none
Auto Restart Option in Windows 7

Question

• Is there a way I can set up power options to Restart on a nightly, weekly or monthly basis?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you try the following steps to restart the computer automatically nightly.

1.   Launch Task Scheduler.

2.   Click Action and select Create Basic task.

3.   Type AutoRestart (or others you want) in the Name box and click Next.

4.   Select Daily and click Next

5.   Type the time you want to restart the computer and click Next.

6.   Select Start a program and click Next.

7.   Click Brower and navigate to %SystemRoot%\System32 and select Shutdown.exe and click Open. Type –F –R in the Add arguments (optional) box and click Next.

8.   Click Finish.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 29, 2010 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi reynamwit,

You should be able to use Task Scheduler to schedule a task that runs when you wish it to, to invoke shutdown.exe with the -r parameter, to restart the system...
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Hi No Compromise

I too have the same question. Would like to enable an auto restart nightly. I have accesses task manager (windows 7) and got the shutdown set up as an exe. command but can't figure out how to set up the restart up. Or is there a way to set up a simple one step restart??
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you try the following steps to restart the computer automatically nightly.

1.   Launch Task Scheduler.

2.   Click Action and select Create Basic task.

3.   Type AutoRestart (or others you want) in the Name box and click Next.

4.   Select Daily and click Next

5.   Type the time you want to restart the computer and click Next.

6.   Select Start a program and click Next.

7.   Click Brower and navigate to %SystemRoot%\System32 and select Shutdown.exe and click Open. Type –F –R in the Add arguments (optional) box and click Next.

8.   Click Finish.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 29, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi

I tried your recommended setup and although at the prescribed time I get a quick screen flash, the HD doesn't restart. I should add I am running Windows7 64., if that is of help??
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Arthur_li: I too needed something like this for one of my clients. I just wanted to respond to thank you for posting as this does exactly what I am looking for. I'm setting it up so the computer reboots once every night while the office is closed.

Thanks again,

./Doug

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:51 AM
  • I would follow Arthur_li's instructions with one variation, put the shutdown command with the switch in a bat or cmd file, ie, restart.bat and schedule the batch file to run. I do this to restart some public terminals I rarely touch.

1) Start Notepad,

2) type c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -F -R

save the the file as a bat or cmd file, ie restart.bat, and schedule this batch file to run.

regards

Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:46 PM
  • thanks it works for me
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a way to make the windows7 log back in after an auto restart? When it restarts, it comes back up to the login screen. Is there a way to make it remember the password and log completely back in?

Thanks.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I effectively used this technique to schedule nightly reboots on Wyse CL90LE7. 

I first disabled the write filter and logged on as an administrator (required to make changes in Windows embedded)

I created a batch file in notepad containing the following string

c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /R /T 5 /F

saved as "autoshutdown.bat"

Then scheduled a task to run nightly at 2am.

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Hi there,

There is indeed a way to to this.

-   Click start and open the advanced user properties box by typing Netplwiz into the search box in the start menu and hitting enter.

-   In the Advanced User panel, deselect 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit ok.

-   You then have to enter the credentials for the account you wish to automatiacally log on with.

Done. This is a really handy feature if your machine relies on wireless and you want a daily reboot (using the task scheduler) whilst maintaining connectivity.

Also note that you still have to enter a password if the workstation is locked either manually or by using the screensaver autolock. And all someone has to do to gain access to your machine is reboot...

Hope this helps.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 3:05 PM
  • will that working on laptops 
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:15 PM
  • I have to restart because of our IT department insistence on running a anti virus scan that cannot be disabled. I have 2Tb of drive space, so its an impossible thing, and it grinds the computer to a halt. A reboot shuts it up.

Ed

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I have windows 7/64 and do not see this option. Where else might it be?

Ed

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:59 PM
    1. Change the following to work with x86 or x64:

7.   Enter shutdown in the start program field and type /f /r in the Add arguments (optional) box and click Next.
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 2:25 PM
  • You can also set up your windows7 powerplan to reboot nightly. (i discovered this through a very frustrating scenario whereby my machine would reboot automatically every night... trust me if you dont want this then such a hidden auto-reboot can be very frustrating).

To set this up go to Power Options:

Control Panel > Power Options > Power Saver

In my case the default power plan had a nightly auto-reboot setting built-in somewhere. I could not really figure out how or why this happened but when I created a new custom powerplan my pc stopped auto-rebooting itself.

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Actually for Windows 7 and above, this is a really good way to perform an action like daily reboots. Other suggestions were tied to older operating systems, like XP, wherein scripting may be a better idea and then place the script into the task scheduler. 

The ONE problem I had with what Arthur wrote was that he didn't make it a high priority task nor allow it to run while logged out of the user account. Once I did that, the task ran at night.

Keep up the great contributions, Arthur!

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:43 PM
  • I tried this and it was helpful. For Windows 7 and above, this is a better solution since the task scheduler is so much more robust. In windows XP it may be better to write a batch file that is one line of using the shutdown.exe command, and then install that bacth file (.bat) and call on it within task scheduler.

One addition to Arthurs helpful comment: It i s abetter idea to check the box to allow this action to work outside of a user account, and make it a higher priority bit. Also to understand that there are processes that run all the time within Windows 7, so scheduling this at 3AM - the default for Windows updates - is a bad idea. Also every Wednesday the defrag wants to run, as well as many tasks at 1AM on Sunday. So I just set mine to 1:55AM so the reboot doesn't conflict with those and others.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:52 PM
  • I tried this and it was helpful. For Windows 7 and above, this is a better solution since the task scheduler is so much more robust. In windows XP it may be better to write a batch file that is one line of using the shutdown.exe command, and then install that bacth file (.bat) and call on it within task scheduler.

One addition to Arthurs helpful comment: It i s abetter idea to check the box to allow this action to work outside of a user account, and make it a higher priority bit. Also to understand that there are processes that run all the time within Windows 7, so scheduling this at 3AM - the default for Windows updates - is a bad idea. Also every Wednesday the defrag wants to run, as well as many tasks at 1AM on Sunday. So I just set mine to 1:55AM so the reboot doesn't conflict with those and others.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:52 PM
  • This is a good point, too!  

You should mention the vendor of your machine so we can look for that power plan that may have been added by the OEM.

Another option you reminded me of was the fact that certain Dell systems offer the automatic reboot within BIOS!  So don't forget to explore that as an option to override the Operating system.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Do I need to configure this under the local Administrator profile for it to apply regardless of who is logged in? I have multi-user stations that need to be restarted each night regardless of whether someone is logged in or not.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:18 PM
  • The methods using power options or task scheduler did not work for me. I instead used a simple batch file I created in Notepad and scheduled it to run. This gives 60 secs notice then closes programs and reboots gracefully. I also set the comp to login and not use the login screen. I used this on servers for years but this is first time I used it on Win7x64 for QB Webex issues we are dealing with.

Place the following in a text file and rename it "reboot.bat"

echo off
    shutdown.exe -r -t 60

• Edited by Om_Audio Friday, April 25, 2014 9:54 AM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 9:52 AM