none
. . . referenced account is currently locked out . . . not happy (Vista x64)!

Question

•  

When one's own computer prevents oneself from logging on, said person is likely to become very irate!

Situation:

When trying to log in or relog into my account I get the message "the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to"

This error message is present on each of the administrator accounts when a) logging in, b) relogging in after screensaver activates, and c) when trying to manage either account via the Guest Account.

The Password Reset system fails to reset the password with 'errors' reported.

Background:

This is the 2nd time I've had this problem.  The first time was after I turned OFF the "User Account Control" as part of a possible solution for another Vista problem.  I recovered from that by beginning to re-install Visa and doing a 'repair"

There were no problems until today when I turned on the "Guest" account for some visiting family.  While the Guest account gives me the limited access I cannot log into either Administrator accounts which are established.

Enivronment:

Vista Ultimate x64 on and AMD twin-core CPU with 2GB RAM

NOW Microsoft, how do I correct this Vista problem please and prevent it from occuring every again?????????????

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:22 AM

Answers

•  

Hi MudMaps,

Thank you for the reply.

The issue can occur if you have mistyped the password several times and the system will block the account for logging on.

In this case, I suggest checking the following settings:

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2. Click Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Account Lockout Policy.

3. Double-click Account lockout threshold, and type 0 to make “the account will not lock out”.

4. Click OK.

In addition, I would like to know if you have changed the password recently.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:20 AM

All replies

•  

Hi MudMaps,

Thank you for the post.

Before we go further, please help confirm the following five points

1. Does the error message appear when you try to access the Windows Vista computer from other computers? Does the error occur when accessing from all computers?

2. How many computers are in your network? Are they all running Windows Vista?

3. Are your computers in a domain or a workgroup?

4. Is the password for the account blank?

5. What error appears when resetting the password?

6. Is the password of the account expired?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:08 AM
  • G'day Tim

OK, details as follows:

1. Have only tried when accessing the computer from itself, not from any other
    2. No other computers on the network at present, only a printer and router (home office scenario)
    3. Workgroup only
    4. No - password is not blank (is complex)
    5. Resetting password via the disk gives an error (from memory) that 'an error has occured and the change cannot be done' [can't replicate as I've recovered to older recovery point)
    6. No - password is not expired.  No change to standard polices in this area.

As this is a fairly significant error I was surprised to see this occur without explicit user-initiated action.

Hope you have some directions to point me in

thanks

Mark

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  

Hi MudMaps,

Thank you for the reply.

The issue can occur if you have mistyped the password several times and the system will block the account for logging on.

In this case, I suggest checking the following settings:

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2. Click Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Account Lockout Policy.

3. Double-click Account lockout threshold, and type 0 to make “the account will not lock out”.

4. Click OK.

In addition, I would like to know if you have changed the password recently.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:20 AM
  • Tim

I'll try that suggestion although this is not the cause of the problem.

I was not able to log into ANY Accounts other than the non-passworded Guest account.  No the passwords had not been changed lately and no the lockout policy was not invoked from wrong passwords as I actually tried the password after the required wait period.

What else could be the problem?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:18 PM
  •  

Hi MudMaps,

Thank you for the reply.

I recommend you try the suggestions in my previous post first. probably

If the value of “Account lockout threshold” is not set as 0, it is possibly the cause of this issue. Please set it as 0 to test the issue.

This issue can be caused by third-party software conflicts or virus infections.

You can perform a Clean Boot to disable third-party programs and services at startup.

How to Perform Clean Boot:

==================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

In addition, I found some people have encountered the similar issue (The local accounts on Windows machines are getting locked out frequently without any users being logged in) and its cause turns out to be virus infections.

Therefore, I recommend keeping your anti-virus programs up-to-date and performing a full virus scan.

I have included the following website which lists some Windows Vista compatible anti-virus software for your reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/viruses/vista/av.mspx

Hope it helps.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:21 AM
  • Thanks Tim

I can confirm that I've had 64 bit Anti-Virus software installed from early on in my Vista64 days.

