't know 12% is high but when you have a 4800 mAh capacity 12% isn't so high anymore.

and yeah i know it keeps sayin 1% for a long time i find that strange to i saw that also.

If your battery report says 88800 mWh max capacity and the battery is 47000 mWh max capacity without wear levels then your battery is not being detected then you should contact chris of microsoft.

I will try my battery soon with every visual effect turned off to see if i wil get more dan 1hour 20 minutes with my 50% wear level

when Battery consumption currents are higher(win 7 max settings) this also effects the battery more negativly within a short while, every time a bit more so the wear level while raise to the roof in a short while, read about that today (sounds like the windows 7 wear level combi problem) that in combination with other problems like battery's which doen't seem to be recognized by the system or ACPI

Mabey those coffee warmers that came with the laptops have to do with it?  lol :P

• Edited by Advertman Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:31 AM extra's
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:26 AM
  • hi

it wont be written far from the numbers above, something like 60 Wh

or check with HP, follow the link above partsurfer..... using the HP spare P/N like i did

not sure but i may give a hint 4200 * 14,4 = 60480 mWh

-----------------------------------------------------

owning COMPAQ PRESARIO V6715EE

Core2Duo T5450 2.0 Ghz , 2 Gb DDR2 , 120 Gb HD, 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), 2.2Ah, 47Wh

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, B4 were using Windows XP Pro 32b
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Hello Anthony,

Yes, it is true that both you and Chris have requested thru the forum for information. you sent me an answer telling me you can not see the email, and the email Chris sent me was wiped/cleared out. I did, however, respond to Chris thru the email you sent me but I haven't received a reponse yet from anybody....

I'm going on the road again and won't be in place again for a couple of week in the meantime the battery problem is still eating at my batteries....

Carlos

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:29 AM
  • hi

ok tell me if the way i use it may lead to excessive wear:

at first i always use balanced power mode ie: half cpu speed ,deemed backlight .... etc;

i mainly use laptop plugged in AC,when i bought it the bat last a bit more 2h (now around 1h30) and since i use my laptop much more than that i prefer plug it when ever there is a plug around, and i use the batt occasionally (about every week or two) to preserve it but never go down below 30 or 20 % the recharge it.

i kept doing this for more than 2 years under XP pro,every thing ok ,never noticed a difference in batt life.

another excellent question : if my batt really is 47wh that means i have no problem it is 70% healthy rather than 38% reported

that is why i ask every one to cross check the painted with the reported design capacity

and post it in the forum just to let me know if i am the only one or not

cheers buddies

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:28 AM
  • even if the battery design capacity is wrong the system should work.

the capacity is updated at the next learning procedure.

in this case we can't be sure of the value read by windows seven. this is why i would like to test a wrong battery and read the registers directly by SMS bus without motherboard and OS.

the SMB bus is really simple (I2C) and a simple AVR microcontroller can do the job. (this is what we have used in our product with battery gauge)

i can't explain why the battery won't charge now. (after enable and disable acpi control under seven)

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:29 AM
  • i can't explain why the battery won't charge now. (after enable and disable acpi control under seven)

May be there is something Microsoft and manufactors know but they don't tell us ...

So i tried to talk with my friends and family and all the people who use windows 7 and use powercfg /energy, all without exception have a problem but until now they didn't know the existence of it...

And now, i have 2 friends and my sister who have the message "you need change the battery", my sister buy a samsung in August 2009 and its battery is broken...

they come back to Vista (except my sister who decide to use Fedora Linux) !

How many people will go deserte Windows 7 to use Vista or Linux ??? Microsoft is making advertising for Mac and Linux in this moment !!!

I can't remember a same situation with Microsoft's products and I use Windows since Windows 98 !!!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Remember: I tried several brand new, out of the box batteries, and even with these new batteries, I am getting this blinking red X (solid red X when charging) and "Consider replacing your battery"/"... your computer may shut down suddenly." messages with Windows 7 and no problems with Vista. It might be a key factor if Microsoft doesn't know that batteries can have unknown/null values for certain variables.

DanLee81 and others with impacted LG systems;

As mentioned earlier, we have been working with our hardware vendors on reported battery-related issues and LG has helped us root cause a firmware issue on several of their models.  This problem occurs because of a code defect in the system firmware (BIOS) of some LG notebooks. These include the R500 family of notebooks reported by several users on this forum.  The firmware defect does NOTHING to degrade the battery's health, but fails to correctly initialize and report the Design Capacity field of the battery to the OS resulting in a reported Design Capacity which is much larger than the Last Full Charge capacity read by the OS. 

The new Windows 7 battery health feature involves reading the Last Full Charge capacity and dividing it by the Design Capacity read from the firmware; the Windows Battery Meter will then display the "Consider replacing your battery" message when the Last Full Charge Capacity is less than 40% of the Design Capacity. Due to the identified firmware issue, the Design Capacity is reported as much larger than Last Full Charge capacity even with a brand new battery and therefore the "Consider replacing your battery" message is always shown.

LG has helped us root cause this issue and has developed a BIOS fix for impacted systems.  We have documented the details in a support article, which also points to the BIOS downloads (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981200).  This BIOS fix can be applied to impacted LG systems, including the original post to this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c6c043e6-eeb1-4e61-870d-896ca2f865d6.

We are continuing to work closely with our hardware partners to identify improper battery health issues and we will update this forum with any new information.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:24 AM
  • LG has helped us root cause this issue and has developed a BIOS fix for impacted systems.  We have documented the details in a support article, which also points to the BIOS downloads (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981200).  This BIOS fix can be applied to impacted LG systems, including the original post to this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c6c043e6-eeb1-4e61-870d-896ca2f865d6.

We are continuing to work closely with our hardware partners to identify improper battery health issues and we will update this forum with any new information.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

These are good news for LG owners, still waiting for HP. What happen with older models?,  I think that major brands do not update BIOS firmwares for models greater than 2 years old.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:24 PM

LG has helped us root cause this issue and has developed a BIOS fix for impacted systems.  We have documented the details in a support article, which also points to the BIOS downloads (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981200).  This BIOS fix can be applied to impacted LG systems, including the original post to this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c6c043e6-eeb1-4e61-870d-896ca2f865d6.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Hello Chris [MSFT],

The link to F.20 BIOS update for LG P300 on web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981200 is not correct The lge's site that microsoft has given link to does not list version F.20 for P300. The latest BIOS update version on that site is F.19. Please update your post and microsoft's support page.

Thanks,

Eren

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:26 PM
  • These are good news for LG owners, still waiting for HP. What happen with older models?,  I think that major brands do not update BIOS firmwares for models greater than 2 years old.

Theres hasn't been a BIOS-update for my HP Pavilion since 2007 :P
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:51 PM
  • But how to start the update? You must have about 20% Battery-power. But this is is exactly the reason why i want to make the update.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Hi NeedHelp365

Is it a winflash or a dos flash?

just flash your bios it wil be done with in 2 minutes.

If it does't 'work in windows 7 try vista of xp.

