none
Windows 7 file System

Question

• Hi all,

I am not sure if this exactly this the right forum, but I hoping someone will be able to help.

I am looking for description of the windows 7 file system. i.e

Windows -> System files for windows
    Users -> Stores the user file information.
    Program Files -> Stores Program file application files.

I know the basics but what I am looking for is indepth guide for best practices of how to use the directory inside of windows User and Program files so that when I setup my installs, I am placing files into the correct place for Windows 7 . For example there is a public user space . What should that be used for and what should it not be used for?

This might sound a bit obivous in most places but it would be great if there was offical best practices for use of the windows directory structure.I am sure there is one out there, but I am struggling to find it.

Any help would be great ;)

James

http://www.unwindsoftware.com/blog/
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Unfortunately, I only find an old document for Windows XP:

System Files Reference

Regarding the Windows Vista and Windows 7, they can be found on Windows Vista Resource Kit and Windows 7 Resource Kit.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:26 AM
  • At least I know I am not going mental in terms of finding this information. Really seems strange that there is nothing on MSDN or Technet that clarifies the windows directory structure completely, if only to stop developers installing modules and software into the wrong place. But also to help admins with understanding how Microsoft view the structure of windows out in the market place. Thank you for the link, going to see if I can get anything out of compatibility teams for Go Green campaign.

Cheers,

James

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Hi James

It sounds like you are looking for information used by software developers when developing applications for Windows.

You need to post this question on the MSDN forums, which is where all of the developers answer questions. Here are some links to those forums.

Software Development for Windows Client (MSDN Forums)

MSDN Forums Main Index

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

The developers pointed me here ;) I have spent a couple more days looking.

I am looking for systems administrator view, for example there are redirects in Windows 7 "Document and Settings" points to Users folder. This actually has performance isssues for example if you are using "Sage" .. Is there a document of redirects in Windows 7 listed anywhere?

I am looking for complete listing of this type of information but also the structure of windows. It is really suprising that this is not easy to find, we all support systems that we dont have a complete picture of windows file system structures. From the moment everyone use common sense or guesses but I would really like to actually have a document that says the directory structure of windows is this.  I can find this in Unix in nearly every manual.. /usr - Should be used X /var should used B .. This information is horrible piecemeal at the moment.. Somone must have a complete document of the structure ? surely?

;) Thanks again,

James

Friday, October 23, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I am a late-comer to Windows 7.  I have been looking for exactly the same thing as the previous writer, and have even bought 3 books about Win7 from Microsoft and O'Reilly.

Please tell me a link to Microsoft information that can be used by a NON-IT PROFESSIONAL.  I have a small-business network, and don't want to hire someone who may (or may NOT) know what she/he is doing.

I tried "Microsoft Easy Transfer" using the cable from old-WinXP-computer to new-Win7 computer, and made a horrible mess.  Next I used an external hard drive to copy the directories and files from another WinXP to another Win7 computer -- still not good enough -- did not have the exact info on WHAT TO COPY, AND WHERE TO "PASTE". 

WHAT I NEED IS AN EXACT METHOD - STEP-BY-STEP - FOR WHAT FILES AND DIRECTORIES SHOULD BE COPIED ON THE WINXP-COMPUTER AND "PASTED" ON A DIFFERENT WIN7-COMPUTER. I am not trying (at this time) to upgrade the XP-computers.

I am again tempted to change to Unix/Linux or Macintosh -- but I have a lot of money invested in Windows applications from Adobe and others - but this would mean yet another large investment of money and time.

copied from previous message
    I am looking for systems administrator view, for example there are redirects in Windows 7 "Document and Settings" points to Users folder. ....

I am looking for complete listing of this type of information but also the structure of windows. It is really suprising that this is not easy to find, we all support systems that we dont have a complete picture of windows file system structures. From the moment everyone use common sense or guesses but I would really like to actually have a document that says the directory structure of windows is this. I can find this in Unix in nearly every manual.  end of copy

• Proposed as answer by ldegranny Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:57 PM
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Hi, I don't know if this will hellp but I was having the same questions and I went and serched for the words, "file system" and it brought up some useful links. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:00 PM