Since resetting the Account Lockout Threshold to 0 I've successfully performed 2 User Account functions that previously created a lockout situation:

1.  Turning on and off the Guest account, and

2.  Deleting a spare user account

As both worked OK I'll leave the Account Lockout Threshold at 0 rather than the standard 180 minutes.

We can probably close this issue for now.  Thanks again for your help and I hope you feed this bug and workaround back to the Developer and Testers

cheers

MudMaps

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:15 AM
  •  

Hi MudMaps,

Thank you for the feedback.

I am glad to hear that the cause of issue has been found. I appreciate your time and effort on this issue.

We always welcome customer feedback and thank you for providing us with your comments. I will add this information to our database and it will be helpful if other customers encounter the same issue in the future.

At this time, I will mark this thread as “Answered”. If you have any issues regarding Windows Vista in the future, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards,
    Tim Quan
    Friday, November 16, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Tim,

I am having the same issue - but XP.

I went into the "Local Security" to reset Account lockout threshold - but the is GREYED out and am logged in as the Administrator to the box.

Having issues betweeen systems on domain, useres on daomian ok but users logging into system and not domain having connection issues.

Naomi

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hi

I have a client with the same issues, Vista complaining that the account is locked out.  This is when they try to connect to their VPN and open mapped drives.  The VPN actually connects, IP correct etc.  They try to connect to 2 mapped drives.  This takes several attemps after 3 "network paths not found" it then askes for the username and password.  Once entered it then complains about the "account being locked out".  If I test the account using Terminal Services (both directly using the Internet IP and using the VPN and the servers IP) I can log in with no problem at all.  Their other laptops that use XP have no problems only the Vista Laptops.  When it gives me the option to enter a username and password, if I use the Administrator account I have no problems.  The users are members of the Administrators group.  Why does Vista complain about the account when they try to connect to mapped drives yet at the same time the account works in Terminal Services?  The setup is as follows:

Win2003 Server Domain Controller

Vista Laptops connecting to VPN through 3com Officeconnect Router VPN.  Usersname on 3com the same as network password different.  Laptop Username and Password the same as network.

This has become a major problem for them as staff cannot work. 

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:03 PM
  • My solution was to ditch Vista (for this and other constant bluescreening issues) and go back to XP.

Much happier now.

Will Microsoft recover form Vista?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Hi Tim

I have the same error message on Vista home premium.  This is for a Company we look after.  They have several laptops that belong to a workgroup.  They have 2 mapped drives on the laptops.  When they are in the office connected to the network they can access these drives with no problem.  When they connect via a VPN connection remotely and then try to go to the mapped drives that is when they get the message that the account is locked out (they use the VPN for 80% of their work so is a real problem).  I tried to look at your suggestion via Administrative tools but there is no Local Security option therefore I cannot change any settings.  When they acces the VPN it autentecates through the VPN itself it is only when they try to access the mapped drives on the server that the message appears. 

Their network is:

Win2003 server running a domain for 2 pc's on the Domain.  The laptops are on a workgroup and work fine whilst in the office. 

This is a real problem for us so your help would be appreciated.

Trevor

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:09 PM
  •  

Hi

I have the same error message on Vista home premium.  This is for a Company we look after.  They have several laptops that belong to a workgroup.  They have 2 mapped drives on the laptops.  When they are in the office connected to the network they can access these drives with no problem.  When they connect via a VPN connection remotely and then try to go to the mapped drives that is when they get the message that the account is locked out (they use the VPN for 80% of their work so is a real problem).  I tried to look at your suggestion via Administrative tools but there is no Local Security option therefore I cannot change any settings.  When they acces the VPN it autentecates through the VPN itself it is only when they try to access the mapped drives on the server that the message appears. 

Their network is:

Win2003 server running a domain for 2 pc's on the Domain.  The laptops are on a workgroup and work fine whilst in the office. 

This is a real problem for us so your help would be appreciated.

Trevor

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Trevor;

Apparently I am coming late to the party, but can you provide a few additional details?