(sorry for the double posts all i got error messages so something went wrong on the forum)

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Also have an HP, same problem:

System Manufacturer        Hewlett-Packard

System Product Name       HP Pavilion dv2 Notebook PC

BIOS Date                       06/22/2009

BIOS Version                   F.0C

Battery ID                       Li4402A Hewlett-Packard 3800

Design Capacity               41440

Last Full Charge               3078

Last Full Charge (%)        7

Friday, March 26, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Hi Chris [MSFT],

Does Microsoft intend to contact Fujitsu concerning the problem with the laptop battery?  It might help them coming up with a BIOS fix for their older laptops.  I have a Fujitsu T4215 laptop (2007), which has the same problems as described in this forum.  I even bought a new battery and the problem is still the same (re does not hold its charge or the system does not properly read the battery charge).

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Pierre

Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hello Chris or Anthony,

how can I change the battery device driver and related drivers. I want to try and put the VISTA drivers on win 7 to see what effect these drivers have on battery live. I'm down to 4 batteries and it's getting downright catastrophic as each battery now last me an average of 20mins per battery....

:)

Carlos

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hey guys,

I have a macbook pro and I was dual booting windows xp for over a year now. I recently switched to Windows 7 and I'm getting the same "consider replacing your battery" issue. My battery works fine on the OSX side of the computer. I was reading over the forum and I wasn't quite sure if this problem will damage my battery in any way. I understand that it won't charge but does it damage my battery if I have my computer plugged in?

Thanks, I hope this gets resolved soon.

Sebastian

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Now I have flashed the new bios Ver F.20 on my LG R500. But same problem since before: 0% Battery-load and no loading. (i have 2 Batterys, both the same)

TRS

Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:06 PM
  • NeedHelp365, I have exactly the same problem on my Acer Aspire 6935g.

It looks like there's no solution at then moment.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Same problem, and my Fujitsu Siemens Xi1526 (from 2007) have no BIOS update for a long time , and won't have more.
    SO, what can be done to resolve this problem ?
    - Reset BIOS (disconnect BIOS Battery) ?

- Uninstall actual ACPI driver from Win7 and install Vista ACPI soft ?

What microsoft could propose  for people that can't update their BIOS ?

Thanks,

Vincent (French desapointed Win7 user)

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:55 AM
  • I've tried the Vista ACPI and it didnt't work.

And I don't think resetting the BIOS could change things, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:19 PM
  • This may sound weird, but it worked for me (and anyway, you have almost nothing to lose).

A few weeks ago I got the same problem ("consider replacing your battery" and the battery not lasting more than 30 minutes). It was weird because when I switched to Win7 it worked fine for more than two months, and (one day when it drained completely) it became a "defective battery".

Draining and recharging alone didn't work for me, and then I read an article at Lifehacker.com about freezing rechargeable batteries to make them last longer (didn't mention laptot batteries, but it applied to Ni-Mh and other rechargeable batteries so I gave it a try). 

I completely drained the battery (at least until the laptop won't turn on), then put the battery in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Take it out, and let it reach normal temperature (probably it'll have moist, so put it over a towel) which for me took another whole day, and when it's completely dry, put it onto your laptop while it's turned off and let it charge completely.

Amazingly, it worked for me and now Windows 7 reports that my battery is fully charged (100%) and the defective battery message and icon are now gone!

Let me know if it works for you too. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it'll work for some cases. For the record, my laptop is a 3 years old HP dv2000.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Add me to the list. I've got a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop, but the battery was still giving me at least 90-100 mins of life. Since upgrading to Windows 7 in January, my battery now dies after 25 mins. According to powercfg /energy, my battery is charging to only about 40%.

Quite upset about this, hope Microsoft finds a fix, because clearly it is something in Windows 7 that is killing (or at least crippling) everyone's batteries.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:51 PM
  • I think This new battery driver give too many problem to users

So, Microsoft should found a way to by-pass this new driver, and give choice users to intall old drivers (Vista) to chek the battery.
    i hope it will be done by microsoft...because too many users have problem !!!!

Regards,

Vincent

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:27 AM
  • I am having this problem on both laptops I currently use; a Dell Studio 17 and  Lenovo T40. Both worked fine under Vista and XP respectively. While I have not done extensive testing yet on the Dell, allow me to offer the following information on my Lenovo.

Model T40 2373

BIOS 3.23

Li-Ion battery, 10.8v 6.6ah

Windows 7 reports the battery as defective and only taking a 40% charge. Once unplugged batter goes down to less than 10% in 15 seconds.

But this is where it gets interesting....

I've disabled all the critical battery warnings and actions. And I let it run. Once unplugged the battery goes down to 4% in less than 20 seconds. The battery then sits at 4% for 20 minutes. The battery then goes back up to 32% and sits there for another 20 minutes and then starts to discharge at a normal pace. The battery eventually reaches 0% where it sits indefinitely, until it actually drains and crashes (expected behavior).

In my last test the battery performed for 1 hour 48 minutes under p95 stress testing. This is obviously a functional battery.

As mentioned this did not occur in XP or during the bios battery rundown test.

So, in summation... my battery is in fact performing as it has. Windows 7 is not recognizing the correct battery charge and/or discharge.

I'm posting this because I have not seen Lenovo ThinkPads mentioned here as being problematic.

Monday, March 29, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Sont VGN-MR21M same problem, Vista Home battery life was 2.5 hours, Windows 7 Home lasts 15-20 mins. Fresh install of 7 though not format and install option. Dell Latitude E4500 running 7 Pro does not have the same issue (format and install afresh).

Diabling ACPI in Device Mgr results in better battery life.

Sony flat refuse to do owt, though have downloaded newer drivers from Sony site, still no joy.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I have the same exact problem as all here, my laptop is an Dell Vostro 1510. I get the "Consider replacing your battery message" and the battery last for 15 mins max when its supposed to be 100%, but when I disable the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery it last for hours! Isn't it obvious that's the problem?
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:12 AM
  • i have an acer 5738zg upgraded to windows 7

battery lasts one minute before dropping down from 100 to 6-7%

microsoft this is unbelieveble that you had'nt resolved this problem already

i bought the upgrade thinking it couldnt possibly be worst than vista and now my mobile laptop is a fully functioning desktop

IT ISN'T A VENDOR PROBLEM IT'S YOUR PROBLEM

fix it already 

Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:13 AM
  • I have Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pa 3553 after upgrade to WIN7 have - Consider replacing your battery message and 30 min battery life !
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:31 PM
  • We should be able to reinstall vistas battery drivers. MS need to make this happen; the vista drivers were fine and didn't have issues. There's a clear issue with the new ones and it needs addressing. Hopefully something will be done sometime soon.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:46 PM
  • I'm another guy with an HP that is suddenly showing this battery warning. 

I hope somebody figures this out, ugh.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:44 PM
  • If I buy a new battery for my Dell 1720, will Windows 7 trash it like it has my current battery? Should I roll back to Vista and then get a new battery?

