none
Xerox Phaser 3117 on Windows 7 32bit (Problem FIX info inside)

Question

• I encountered another annoying problem with my laser printer.
    I have a Xerox Phaser 3117 laser printer which won't print on Windows 7 Professional.
    The driver is installed correctly and there are no issues with it. 
    It just sends the printed data to the printer and stops right there.
    (note: it works fine on XP which is installed on the same computer)

Thanks again,
    Jake.
    • Edited by ZZCheetahZZ Monday, January 04, 2010 8:27 PM found a fix for all win7 users
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I also find that the Xerox Phaser 3117 Laser printer does not have support for Windows 7 from the Xerox website.

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

But I find that Xerox Phaser 3117 Laser is compatible with Windows 7 from the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

I would like to suggest you uninstall the current installed printer driver and try to install the printer driver via Windows Update.

If it does not work, you may also try install the printer driver under compatibility mode.

Install driver under compatibility mode & Administrator level

==================================

1.Right click on the exe file for driver and click Properties.

2.Click on the Compatibility tab.

3.Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.

4.Choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5.Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6.Click Apply, click OK.

7. Please double click on the exe file again.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, you may have to ask Xerox Support for when the Windows 7 compatible driver will be released.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I saw your reply just now, and I didn't try it.
    But,
    I managed with Xerox's support team in Israel to bypass this problem.
    What I did was installing similar Samsung drivers for my xerox printer..  it worked only when you install it in Manual mode.
    But who cares as long as it works, right?

Thanks for the help though..  :)

• Marked as answer by ZZCheetahZZ Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Here is a fix to the Xerox 3117/3124 installation on Windows 7 as I tested it:
    Download these drivers by Samsung ML-1640 series:
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=ph&CttFileID=1860604&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=ML-1640&VPath=DR/200909/20090918110335984/ML-1640_32bit.exe

Here's  also a link to the printer's page:
    http://www.samsung.com/ph/support/download/supportDown.do?group=&type=&subtype=&model_nm=ML-1640&disp_nm=ML-1640&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=&prd_ia_cd=06010400&model_cd=&menu=download

You can see this printer looks the same as the Xerox except its color   :)

* When windows finds new hardware, it will automatically find the Xerox drivers and try to install them. 
    * You can let windows install the Xerox drivers, But, you'll need to Update the driver manually.   you can do that by doing the following steps:
    Go to Start > enter: DEVICES AND PRINTERS > right click and choose: PRINTER PROPERTIES > click on the ADVANCED tab and then click on NEW DRIVER > again click NEXT > now you need to find the SAMSUNG brand on the left pane and choose HAVE DISK... > now go to the folder you downloaded the drivers to and find a file called: ssp2m.inf    (it should be in: ML-1640\Printer\SPL\WINXP_2000_VISTA_32\ssp2m.inf )
    After all these steps you'll see that the Xerox Printer changes its name to SAMSUNG ML-1640.
    Now you can finally print with no problems..  :)  

BTW, I should note that you won't be able to print with a DPI settings lower than 600 DPI with this driver.   you can choose now between 600 and 1200 DPI.
    Don't know why so please don't ask.. :)

• Marked as answer by ZZCheetahZZ Monday, January 04, 2010 8:26 PM
    • Edited by ZZCheetahZZ Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:50 PM Fixed links
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:25 PM

All replies

• Well it's been a week now, and I got no answer from Xerox support team about the subject.
    It does say on their website, that models 3117 and 3124 are not supported in win7.
    I think it's absurd that such a good laser printer with a world known brand like Xerox isn't supported in win7.

Meanwhile I'm open to suggestions...
    Monday, December 07, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

I also find that the Xerox Phaser 3117 Laser printer does not have support for Windows 7 from the Xerox website.

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

But I find that Xerox Phaser 3117 Laser is compatible with Windows 7 from the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

I would like to suggest you uninstall the current installed printer driver and try to install the printer driver via Windows Update.

If it does not work, you may also try install the printer driver under compatibility mode.

Install driver under compatibility mode & Administrator level

==================================

1.Right click on the exe file for driver and click Properties.

2.Click on the Compatibility tab.

3.Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.

4.Choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5.Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6.Click Apply, click OK.

7. Please double click on the exe file again.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, you may have to ask Xerox Support for when the Windows 7 compatible driver will be released.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I saw your reply just now, and I didn't try it.
    But,
    I managed with Xerox's support team in Israel to bypass this problem.
    What I did was installing similar Samsung drivers for my xerox printer..  it worked only when you install it in Manual mode.
    But who cares as long as it works, right?

Thanks for the help though..  :)

• Marked as answer by ZZCheetahZZ Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Please post the link to the samsung driver or it's name, and if you can also a quick guide on how did you installed it.
    It's a big problem around the world, you can help a lot of people.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Here is a fix to the Xerox 3117/3124 installation on Windows 7 as I tested it:
    Download these drivers by Samsung ML-1640 series:
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=ph&CttFileID=1860604&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=ML-1640&VPath=DR/200909/20090918110335984/ML-1640_32bit.exe

Here's  also a link to the printer's page:
    http://www.samsung.com/ph/support/download/supportDown.do?group=&type=&subtype=&model_nm=ML-1640&disp_nm=ML-1640&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=&prd_ia_cd=06010400&model_cd=&menu=download

You can see this printer looks the same as the Xerox except its color   :)

* When windows finds new hardware, it will automatically find the Xerox drivers and try to install them. 
    * You can let windows install the Xerox drivers, But, you'll need to Update the driver manually.   you can do that by doing the following steps:
    Go to Start > enter: DEVICES AND PRINTERS > right click and choose: PRINTER PROPERTIES > click on the ADVANCED tab and then click on NEW DRIVER > again click NEXT > now you need to find the SAMSUNG brand on the left pane and choose HAVE DISK... > now go to the folder you downloaded the drivers to and find a file called: ssp2m.inf    (it should be in: ML-1640\Printer\SPL\WINXP_2000_VISTA_32\ssp2m.inf )
    After all these steps you'll see that the Xerox Printer changes its name to SAMSUNG ML-1640.
    Now you can finally print with no problems..  :)  

BTW, I should note that you won't be able to print with a DPI settings lower than 600 DPI with this driver.   you can choose now between 600 and 1200 DPI.
    Don't know why so please don't ask.. :)

• Marked as answer by ZZCheetahZZ Monday, January 04, 2010 8:26 PM
    • Edited by ZZCheetahZZ Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:50 PM Fixed links
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Also, the driver on the  Xerox Support Site for windows XP does not work and it's not the same as phaser 3117 disk with the printer box.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Hi i found your method works but i don't have the smart panel working for the samsung ml1640 driver with my phaser 3124. Printer's running ok but i just don't have the status monitering features available to see how much toner i have left.

any help with that?

thanks.

Friday, August 20, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Xerox Phaser 3117 Driver of versions, click the link to install the connection.
    Easy come
    Friday, December 31, 2010 8:39 AM