1. What VPN solution is being used?
      2. Can you confirm that the users are attempting access with ordinary AD User accounts?
      3. When you say "there is no Local Security option therefore I cannot change any settings", do you refer to the laptop or the server end?

I am presupposing that when you say they work fine whilst in the office you mean that they are able to access the mapped drives with no limitations, and that when you say 2 mapped drives on the laptops you don't mean that the users cannot access shares that are hosted on the laptops themselves, but that the laptops are configured to access a share on the server.  Am I correct in these?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hi Ed

The VPN is PPTP through a 3Com VPN router.  Yes the users are using standard user accounts (the username and password to log into their laptops is the same as their account on the server).  One of you collegues suggested gping to Control Panel, Administrative tools, and Local Security Policy and setting the User Account Locked out setting to 0 but we have no Local Security Policy in Administrative Tools on the laptops.  They have 2 mapped drives on each laptop.  1 is the "common Drive" and the other is their own user folder.  Both of these are on the server.  When they are in the office they have no problems accessing these drives.  It is only once they are out of the office and connected to the VPN that the error message comes up.  They have no problem connecting to the VPN (this uses the same username but a different password for better security).  It is only when they try to acces the drives that Vista complains.

When the laptops are first setup they have a "generic password" we setup whilst we setup the laptop.  Once the user supplies us with a secure password we change it for that user.  It seems to be once we change the password Vista throws up the error.  The Domain for the server is AAL the workgroup is also AAL (which the laptops use).  This was never a problem with XP or 2000.  The user accounts on the server have an Account locked out option but it is greyed out (logged in as Administrator).

Hope this helps.

Trevor

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:32 AM
  •  njbrewhaw wrote:

Tim,

I went into the "Local Security" to reset Account lockout threshold - but the is GREYED out and am logged in as the Administrator to the box.

Having issues betweeen systems on domain, useres on daomian ok but users logging into system and not domain having connection issues.

Naomi

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:59 PM
  •  njbrewhaw wrote:

Tim,

Naomi

Was this greyed lockout ever resolved?  I have the same lockout problem logged in as admin under Vista.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:00 PM
  •  

I have tried to change the account lockout threshold to 5 but it is greyed out. I am using Vista.  I am logged in locally as admin but have also tried to log into the domain using my admin account. nothing works.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Hi

Try this.  Create a new account on both the Domain and local pc.  Ensure both accounts are identical (i.e case sensitive etc)  Then try logging in.  If you get the same error when logged into the pc run a dos command and type whoami  What result did you get?  When I tried this for a test account Fred the whoami came back as fred with no caps.  I tried to resolve the problem we had and ended up installing XP, XP worked fine, has better functions than vista, and is a lot more reliable.  There are too many versions of Vista (come on Microsoft keep it simple XP home and pro fine know where you are)  different versions have different problems.  Manufactures of printers etc not doing drivers for some printers as Vista too much of a problem (some printers only 18Mths old!).  One last thing if your Domain is say Fred what is the workgroup on the Vista PC?  Try making it Fred as a workgroup.

As an experiment on Vista I could recreate the account lockout easily.  Create an account and ensure both identical.  In my case there was also a seperate password for the VPN router (better security).  Could connect to the server via VPN no problem.  Changed the password for the VPN router.  Used the new password and guess what account locked out.  Create another new user.  Worked fine.  Changed the user password on the server and PC.  And again account locked out.  The problem seems to be the way Vista authenticates the user credentials.  And it IS Vista that locks out not the Server!!

So if you know the answer to this Microsoft let me know but in the meantime, like many others, when this and other problems happen on clients Vista PC's, we have no chioce but to install XP. 

