none
Error - File:\Boot\BCD status 0xc000000f

Question

• Hi guys.

I've got an HP Pavilion Notebook with VISTA Home Premium.

I tried to boot it up this morning and I have the following black screen error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Boot\BCD
    Status 0xc000000f

An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I get the normal insert disk message, the thing is, I don't have a disk to run (rather foolishly I never burnt the disk from the partitioned drive)

Can anyone please help me?

Many thanks
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:33 AM

Answers

• Michael

There isn't a lot we can do in this situation without an installation disk.

I suggest that you cut your loses and contact HP to see what recovery options they configured on that particular system. They may have a way that you can access the recovery partition with keyboard shortcuts during bootup. I know that some HP systems have a way to even backup your personal files if the system cannot boot.

The recovery options for pre-installed OEM systems are configured by the PC maker and can vary from system to system.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:08 AM

All replies

• Michael

I suggest that you cut your loses and contact HP to see what recovery options they configured on that particular system. They may have a way that you can access the recovery partition with keyboard shortcuts during bootup. I know that some HP systems have a way to even backup your personal files if the system cannot boot.

The recovery options for pre-installed OEM systems are configured by the PC maker and can vary from system to system.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:08 AM
  • For the HP try pressing F11 whe the system is about to boot, normally you will get into the Recovery Module, when you select Advanced you will be able to select system recovery to an earlier known point in time. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Michael

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

file:bootcd/bcd
    • Proposed as answer by mohammad_ha_62 Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:40 AM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:40 AM