I wish I had the money for a macbook pro. I will never buy another copy of Windows if this problem remains unresolved.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:26 PM
  • I have a question to do for you guys. First of all sorry my English, im from Portugal.

I have the same problem as you, the battery wear suddently increases very much when i installed Windows 7, a few days ago it was at 85% of battery wear level.

But i've do the following:

-Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Method Battery driver.

-Let the battery drain till 40%, and stored it in the frozen in a plastic bag for one day

-Removed the battery from freezer and waited till it had a normal temperature.

-Charged till it had 100% battery, and drained it till 10% in suspended mode. It took me almost one day.

Now, my battery wear is 50% and the red icon disappeared. But im charging the battery from 8 hours and it still at 86%. I can assure you its charging, cause the % of battery level is increasing but slowly. The program BatteryCare says the same.

Can anyone explain this? My laptop is an ASUS F3E, with a 6-cell battery, purchased to a year ago...

Thanks.

Friday, April 02, 2010 6:13 PM
  • I think this issue needs a lot more media and news coverage before Microsoft puts serious effort to solve the problem.... I cannot believe it. It's so obvious that there's an issue with the new ACPI drivers.... my laptop is useless since months.

Happy Easter everyone.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I've decided to write to local newspapers about the issue as it's begining to become very expensive for me... Ms deserves bad press for this. They have yet to reply to me and i'm slightly fedup of waiting now.
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:31 PM
  • I have the same exact problem as all here, my laptop is an Dell Vostro 1510. I get the "Consider replacing your battery message" and the battery last for 15 mins max when its supposed to be 100%, but when I disable the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery it last for hours! Isn't it obvious that's the problem?

Stgeorge74 & George713;

This is Chris from MSFT.  It appears you are disabling the control method battery driver in ACPI and seeing extended battery life as a result.  This is NOT consistent with our investigations thus far and we would like to better understand the details of your situation and to work through some pretty detailed diagnostics on both Vista and Windows 7 to see if we can establish what might be happening on your systems. 

Disabling the control method battery driver basically prevents Windows from thinking there is a battery, so the OS will not attempt to Hibernate or Shutdown the machine when the remaining battery capacity reaches a critical level.  It is functionally the same as setting the Critical Battery Action to “do nothing” instead of “hibernate”. This can potentially result in data loss if the system shuts down unexpectedly without saving open application data.  

Please contact us at wpe@microsoft.com so we can gather additional information about these systems.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Sunday, April 04, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Hi, im new here.. 

i have the similar problem.. im using hp dv4 1219 tx.. i bought this laptop last year... and recently i bought windows 7 home premium RTM.. and since then i have the "consider replacing your battery problem"..

its true that the computer shuts down after 30 mins.. sometimes when i boot up after charging its down to 50%.. but the funny thing is during an isolated case when i left it on and the screen turned off for awhile the battery was abt 80% that time, by the time i got back and moved my mouse to check, it was back at a 100%..  

is it possible that we would have to recalibrate the battery again?

i dunno how.. but does any1 know?

desperately needs help :(

Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:51 PM
  • I saw here a post of a person that wanted to write to a local newspaper about the problem but it seems Microsoft is very much afraid of bad press and decide to delete this post!!! What a censorship here....
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Don't be afraid, i have friends of mine who works in "Le Monde" and "Le Parisien", newspaper from France and i ever had given all informations about the battery's problems, i show to them this page, they prepare something to write in newspaper about the Microsoft's silence about this big bug !

best regards !

Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic,

I have deleted your post. Please do not use this forum to drive traffic to your site. This is considered spamming, which is a violation of the posted Rules of Conduct. This forum is the best place for you to discuss your thoughts on the battery issue.

Thanks so much for adhering to the rules of the forum.

-Tony Mann

Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:34 PM
    Owner
  • Stgeorge74 & George713;

This is Chris from MSFT.  It appears you are disabling the control method battery driver in ACPI and seeing extended battery life as a result.  This is NOT consistent with our investigations thus far and we would like to better understand the details of your situation and to work through some pretty detailed diagnostics on both Vista and Windows 7 to see if we can establish what might be happening on your systems. 

Disabling the control method battery driver basically prevents Windows from thinking there is a battery, so the OS will not attempt to Hibernate or Shutdown the machine when the remaining battery capacity reaches a critical level.  It is functionally the same as setting the Critical Battery Action to “do nothing” instead of “hibernate”. This can potentially result in data loss if the system shuts down unexpectedly without saving open application data.  

Please contact us at wpe@microsoft.com so we can gather additional information about these systems.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, thanks for the response Chris , I wrote the email to wpe@microsoft.com with the issue.

Thanks.

Monday, April 05, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Guys with a HP laptop shud just try recalibrating the battery like Letsan...

i unplugged the AC adapter and changed my battery power management to HIGH PERFORMANCE and started draining the battery until 0% and the laptop went into hibernate..

i turned on the laptop a couple of times to make sure tat the battery was fully drained..

then i removed the battery, plug in the ac and booted up the laptop... after it was booted, i put the battery back in and the X was gone... and its charging up to 42% at the moment.. i will soon drain the battery once more to see test out its capacity..

no harm trying, right?

Monday, April 05, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Forum users,

If you have an LG notebook, there is a new KB (981200) posted that may help you.

-Tony Mann

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:05 PM
    Owner
  • I posted here about a month back with the same issue. I have a Dell XPS M1330 and experienced the same battery issue.  I had the battery replaced and after about a month I am still at 0% degredation according to battery bar. 
    Monday, April 05, 2010 12:23 PM

Stgeorge74 & George713;

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Dear Chris,

I experience exactly the same behaviour with my ACER Aspire 5100. When I disable the ACPI river, the battery works normally and lasts ~2 hours (which is a good value for my old machine). When I enable the ACPI driver, my battery won't last longer than 15 minutes.

I am sure that this behaviour has already been described by several user in this thread....?!

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:49 PM
  • You cannot vote on your own post

I have an HP with the same problem as everyone else here - went from working fine to barely holding charge.  One odd thing, however.  When I run powercfg /energy, I get the following:

Battery:Battery Information
    Battery ID Hewlett-PackardPrimary
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Serial Number
    Chemistry NiMH
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 6221

However, my battery is NOT NiMH.  It's Li-On.  I'm using the battery that came with the HP, and it says quite clearly that it's a lithium battery all over the casing.  So either HP is sticking NiMh batteries in cases labeled LiOn or Win7 is somehow misreporting the battery chemistry.

BTW, my laptop is 18 months old; I upgraded from Vista to Win7 in October 2009 and had no issues with the battery until sometime in late January of this year when I started getting that error out of nowhere.

