none
wifi connected - but 'no internet access'

Question

• My Sony Vaio VGN-nw20 with an Intel (R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN connects fine to whatever wifi network I ask it to - but never gives me internet access. I'm on windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

After reading many other threads and trying lots of alternatives, including disabling the IPv6, resetting the TCP/IP, switching off all firewalls, and so on, I still can't get it to work reliably.

The problem first arose after an update which it picked up in January this year. Since then it has come and gone on its connection - but I don't use it every day. Does that give any clues as to what I can do to get it working again?

Thanks in advance

R

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Use other static DNS

a. Click "Start" menu, type "ncpa.cpl" (without quotation marks) in Search Box and press "OK".

b. Select your local network.

c. Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

d. Click Properties.

e. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.222.222

f. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

2. Reset WinSock

a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 

b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter.

Netsh winsock reset

d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer.

Thanks,

Novak

• Proposed as answer by Chris Steding Monday, June 07, 2010 11:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:28 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies

• Hi

When the WIFI states that it connected it might be that it "sees" your Wireless Router SSID but it does not obtain a valid IP and thus cannot “go” to the Internet.

Check for the IP, if it is the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx type it is Not a valid functional IP.

This issue usually stems from a mismatch between the setting of the card and the credentials of the wireless Router. Firewall or other security measure blocking the connection can count for this phenomenon too.

As a first step, you can try temporarily to disable the Wireless Security Encryption  in the Wireless Router and see if you get a valid connection.

Jack, MVP - Networking.
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Use other static DNS

a. Click "Start" menu, type "ncpa.cpl" (without quotation marks) in Search Box and press "OK".

b. Select your local network.

c. Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

d. Click Properties.

e. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.222.222

f. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

2. Reset WinSock

a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 

b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter.

Netsh winsock reset

d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer.

Thanks,

Novak

• Proposed as answer by Chris Steding Monday, June 07, 2010 11:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:28 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:51 AM
  • I'm afraid I don't know which one of these helped me - but it is now working.

Thanks

R

Monday, June 07, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Heyy bro thanks for your help it was great keep up the good work mate :) 

my internet issue was fixed yeaaaa

Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:47 AM
  • This worked for me!!! This one : a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter. Netsh winsock reset d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer. THANKS!!!
    Friday, July 05, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Wow, thanks Novak. I have no understanding of why this works but step 1e did it for me after many frustrating hours. If you ever come to Beijing dinner's on me.
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Thank you Man , Command Prompt solution working....
    Monday, November 04, 2013 11:55 AM
  • It is 2014, so perhaps no one can reply...but.  I have (had) wifi connection but no internet access, as described in this thread. I applied the "solution" described for resetting the winsock catalog.  Now, the Laptop will not start. Screen comes up to start normally or start with Repair files and both blank out after a few seconds.  Clearly something has gone dreadfully wrong.

Running Win 7 Home Premium on Compaq CQ62-423NR Notebook PC

Any help out there?

I will repost this as an original message as connecting to a 2010 thread may get this lost.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I used to have this problem on my older laptop. Solution: 18 months ago, I bought a new laptop and I use the older one as a workstation only.

Now... the same thing has happened to the new computer.

So far: I've done multiple scans. I did have something going on last week and I thought I'd taken care of it. Ironically, the internet was available during that time, so I'm not sure what that's all about. I think this is a separate problem. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device driver for my wireless... no change.

I was able to get into safe mode (I'd actually had a problem: stuck on classpnp.sys last week so I couldn't even get into safe mode, but that problem also seems cleared up now). As I was saying, I managed to get into safe mode and I had chosen safe mode with networking. And now the networking works, at least only in safe mode.

I'm going to try a few things:

1. I'll go into my router via another computer and release its connection to my ISP, then reconnect. I'm also going to assign a static IP from the router to my affected computer, by reading the MAC address on the serial number label and entering it into the router DHCP table.
    2. I think I'll also run one or two of the cmd lines I've seen (but not the winsock one, based on your experience!) and print the results from safe mode, and then compare the results in regular Windows mode to look for differences.
    3. I read a post for a different problem, one posted by Ugumba. It has to do with the opposite of my problem: their computers are seeing the internet but the tray icon tells them they're not connected. Ugumba mentioned a particular location in the registry and so I'm going to investigate that once I figure out what to do and not to do in the registry.

I'll check back here and post more later if I see that you've logged on again and replied. If you've found a solution in the meantime, I'd appreciate knowing it.

Thanks,

Dev

Monday, March 03, 2014 7:17 PM