• Proposed as answer by Ang340 Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:38 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:50 AM
  • I dont beleive this has anything to do with locked out domain accounts/passwords/local security account policies

Solution I have found to resolve this issue is

CREATE A user account on the LOCAL PC (at home) which matches the DOMAIN ACCOUNT  (that you use in the office) and USE the same password (Always keep the accounts synched - in terms of passwords) so if you are in the office and you change your domain account password make sure you change the local pc account to the same password.

so eg if the domain account is xyz\john - password = 123456

Then create an account on the local pc (workgroup\JOHN) and make sure the password is the same as the domain account password.

Make sure you log onto the local pc account using these credentials (workgroup\john password = 12345)!

Hey presto this should do the trick, no more locked account ! 

Hope this works for you

Happy VPN'ing !
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I'm having the same problem. My Admin account is locked out and so could not work out on this resolution also. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:12 AM
  •  Many thanks to the solutions on here as last night I ran into a simlar problem on Home Server.

Wife noticed that she could look in the pictures folder (where she had full rights) but couldn't create a folder.
    I looked at it, checked passwords on her syste and the server, made sure they were the same.
    She had no access to the public or software shares, no problem on the video shares, and no write ability to her own folder on the server.
    So to narrow down the problem I created a user account that was the same as I used on my main system with the same password.
    I then had no problems accessing anything so I figured it had to do with her profile.
    So, stupidly I changed user names on my account to her user name and password after deleting her old account as I had everything backed up. 
    A few times an error came up saying that the passwords were different and gave me the option to fix it.
    That is where the problems started I think.
    All of a sudden, my wifes computer could access all the areas that were my shares that she shouldn't have had access too, even though her password and username were her own.  It was like it had carried over my info somehow.
    My own home server somehow locked me out of my system.
    I was able to use the Administrator username and password that I had to log in locally to the home server and do the suggestions earlier in this thread and that fixed the problem up completely.
    Now I am curious as to what happened so I can avoid it in the future.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Tim,

I'm in NEED of Some HELP.  At a complete WORK STOPPAGE at Work.  ALL of the USER Accounts on my PC are LOCKED OUT. (1 USER Acct and 2 with ADMIN Group Priv)  The Built-in ADMIN Acct is Disabled.  I'm connected to a Govt Network, set up as a workgroup.  No AD

Running Windows Vista Enterprise, Build 6002, SP2 On a Dell E6400 Laptop.  I was running FINE until I went to set up another user acct, using my login with admin priv.  It had been awhile, so I created a TEST User to check out a few things and then deleted without resetting  a password.  The new user I created just had me put in the name so I had no clue what the password was to give him for initial log-in, but I did not reset it before logging out.  The message I'm getting when I try to log-in to ALL Accounts is: "The Referenced Account is currently Locked Out and May Not Be Logged On To"  I have booted in Safe Mode, but I'm not seeing ADMIN Account, which I had previously re-named to something other than Administrator and Disabled, per our Security Policy.  I'm not sure what option you select in Safe Mode to boot from a point in time before the problem was created.  I found these threads when I did a SEARCH for the problem on MS Site.  Not sure what else to do without having to rebuild.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Hi, firstly thanks for posting; I find this article to be really helpful.

I installed Windows Live Essentials 2011 on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop and started to use Windows Live Family Safety only just 2 days ago. As the program requires me to set accounts to monitor (e.g. admin a/c or dcl-XXXXXX, the computer default a/c) I actually have 2 accounts on my computer and i chose: Web filtering and Activity Filtering: ON for my'admin' account (the default Computer) The first time I was asked to set a password on the Admin a/c i was locked out.(The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged in to) Frantrically trying to login again and ask for help after that I presume that it is due to some security settings I have made to the account. The butt of it was that this was not the first time i encountered such message; I was locked out too while changing my VPN in my organisation.

After I came across this article while Google Search about this problem I have tried the above steps: Local Security Policy and found out that the threshold was greyed out. I logged in with administrator priveleges ; i am an administrator myself. Is there a help-issue on this on the Microsoft Support?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:49 PM
  • umm excuse me

how can you do ALL that when you can't even go into your computer???

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi Tim Quan,

How abot Windows7 Home Premium, how to solve this issue?

Thanks

Regards,

Sonny

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:12 AM