Monday, April 05, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm following this thread for a while now. I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit and guess what?... The 0% plugged in, not charging error turned my LG R500 into a desktop computer. :(

Here's a part of my energy report:

Battery ID 1234 LG BAT1
    Manufacturer LG 
    Serial Number 1234
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 0 - "obviously win7 is not able to read my battery capacity anymore"
    Last Full Charge 35280

About updating the bios... I have no idea what's the deal between LG and Microsoft on that but LG doesn't advise you to do it if you're running Win7. See below (extracted from http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=R500-C.CB02A9&matchedModelCode=2300000350&searchEngineModelCode=R500-C.CB02A9&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile):

BIOS for R500 model
    This is BIOS Flash file.
    ??? Driver Ver. F20
    [ Application model ]
    All model is applied to BIOS which is less than Ver F20
    [ Caution ]
    LG Electronics recommend to use Windows XP or Vista.
    Installation Other OS may cause functional problem, and it will not be covered by product warranty.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Same problem here

Acer Aspire 5735 running on Vista business absolutely fine. Battery lasted about 1-2 hours

Installed Windows 7 x64 and battery lasts about 5 minutes (if im lucky) with the nice "consider replacing your battery" advice!

I'll post energy report later.

Cheers all

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I got in touch with you at wpe@microsoft.com as you asked me to but I haven't had a reply.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:23 AM
  • 25th March

in reply to:

Hello solarboy; It seems you have been in contact with our support organization, but your system still has issues.  I am working with our support team, but am not part of the normal support channel, so I am not aware of your case details.  In looking through your earlier posts, it appears you have a Sony SZ.  I can see from your energy reports that your battery Design Capacity and Last Full Charge values are very erratic.  In your previous posts you describe enigmatic behavior related to charging and the reported values from your battery.  Please contact me directly at wpe@microsoft.com and identify yourself and your support case details and I will look into it further to see if I can help.
    Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

..at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/e8734432-b46e-41a3-965d-23c42f10282a

Dear Chris

Thank you for your interest. Since I last posted on the forum I have re-installed W7 using the Sony custom Vista drivers installed in Vista compatability mode and as administrator where possible.
    I am using the "power saver" profile. The laptop is still running hot. The battery is 11.1V 5200mAh original Sony (VGP BPS9A/B).
    I have just tested my battery and it shut down with % left after mins. It also completely misreports the time left showing for example 2 hours 5 minutes left with 94% battery. 
    Regards

My powercfg follows:-

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name VAIOW7
    Scan Time 2010-03-25T22:31:01Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
    System Product Name VGN-SZ61MN_B
    BIOS Date 04/04/2008
    BIOS Version R0122S5
    OS Build 7600
    Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 67
    Thread Count 905
    Report GUID {f83c6727-ae42-40cf-9ad4-ff843645d248}

Analysis Results

Errors

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Mass Storage Device
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2836
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7
    Device ID USB\VID_054C&PID_0281
    Port Path 4
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2836
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2836
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2832
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2832
    Port Path
    Device Name Generic Bluetooth Adapter
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2832
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_044E&PID_300D
    Port Path 1
    Reason This Bluetooth USB device does not support selective suspend because it is not self powered.
    Reason This Bluetooth USB device does not support selective suspend because it is not remote wake capable.
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 40.66
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 12500
    Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156001
    Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 20000
    Requesting Process ID 2052
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name firefox.exe
    PID 2052
    Average Utilization (%) 29.23
    Module Average Module Utilization (%)
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll 13.12
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 7.59
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 4.25
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name dwm.exe
    PID 2680
    Average Utilization (%) 2.43
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\nvd3dum.dll 0.75
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.71
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.20
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 1.34
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 1.03
    \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys 0.10
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.07
    Process Name Skype.exe
    PID 2704
    Average Utilization (%) 1.05
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe 0.29
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.25
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.22
    Process Name explorer.exe
    PID 2768
    Average Utilization (%) 0.88
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.32
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.18
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\explorer.exe 0.06
    Process Name ApMsgFwd.exe
    PID 4048
    Average Utilization (%) 0.71
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.26
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.16
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.10
    Process Name NSUService.exe
    PID 856
    Average Utilization (%) 0.49
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.22
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll 0.05
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.04
    Process Name svchost.exe
    PID 956
    Average Utilization (%) 0.45
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.22
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.04
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll 0.04
    Process Name lsass.exe
    PID 836
    Average Utilization (%) 0.37
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.25
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll 0.05
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.03
    Process Name csrss.exe
    PID 772
    Average Utilization (%) 0.29
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.15
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.11
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.01
    Process Name GoogleDesktop.exe
    PID 4020
    Average Utilization (%) 0.27
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.13
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll 0.04
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.03

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 2052
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\winmm.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\js3250.dll
    Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Power Saver
    Plan GUID {a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a}
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality Power Saver
    Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Power Savings
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Power Saver
    Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Battery ID Sony Corp.
    Manufacturer Sony Corp.
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 54320
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 2
    Performance (P) State Count 5
    Throttle (T) State Count 8
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle (C) State Count 2
    Performance (P) State Count 5
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Sony laptop VGN-fz38M Win7 now only runs off battery 3 min when it says battery at 100 percent. Now have to keep it plugged into mains for it to work. Still unable to get hdmi sound to tv to work says hdmi disconnected. fed up with windows 7. Sony website not helping with this model. Is it best to buy a mac? and dump microsoft for good.
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Same problem here with my Sony Vaio VGN laptop Ron. Microsoft (via support ticket) told me to contact Sony. Sony gave me various things to try but have ended up telling me to get a new battery even though laptop is easily less than a year old. Batteries only come with 6 month warranty and I'm loathe to shell out for one as I suspect the same thing will happen again.

There is clearly something wrong here and neither Microsoft nor the hardware manufacturers can put their finger on it let alone come up with an adequate explanation or fix.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:17 AM
  • I'm definitely not buying a Sony Vaio again as Sony told me on the website that they won't provide Windows 7 drivers for it, even though I bought it less than 2 years ago, and as they've messed with the standard chipset, Intel/nVidia drivers won't work/install causing all sorts of headaches. Lenovo for me next time, or maybe swap platforms altogether.

My last Samsung X15 laptop battery lasted 4 years and was still going when the video chip died.

I wonder if the LG issues have any bearing on all the other machines with problems because initially we we're tole that W7 COULDN'T have anything to do with these issues, yet now a new BIOS has been released to fix W7 battery issues. All very suspect, I just want to be able to use my machine away from home for more than 20 mins, especially as it cost €1300 + €70 for Windows XP then another €70 for W7.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hi all,

By reading Solarboy reply about LG fixing the issue, it seems that I didn't make myself clear...

LG didn't fix the issue. The new bios is recommended only for XP and VISTA (so how is this supposed to fix a Win7 problem?). More then that, they advise you not to use it for other OS (Win7 from my understanding) under the risk of voiding the warranty. Now... with the luck I had later (after all I bought Win7 and it killed my battery) I'm not mentally prepared (LOL) to risk "frying the motherboard" knowing that I'll also void the warranty.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:40 PM
  • I have seen a few reports of people with new machines and Windows 7 preinstalled having issues.

I have copied the BIOS from a few machines and dismantled Windows 7 and I see what is the problem. Windows calculates the power differently and this change is what is causing problems.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Since installing Windows 7 x86 on an Aspire One 150 netbook I also have the flashing red cross over the battery. The battery will only last for less than 30 minutes and that is with the screen off which is much less than before. I tried updating the bios as well but it didn't help. The netbook is as new as it is not used very often. The machine itself is about a year old. I have never left the battery on charge for extended periods either.

Here are the results of the battery test:

Battery: Battery Information

Battery ID: 14A4SANYOUM08A31

Manufacturer: Sanyo

Serial Number: 14A4

Chemistry: LION

Long Term: 1

Design Capacity: 23760

Last Full Charge: 9007

The battery itself says: 2200mAh so it would seem mine is damaged?

As another point on locking threads and creating parts, why don't the TechNet forums use pagination? I feel this would be easier and less confusing for people and would save the need to manually lock threads and create links to new ones. When searching for this issue your search results would not return 9 seemingly identical threads (as well as all the rest). It would also make sense from a relational point of view.

Robin Wilson
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Previously i said recalibrating the battery solved our common issue, apparently it didnt last long. This is my "powercfg -energy report"

pls help! HP dv4 1219tx..

and my lappie is only almost a year old... :(

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name SHANG-PC
    Scan Time 2010-04-09T16:29:14Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Product Name HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
    BIOS Date 02/12/2010
    BIOS Version F.65
    OS Build 7600
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 93
    Thread Count 1114
    Report GUID {7c080454-857c-4e8a-9aea-b4e1ba0e2a7f}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2937
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2937
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2934
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2934
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_293A
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Printing Support
    Device ID USB\VID_03F0&PID_3E17
    Port Path 3
    Device Name USB Composite Device
    Device ID USB\VID_04F2&PID_B17E
    Port Path 5
    Device Name Validity Sensor (VFS201)
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2937
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_138A&PID_0001
    Port Path 2
    Device Name Logitech USB G3 (MX518) Optical Mouse
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2934
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C051
    Port Path 2
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 21.58
    Battery:Last Full Charge (%)
    The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 11837
    Last Full Charge (%) 24

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 10000
    Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156001
    Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 4528
    Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 15 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 600
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    Process Name firefox.exe
    PID 4528
    Average Utilization (%) 11.25
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll 2.46
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 2.42
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll 1.05
    Process Name msnmsgr.exe
    PID 2692
    Average Utilization (%) 1.30
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.31
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\uxcore.dll 0.28
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.17
    Process Name sidebar.exe
    PID 4880
    Average Utilization (%) 0.86
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7600.16385_none_72fc7cbf861225ca\GdiPlus.dll 0.24
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\dxtmsft.dll 0.11
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.08
    Process Name PnkBstrB.exe
    PID 2156
    Average Utilization (%) 0.80
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.36
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll 0.14
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\PnkBstrB.exe 0.11
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.57
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.33
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys 0.04
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.03
    Process Name dwm.exe
    PID 3444
    Average Utilization (%) 0.52
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.18
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\nvwgf2um.dll 0.12
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.05
    Process Name vfsFPService.exe
    PID 1536
    Average Utilization (%) 0.44
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.18
    \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys 0.05
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\vfsFPService.exe 0.04
    Process Name AeroSnap.exe
    PID 4828
    Average Utilization (%) 0.33
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.10
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.07
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll 0.07
    Process Name csrss.exe
    PID 548
    Average Utilization (%) 0.28
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.12
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.08
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.02

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 4528
    Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\winmm.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\js3250.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll
    Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
    System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Serial Number
    Chemistry Lion
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 11837
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Performance (P) State Count 4
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Performance (P) State Count 4
    Friday, April 09, 2010 4:38 PM
  • So, it's been two weeks since the release of new LG BIOS's that should fix the battery issue. Can anyone confirm it works? I myself have an LG laptop, but my S510 model is not among those that have BIOS update.
    Friday, April 09, 2010 6:48 PM
  • hi all

just wanted to say i have the same problem running win7 x64 on an acer aspire5920g .. no probs on the 32 bit version tho .. acer support no mentionski ..

not too bothered because batteries suck anyhow just hope it isn't gona fry?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Tell me is something wrong with my battery ummmm lets see I've been on here for months and look at what my design capacity is compared to my last full charge.  Windows 7 new battery driver seems to work well huh (sarcasm).  Yet another battery down the drain it seems.  No fix in site just claims we are all insane and "windows 7 isn't the issue".  Well it seems to be the issue here doesn't it. 

Computer Name

ANDREW-PC
    Scan Time 2010-04-11T23:37:05Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Product Name HP Pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC
    BIOS Date 08/10/2007
    BIOS Version F.13
    OS Build 7600
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 68
    Thread Count 823
    Report GUID
    Battery ID 5845SMP-SS20Akita
    Manufacturer SMP-SS20
    Serial Number 5845
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 46440
    Last Full Charge 703577

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:43 PM
  • As I have said before, looks like a slight change in the way Windows reads batteries seems to be the problem.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Before making any assumptions all here is what I have noticed;

Battery capacities plays a part in it; some of us complaing have older batteries that have been degraded over time.

Install CPUID Hardware monitor and look towards the bottom at the battery capacities;  Pay attention to the "Full charge capacity", now compare that to the "Designed capacity"...

If the value differes greatly.....

Hope this helps to determine some of our battery issues..

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:45 AM

Battery capacities plays a part in it; some of us complaing have older batteries that have been degraded over time.

Install CPUID Hardware monitor and look towards the bottom at the battery capacities;  Pay attention to the "Full charge capacity", now compare that to the "Designed capacity"...

If the value differs greatly.....??

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I used that tool and some other tools to look at the DMI more closely.

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:49 AM
  • I've used that and my friends laptop identical to mine with windows vista installed still.  Seems to be having no problems on his laptop, battery works like a 6 month old battery should work, "just like new".  Instead on my laptop and what I've been saying for I don't know about 6 months now, that windows needs to find a fix, and I hope one of the technicians on the site can update up now on the status of this issue and what is being currently done to fix it.  I am sick of hearing its not windows 7 fault, its the BIOS or its this or its that.  Common sense tells me when I switch to windows 7 and start to have battery issues (when vista ran flawlessly without destroying my battery) then windows 7 has to be the problem. Period. There's nothing else that makes logical sense to explain the high correlation of users switch from a pre existing windows os, to windows 7.  Practically everybody who has posted on this extensively long forum have all had that same variable leading to the battery issue.....WINDOWS 7.  Wake up windows you sleeping giant and do something.  As a matter of fact I want to know what you are doing!
    Monday, April 12, 2010 12:34 PM
  • I just got this battery error earlier today and it sucks to come here and find out there is no solution. My Dell Vostro 1520 is less than a year old. It originally came with Vista installed, but I immediately upgraded to Win7RC. Now I'm running the legit Win7 and have re-installed a few times for various reasons. I just re-installed Win7 about 2 days ago and now I'm getting this battery error. I don't know if the reinstall had anything to do with the battery problem, but I have never seen the error before this. My drivers, bios, and whatnots are all up to date. 

I just installed the Battery Care utility to get some detailed info about my battery and here's what it reads:

Designed Capacity: 48840 mWh

Total Capacity: 19180mWh

Current Capacity: 19180mWh

Charge/Discharge Rate: 0 W

Tension (Voltage): 12365 mV

Wear Level: 60.73%

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:22 AM

If the value differs greatly.....??

So a 5-6 month battery, which has been having problems with windows 7 a month after the upgrade from windows vista, is already completely damaged? Then ether way, windows 7 has a problem and it needs to be fixed. 
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:42 PM
  • take a look on this... that`s wierd ! My report: the las full charge is almos 10 times the Design Capacity !

Battery ID 779SMP-LGCW350
    Manufacturer SMP-LGC
    Serial Number 779
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 86580
    Last Full Charge 727217
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:22 PM
  • take a look on this... that`s wierd ! My report: the las full charge is almos 10 times the Design Capacity !

Battery ID779SMP-LGCW350
    ManufacturerSMP-LGC
    Serial Number779
    ChemistryLION
    Long Term1
    Design Capacity86580
    Last Full Charge727217
    My computer is doing the same thing as yours, does yours  take forever to charge?  Because I was charging my battery when it was dead and it took hours to move from 3% to 6%, then it shot to 100% then when I unplugged it, the gauge didn't move until the computer died, then it went directly down to 3%.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:46 AM
  • If you listen carefully, you may still hear the Microsoft cogs churning?????

Where are you Microsoft, where are you on this ????

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I gave my battery a performance test and it went from 100% down to about 80% in about 5 minutes. I wasn't doing anything really taxing to bring it down that quickly. I decided to plug it in and leave it at that. I used to get about 3 hours from my battery. This is very frustrating and seeing as how MS hires the best of the best you'd think they'd have figured this out by now.They need to take care of this ASAP and figure out how they are going to get me (and everyone else) a new battery.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Hi, I have the same thing on a Dell D620 (bios = A10) with Windows 7.

I tried 2 different batteries and I got the same results.

Windows must be messing up with the battery EEPROM.

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Don't be naive people, no one will give you new batteries/money back. The only thing Microsoft needs to do concerning this issue is to release a simple patch which "downgrades" the current W7 power management to the Vista one. The only hope we've got is that this will be implemented in SP1...
    Friday, April 16, 2010 5:36 PM
  • I agree with you, that's the only thing we can hope from Microsoft.

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I suppose there is one thing which is causing so many people to have this problem.

I think many batteries are a bit rubbish and this may push manufacturers to provide better ones now that Windows 7 informs you when they don't charge very well.

It does seem that some have issues with Windows 7 as well though.

If Windows 7 is damaging batteries how is this possible? Is it because the overcharge protection is not working due to the mismatch of design capacity and charge capacity? I would have presumed this was controlled by the BIOS.

My battery is giving me the error from a netbook which is only a year old but it was only £200 for the netbook so maybe it is because the battery is rubbish. It doesn't seem to last as long as it did with Vista but then Windows 7 does shut it down when there is still more capacity remaining due to Windows 7 allowing time for backups etc.

Robin

Robin Wilson
    Friday, April 16, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 and I had a 9 cell battery that was only a year old and could hold a charge for about 6 and a half hours and just a week ago it was dead. Now I'm using a 3 cell battery life and it's already half dead. Microsoft owes me a new battery.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:05 PM
  • i have an aspire 6920g running either win7 32/64 ultimate or Home preimum

gives the same problem with the charge in my battery, i can go from a fully charged state from what powermanagement tells me to 4% in 30 mins just from browsing.

it willstay at 4% telling me i have a few mins left around 5 i think

5 mins will pass and it will keep going for an nother hour.

it tells me to consider replaceing my battery but i dont want to do this if iam going to get the same problem.

booting my laptop with ubuntu installed not live cd iam able to run on battery for 3 hours. so what gives MS why have you continued to ignore your customers once again and hide your heads in the sand.

please fix this problem. i regret paying out for my win7 licence.

strange thing is i didnt get this battery issue with the RC version of windows 7.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:35 PM

Battery ID 779SMP-LGCW350
    Manufacturer SMP-LGC
    Serial Number 779
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 86580
    Last Full Charge 727217

Gustavo;

What is the make/model of your laptop?  How old is the system and is this the original battery?  Also, was this an upgrade from Vista or a clean installation of Windows 7?  What is your current battery cycle time (i.e. run time from a fully charged battery until hbernation)?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi, I have the same thing on a Dell D620 (bios = A10) with Windows 7.

I tried 2 different batteries and I got the same results.

Windows must be messing up with the battery EEPROM.

JFS87;

When you say you have "the same thng" on your Dell D620, can you please clarify what you are referring to?  Are you receiving the "Consider replacing..." warning message?  What is the condition of these two batteries and what is the battery cycle time on Windows 7 (full chage/discharge cycle)?  Have you reviewed the energy reports on these batteries?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I haven't read the entire 9 part thread, but, is there a solution to this problem yet?

I'm one of the many affected who has had their laptop turned into a desktop.  I have a Lenovo X61 (purchased in July 2008) with the original battery that should have some charge left (at least it did when I was still running Vista) and a new battery (non-Lenovo) that should have at least 2 hours worth of charge.  Both of them are recognized by Win 7 under the "consider replacing your battery."  Additionally with both, the second I disconnect the power cable, the computer shuts off due to lack of power.

Basically, I love Win 7 except for this problem.  This problem, however, is hugely annoying and is ruining my "laptop" experience.

So, again, the short version: is there a solution yet?

Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Same problem as others. "Consider replacing your battery" on second discharge cycle of a new 6 cell battery in an Acer Aspire D250 and the system had shut down without warning. New battery is a Simplo UM08A73 which was fully charged (>24 hours) each time before the two discharges. This battery replaced the original 3 cell battery, which was operating fine and only 3 months / about 30 cycles old - I just wanted longer run times. For what it is worth, the first battery was on charge for over 24 hours before the second battery was swapped in. The Powercfg -energy report for the new 6 cell battery claims Design Capacity: 48840 and Last Full Charge 19081, Long Term 1. Advanced power settings are: Low Battery Notification=On, Reserve Battery Level =7%, Low Battery Level=13%, Critical Battery Level = 8% (all these are the On battery settings).

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Manufacturer name: SANYO
    Manufacturer date: 2008-08-27
    First used date: 2008-09
    SerialNumber: 33205
    Bar-Code number: 1ZESJ88VPMD
    FRU part number: 42T4511
    Device chemistry: Li-Ion
    Design capacity: 84.24 Wh
    Design voltage: 10.80 V

Error: The battery has failed due to normal wear. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery.

-

So now what am I supposed to do?

Monday, April 19, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

I have Lenovo Y510 that is having same problem. I didnt have any issue with Windows Vista. After I updated the system to Windows 7, I got the same message "Consider replacing your battery" in about a month. Now the battery is dead and cant use is without the adapter. 

I was in touch with MS tech support and after 2 months of analysis say that I need to get a new battery as the old battery is not good. So its the battery issue and not Microsoft Windows 7 issue.

How come I didnt have any problems with Vista and all of a sudden the battery has issues after moving to Windows 7? 

Does replacing the battery resolve this issue? Does Microsoft guarantee that the new battery wont have the same issue after few weeks/months? 

Please provide a proper resolution for this issue instead of putting fault on the batteries. This is clearly not a battery issue.

Thanks.

Arun.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Replacing the battery does not solve it - in fact it can cause the problem. I had a 3 cell battery working fine, replaced it with a 6 cell for longer run time, and on the second discharge, I had the problem of being told to replace the battery`.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:30 AM
  • i've been following this forum a long time now hoping a solution comes up because I have the same problem, but absolutely nothing has for almost a year now. it shows how useless these big companies can be. i'm now hoping my PC spoils soon so I can get a Macbook and be free from all this. u have a battery connected to your laptop and it feels like there is none because of this cra*p. what is the purpose of the laptop then, if not convenience?
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for the response. This forum started Friday, June 05, 2009 4:06 AM.  Its going to be nearly an year and Microsoft havent found a fix for this serious issue. 

How much longer does Microsoft need to fix this? 

This problem has affected lots of users who thought Microsoft OS is better than other operating systems. But with this issue and poor response from Microsoft, looks like people have to think of switching to other Operating systems.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Does exist a petition in witch all people having the same problem could sign. A petition that would be sent to Microsoft and all importants Newpapers in the world !
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Just out of interest, has anyone tried running Win7 as a virtual machine guest, do the same symptoms appear?

I've had to order a new battery for my Acer 6930G as I get just enough time to start the laptop booting while I hunt for a mains socket to plug the AC adapter in .....

I'm comtemplating putting Linux onto the laptop as my main OS then running Win7 in a virtual environment without any ACPI drivers etc.

Shouldn't have to do it, but I'm not going to risk trashing a brand new £100 battery ........

===============
    Simon Bilton
    MCITP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hmmm - got a bit of spare time so just had a look at the symptoms in a bit more detail. I downloaded BattCursor and kept an eye on things....

The Battery Info reports that I have only 30% health, the Total Capacity is 14,652mW and Design Capacity is 48,840mW

The Battery Level reports as 100%

I took the AC adapter out an just sat there watching the screen, no apps running (except typical background stuff) just moving the mouse now and again.

The power indicator under the mouse started ticking down from 100%, quite slowly to about 92% - then suddenly nose-dived to 5%, all battery warnings kicked in etc, and the PC shut down [hibernated].

So basically it went from >90% to 5% in one leap.

Now, I accept that this may well indicate a damaged battery - but what I'm not happy about is why it has got so damaged so quickly. The only things that have happeed to cause this that I can see is the combination of Windows 7 and (accidentally) running out of battery a couple of times....ever since the inadvertent running down a few months ago the battery has become as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to to try the freezer trick a couple of other posters have suggested - after all, I've got nothing to lose :(

Rgds

Simon

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:37 AM
  • Ok, now there is a Facebook group related to the problem.  If everyone joins it, perhaps we could finally get some publicity and a solution.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112791152087203

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Vostro 1310, 1 year old, the same problem, with Vista my laptop worked fine

Battery ID 11Dell
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 17740
    Last Full Charge (%) 30

MS, please do something or i will go for linux!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Okay guys, I might have figured something out.

As Microsoft isn't going to fix this, I've been doing some testing on my own (as I've got tired of not being able to move my laptop), and I think I've found a procedure which [slowly] increases the "last full charge" (I went from around 30000 to around 36000 in a couple of days). I'm going to run some additional tests and post the results here in a few days.

Cheers

P.S. Everyone, join the facebook group from WFU-03 post! It went from 6 to 24 people in less than a day, so come on! Let's let'em know how many of us are there!

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Joined the Facebook group but wanted to post here as well. Toshiba Satellite A305 with same problem. Upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit from the RC maybe 4-5 months back and popped up with the battery replacement ad about 2 months ago. The laptop says 100% charge, trying to go through various suggestions on these threads but I will guess I'll be hopeless like the rest. This is the epitome of a monopolistic company!!! Treat the ones who actually give you legitimate feedback with respect and at least acknowledge those with this problem. 

Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:47 PM
  • P.S. Everyone, join the facebook group from WFU-03 post! It went from 6 to 24 people in less than a day, so come on! Let's let'em know how many of us are there!

Sorry, but I'am not on Facebook, and don't want to be on !

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Haha.. Very funny Microsoft. I just read a news article about MS president's statement on these battery error messages and he's trying to make us believe that this error message "has nothing to do with the BIOS as the (BIOS)information on battery and the laptop itself is read-only". What a dumb statement. Yes, BIOS information cannot be edited while on the OS but it a wrong BIOS info can make the OS behave differently. Seems that they are trying to make an effort to smash a possible lawsuit with a hefty price tag. Nice try but it doesn't work.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:15 PM
  • I have got below response from one of the MS tech support

We’ve been working with many of these cases and they have been resolved, with our instructions.  In your case the battery has failed.  Again, Windows 7 does not destroy batteries. A new feature in Windows 7 does report the status of when it is time to replace a battery through a notification, but does not affect the life of the battery.  In Vista there was no feature to provide notification of a dead or dying battery.  If you get a new battery and still have issues, we would like to know about and will work to resolve any issues.

Any suggestions if I should go with the new battery?

Thanks.

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:46 PM
  • We’ve been working with many of these cases and they have been resolved, with our instructions.  In your case the battery has failed.  Again, Windows 7 does not destroy batteries.

lol, this is total #$^%@*#% You definitely shouldn't go for a new battery as it most certainly will fail as well.

What do you think people, maybe Microsoft has made a deal with major laptop manufacturers? So that W7 destroys the batteries, MS does not fix it, and the users are forced to buy new batteries? =) A good way to make some money, huh?

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:30 PM
  • I'm convinced that Win 7 is either destroying the batteries or reading the information incorrectly.  One of the two.  Therefore, new batteries don't seem to matter much because they end up destroyed or Win 7 thinks they are.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:18 AM
  • I have recalibrated my battery (discharging it, putting it in the freezer for about 12 hours, getting it out, letting it get "warm", putting into laptop and charging with the laptop turned off) and every time I do it the message about a bad battery goes off. However, it has had it's charge reduced as it only lasts about 30 minutes under heavy use, and a bit more when doing light stuff like surfing the internet (even when the X is gone).

The strange thing is that every time my battery drains completely and the system goes to hibernation, when it resumes Windows, the battery becomes a defective one for Win7. If I discharge the battery to any percentage above the critical level, and then recharge it, Windows does not notice that the battery is "defective" as it says when it has to hibernate because of battery life.

Microsoft says it's a hardware issue, but I can't see why the battery was lasting 2 hours one day, and after it got all the way down to the critical level and Windows went to hibernation mode, I plug it to AC and turn it on, and the battery instantly becomes defective and it won't last more than 30 minutes. If it's a hardware issue (maybe the batteries are indeed damaged), Windws used to charge them completely regardless of their condition. Now, it modifies the memory controller (that's inside the battery) so it won't charge completely, maybe to avoid damaging it more or to reduce the risk of the batteries exploding or something like that. And MS, if we want to damage even more our batteries, is our decision...

Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:14 PM
  • OK this is ridiculous now

Win 7 has completly ruined another perfectly good battery, this being an issue with a friend of mine's new laptop

i just worked it out

his hp laptop with win 7, advertised battery life 2.5 hours (150 mins), which is 1.5mins for every 1% battery usage,and he got that for the first month and a half, however the "concider replacing your battery warning cropped up for him too and now he gets 30mins till complete discharge (light usage WITH brigtness on half) = 0.3 mins per 1% which is 1/5 of original time = 80% less battery life in 2months.....thats something more than just "normal" battery life, depreciation

ive told him to get a refund on his laptop and NOT use win 7 till this is sorted out!!

How can MS Simply ignore this issue, brand new laptop with this problem, its more than just a coincidence it could have been a faulty battery..

Sill waiting for A Fix...

Sameer Qureshi
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:56 PM
  • yeah this is ridiculous, my Asus Laptop with Windows 7 RC started acting up and i got the "replace battery" error as well. 

now my laptop can barely run on the battery without completely shutting down

CMON MICROSOFT this is BS

Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I have a Dell Vostrol 1520 runs on windows 7. I just noticed this issue started few days ago, today I started researching for the cause. I usually hate those crooked class action attorneys, but this seems to be a very reasonable case, especially after 9 parts filled with posts without a resolution and MS engineer continued suggest us to buy new batteries this is a joke. Anyway just want to make sure I logged a complain as well.

Hai Nguyen

Dell Vostrol 1520 

Hai Nguyen
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:19 AM
  • I have a HP Pavilion dv4-1283cl (6-cell battery). Bought it 6 months ago and installed Win 7 RC the day after (came with Vista).
    Everything worked fine for the first few months but the battery life started decreasing over and over. Today it lasts just 40 minutes!!

Designed capacity: 47520 mWh
    Full Charge Capacity: 13889 mWh
         Current Capacity: 13889 mWh

I was going to buy another battery but read an earlier post here saying it wasn't the solution.

What should we do??

Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:09 PM
  • So, Microsoft.... May I call you Microsoft? How about MS for short? Let me be frank, MS... People are PISSED. How is it that you can make this operating system that is so apparently awesome, and yet screw up on key component. What's funnier is that the previous and widely hated Vista OS while an ugly behemoth as it was, at least didn't kill our laptop batteries. The one thing right with that OS, and you couldn't keep it.

I thought I'd provide a link, to one of many, many, pages/blogs/articles speaking on the issue.  You know what they're saying? Have you heard? You may not have, since you obviously aren't reading what people are posting... They're saying that Windows 7 kills batteries. And not just any batteries, but laptop batteries! Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a bad thing? Think of a laptop battery like your heart. Your heart keeps you going, it keeps you alive, similarly a battery does the same for a laptop. Now, some hearts, just like batteries, are stronger or weaker than others. Some have been around a long time, others are fairly new to the world. However, it seems that like a person that puts things in their body that aren't good for their hearts, Windows 7 isn't good for batteries, or at least some sort of bug/issue in Windows 7 isn't. Now if you're still following me, MS... don't people normally die when their heart fails? Kind of how like a computer turns off when the battery doesn't work anymore?  Sure, you could plug it in, just as you could plug a human in to a machine to keep them alive, but is that any kind of life? I think not. Some say it is better than none or nothing, and that may be true. But there is something awful convenient about not being plugged in to a wall all the time, whether you are a human or a laptop. And hey, that's why we buy laptops in the first place isn't it? Mobile computing without the hassle of having to stay plugged in. The freedom of knowing that we can be in the world for anywhere from 2 - 5 hours depending on our laptop batteries make and model and our power usage.... That was until we gave out laptops crystal meth/Windows 7.

I tell you, MS... you have a few things you could do. You could keep up this spectacular job of denial and say that it's just us overusing our computers, and keep claiming that Windows 7 does nothing to laptop batteries. You could actually step up to the plate and say "Hey we goofed! Our bad! No we're not gonna pay for replacing batteries, but if you stick with us, we'll find a way to fix the problem." I think most people would like that one, even if they don't want to pay $120 for another laptop battery. But you would actually have to do that after you say would, and not... you know... "skip town" on us. Or you could still fix the problem AND give us all money vouchers to replace our batteries, but I don't think I'm gonna hold my breath for that one. You're a giant corporation and I know your executives are busy taking money showers to wash away the worries of shortening the lives of the laptops your loyal customers, but man!

My laptop is less than a year old (I got it mid June 2009, it's an HP G70-250US), and about 2 - 3 weeks after upgrading, I started having battery problems. Awesome. Now do something about it so I can buy another battery from HP, and don't have to sit with my laptop plugged in all day so I can use it. Because my battery won't last more than 15 minutes, if that. I'm a college student, money is tight as is. Luckily I'm not some Mac loving hippy, so could your loyal customers get some support? Or was releasing this OS your version of tech support for Vista?

We're waiting. Do something.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Kishiro, should we ever meet, remember I owe you a pint!

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:49 PM
  • ____, just do something!!! that is ridiculous ... i cant believe, how it is possible some corporation like microsoft to allow that be happened. Are you blind? Can't you see all these people here?

THEY HAVE A BIG PROBLEM!!!

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM!

SOLVE IT!

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Just noticed Letsan's comment (from Sat 24th) .... he mentions something that I stated in my post some time ago.

As I read through these various posts, I'm beginningto see some trends....

Firstly, it seems that the problem manifests itself after a battery has discharged [and gone into hibernate?]. I didn't experience the issue until after I'd had the OS auto-hibernate as the battery ran out.
    Second thing is that there seems to be critical point where the battery becomes "unusable". I 've checked a few figures in the more recent posts, and everyone seems to be reporting back that the capacity is approximately 30% of expected. (Has anyone got a reported value of something really bad, like 2% ?)
    And thirdly, there seems to be a lot of users on x64 versions. I was running Win7 x86 from the day it was released wihout any apparent problem, then upgraded about January time to x64. No problems until after the upgrade (although I guess there might have been gradual degradation which tipped over the edge not long after the upgrade).

It may be worth collating some more accurate figures to do some analysis - I don't have time to do it myself this week, but I'm thinking a simple web page to collect OS version, %age charge and a tick box as to whether the battery has discharged the OS to hiberantion.

Any volunteers ;)

Rgds
    Simon

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Notice: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED!

This conversation continues onto Part 10.

The last thread in the conversation is Part 11.

If you have not already done so, please review the troubleshoot battery problems article and the consider replacing your battery article. For tips to conserve battery power please review the Conserving battery power article.

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:47 PM
    Owner